What's new

"Made-Rite" Shaving Brushes

I couldn't think of a better forum and sub-forum to ask this question.

Does anyone know anything about the history or even the era of the "Made-Rite" brush? I found one at an antique store recently and it looked in unused condition. I can post a photo later but the one I have has a black over white (ivory) handle and is stamped:

Made-Rite
Set In Rubber
Made in USA

Just wondering if any vintage brush experts can tell me anything about the Made-Rite brand. It sure looks just like an Ever-Ready.

There was an old thread with a similar question. No real answers.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/130352-Made-Rite-History

Does anyone know anything about the history or even the era of the "Made-Rite" brush? I found one at an antique store recently and it looked in unused condition. I can post a photo later but the one I have has a black over white (ivory) handle and is stamped:

Made-Rite
Set In Rubber
Made in USA

Just wondering if any vintage brush experts can tell me anything about the Made-Rite brand. It sure looks just like an Ever-Ready.

It looks like they are still in business:

http://www.ishcc.org/NY/Bronx/made-rite-brush-manufacturing-co-inc

Made-Rite
Set In Rubber
Made in USA

Hey thanks, that helps. Looks like incorporation filed in 1969 and inactive as of 1991. Maybe we have a window of the 70's and 80's when they were making brushes.

NYS Entity Status
INACTIVE - Dissolution by Proclamation / Annulment of Authority (Dec 24, 1991)

NYS Filing Date
JUNE 26, 1969

NYS DOS ID#

County
BRONX

Jurisdiction
NEW YORK

I realize this is an old thread but I’ve been digging for some info on Made Rite for a while now. I was able to find this listing in the 1945 U.S. patent office listings. So it looks like Made Rite was indeed started before the 1960’s.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Found this info too. The page talks about some of the issues and the demise of some of the shaving brush industry. Interesting stuff for a nerd like me.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s pretty frustrating, since despite having a large customer base this would have been a smallish private company, so the only information there would be would be found in things like legal documents and business directories. It would also be really interesting to come up with any old catalogs. But that kind of ephemera isn’t going to be easy to come up with for anyone not physically in NYC, if any of it exists at all anymore.

As far as I’ve seen it appears that the company that made all the brushes we see on eBay started up long before WW2 and was probably out of business by the end of the sixties.

Top Bottom