What's new

Maggard Razors Part II

Hello!

Got my second parcel from Maggards and... WOW! Standard Razors in 4 parts. Is it ok?

Thanks

P.S. Top plastic bag is the razor
IMG_20190607_145955.jpg

IMG_20190607_144105.jpg

Looks like it's what it's suppose to be. If the post wasn't threaded on both sides, I'd say it was damaged, however, it's probably designed that way so the screw post can be replaced if it is damaged. I'm not certain if the post is suppose to be installed into the handle prior to shipping at all, but if it was sealed in a bag, I'd say that is how it normally ships.

that's a cool design, I've got an old Standard and that seems to be the weakest part of the design

It looks like, all their razors have a double screw post. This makes perfect sense from a structural standpoint as their entire razor is made out of aluminum. Aluminum is a soft metal so a screw post would be more prone to damage and breaking from over tightening. My guess to counter this they went with a steel post screw which has to be added after the initial casting of the head. Why they didn't put some sort of thread locking compound on it is beyond me (probably to lower cost). Because the lack of thread lock the post possibly loosened in transit from China (manufacturer) to the Texas (Standard Razors) to Michigan (Maggards) then to you. I wouldn't fret to much, just install the screw with some thread lock and you should be good to go.

Actually, looking at their websites Blog it looks like this was a common occurrence prior to June 2017: Standard Razors June 2017 Update

Looks like the initial batch of razors did not have thread lock holding the posts in. And it looks like the ones on Maggards' website are that initial batch from prior to 2017.

Last edited:
According to Maggards:

It is my understanding that there are no changes to the design of the standard razor over the years.

Brad

According to manufacturer:

Upgrades include:

• Changes to the top cap and base plate to allow a secure and consistent fit for your blade of choice, leading to a better and more comfortable shaving experience
  • Modifications to the handle and other areas of the razor for tighter tolerances all around
  • Permanently affixed screw - no longer are you in danger of losing your screw when you change your blade
  • Packaging! We have worked with our design and manufacturing partners to create packaging that both looks great and will protect your razor from the time it is made to the time it arrives at your home and beyond. This was long overdue, but we wanted to make sure we did it the right way!

So Maggards don't know what they sale or just don't tell truth. But it's so easy to visit manufacturer's site!

UPD:

OK well, I am sorry, Standard Razors never told their retailers about this change.

Brad

Unless they had the new razors in stock, which were released last year, nothing really changed. If the stock they had is from prior to 2017, then nothing had changed. It is for a fact, that these are not the new series. The new series includes a box for packaging (part of the "new features"). The original design was just packaged in a bag like you got.

Unless they had the new razors in stock, which were released last year, nothing really changed. If the stock they had is from prior to 2017, then nothing had changed. It is for a fact, that these are not the new series. The new series includes a box for packaging (part of the "new features"). The original design was just packaged in a bag like you got.
Thank you!

Standard Razors answered:
Hi, thanks for your message! Those are our version 1 razors- in 4 parts with no box. We have updated the design and made a lot of improvements to our v2 razors. Check out our bio

I did it at their site =)
Yea I saw that for the gun metal version but that info is missing for silver version, and I just think that if the vendor put that detail somewhere in the description, for both, it would be nice in the interest of full disclosure.

I have the v1. No issues with not having permanent screw. Tolerances seem fine, and the razor shaved great. If only I liked light weight aluminum razors . . .

I have the v1. No issues with not having permanent screw. Tolerances seem fine, and the razor shaved great. If only I liked light weight aluminum razors . . .

Yes, just shaved with it and think it's great razor! So I ordered LOCTITE 242 and will fix it. Issue is one but very important - you always have chance to drop it to drainpipe

If that’s your preference, but I wouldn’t not use it in the meantime. The screw will not pop out once assembled and then taken apart again. It will remain in the cap or the handle, depending on which has been screwed in harder.

If that’s your preference, but I wouldn’t not use it in the meantime. The screw will not pop out once assembled and then taken apart again. It will remain in the cap or the handle, depending on which has been screwed in harder.
Thank you

Отправлено с моего STF-L09 через Tapatalk

WOW. I planned to order something from them but after reading your two post I really start to question it
Maybe you think I'm unlucky :) But look at that parcel from another US Shop! It's looks awful but everything is all right!
proxy.php
proxy.php

Отправлено с моего BTV-DL09 через Tapatalk

Top Bottom