What's new

Maggard Slant

I bought a Maggard Slant a while back. it was the head only which is OK as a have a few handles. The listing told that the blade would fit slightly loose into the cap, but it was easy to center the blade before tightening the handle. They determined that the cost to redesign the cover for a better fit was too much to economically feasible but it should still be very usable razor. I shave with it a few times right after receiving it. It seemed OK but not really special. For those of you that have noticed my posts you may remember that I like cartridges. I still try a DE once in a while, perhaps to remind myself why I prefer cartridges. Really though wet shaving is an adventure and I like to change things up once in a while.

Now to the main point. I had one of the best shaves I can remember from a DE this morning, until I started using the other side. I'm guessing the blade wasn't centered. The other side was really rough. I even nicked myself near the left ear. I finished the shave with the good side.

So you may want to avoid this razor unless you just want it for display, which is where mine is going.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Slants are weird. Not the easiest razor to transition to from a cartridge. And it is hard to know that the blade is aligned properly. They will bite you, big time.

I have Maggards slant razor. It gets regular use and I've never had a problem with centering the blade or getting nicked. Delivers a close comfortable shave every time, with a wide assortment of blades.

Maggards Slant Heads do have a centering issue, but I just roll up or down in to the cutting angle until it starts cutting. It did catch me a few times when I just started with it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Maggards Slant Heads do have a centering issue, but I just roll up or down in to the cutting angle until it starts cutting. It did catch me a few times when I just started with it.
Any idea who manufactures their slanted heads?

I have had some issues with the Maggard alignment on the slant, more than any other slant razor. But, it's very inexpensive so I don't begrudge it. Just like I don't expect McDonalds to provide me the same quality I would expect from Emeril's

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
I love the Maggard slant. But I've been shaving with slants for two decades, starting with the Merkur. Piclkd up the RR German 37 along the way -- very similar to the Merkur.
The Maggard is a little more challenging, and as a result, a little more rewarding.
DSCF0006 - Edited (5).jpg
From time to time I have had alignment issues with all three -- not uncommon for slants. Loading the blade in a slant takes a little experience. And not everyone has there own system, as evidenced by a number of previous threads on slants.

The Maggard slant is a bit more tricky to adjust the blade alignment, with the blade tabs being fully covered by the top and base plate.

First time I loaded it with a blade it took a while to align. Once you find a good way to load the blade, the alignment is often fine or just slightly out.

I after 6 shaves with the Maggard slant, each shave is getting closer and better. All the shaves have been extremely smooth with no irritation so far. I found the RR G37 & 37C easier to use from the first shave and also quite close. However the Maggard slant is a lot smoother with less irritation than the G37 or 37C for me.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
The Maggard slant is a bit more tricky to adjust the blade alignment, with the blade tabs being fully covered by the top and base plate.

First time I loaded it with a blade it took a while to align. Once you find a good way to load the blade, the alignment is often fine or just slightly out.

I after 6 shaves with the Maggard slant, each shave is getting closer and better. All the shaves have been extremely smooth with no irritation so far. I found the RR G37 & 37C easier to use from the first shave and also quite close. However the Maggard slant is a lot smoother with less irritation than the G37 or 37C for me.
From the Maggard webste:

The head sometimes requires manual blade alignment.
Although testers all said it wasn’t a huge problem, there is, without a doubt – a fair amount of play in the blade fitting. Now — all slant razors typically have SOME play – but I would say that ours has more than the average slant. This is due to the fact that the original 1930’s razor it is modeled from also had the same characteristics. The two alignment pegs needed to be about 5 thousands larger to resolve this issue – but the costs to modify and re-tool were just too high, so, we decided to release it anyway, because we feel like the benefits of this head far outweigh this minor inconvenience. 90% of the time, you can load a blade without thinking and it will be just fine. But, double checking before tightening down your handle isn’t a terrible idea. Again, this is a trade off to meet our price target. Every single head we’ve test fitted (and it’s been a lot, believe me), is able to be properly aligned with a small amount of effort. The easiest way is to drop on the blade to the top cap, align it with the top cap edges, hold it there on the ends of the cap, and then put the base plate on and tighten down the handle. If it still doesn’t appear straight, loosen the handle a couple turns and use your fingers to make slight adjustments. If you don’t like this trade off, we wouldn’t recommend purchasing our slant razor.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
From the Maggard webste: [...] If you don’t like this trade off, we wouldn’t recommend purchasing our slant razor.

One of the reasons I love slants so much is that they are definitively NOT plug-and-play. Kinda like an old pickup truck:

Kid: "It won't start."

Me: "Did you pull out the choke?"

Kid: "What's a 'choke'?"

Me: "Did you prime it?"

Kid: "What's 'prime'?"

Me: "We got some basic work to do here. Here's the key to your Mom's Honda."

O.H.

One of the reasons I love slants so much is that they are definitively NOT plug-and-play. Kinda like an old pickup truck:

Kid: "It won't start."

Me: "Did you pull out the choke?"

Kid: "What's a 'choke'?"

Me: "Did you prime it?"

Kid: "What's 'prime'?"

Me: "We got some basic work to do here. Here's the key to your Mom's Honda."

O.H.

That's true, the little bit of effort is worth it in the end.

I normally wash off the razor and blade after the shave. Then dry off and reassemble ready for the next shave.
Once you get used to aligning different slants, they get easier to do, and it becomes automatic.

The Maggard slant is well worth the effort. Just used the German 37 for a change today. It was a DFS, but not as smooth as the Maggard slant.

I feel like the oddball in that I’ve never had an issue with blade alignment in mine. You can’t beat the value compared to other slants.

Top Bottom