What's new

Made Rite 303 Questions

I purchased and recently received this Made Rite 303 Cased Badger Brush and I have a few questions for those who maybe more knowledgeable then myself. I have attached pictures here, the last picture is with my Whipped Dog 24mm x 48mm, and Vulfix 21mm x 50mm.
$IMG_1378.jpg$IMG_1379.jpg$IMG_1381.jpg$IMG_1382.jpg$IMG_1383.jpg

So for my questions:
1. Does anyone have any idea of when this brush could have been made. It is Caitlin, and seems to be quite heavy.
2. It was really scratchy and irritated my face and I was really hoping to pop out the knot and replace it with something better. It says metal cased on it, will this prove to be an issue when trying to double steam the knot and remove it. If yes is there any way to replace the knot without cutting into the handle.
3. Any idea of what type of badger it maybe? It feels quite scritchy, so I'm hazarding a guess as to pure badger maybe.

I guess that's it actually, just wanted to share my new brush and hopefully learn a little more about it.

Thanks Gents

mswofford

Rest in Peace
$razors 025.jpg
This is a Made Rite 750 also made with catalin which turns from white to the desireable buttercotch which takes decades to happen. The bottom is marked "pure badger" which would today be called a higher grade. I use this brush in my rotation regularly with the original knot which looks and performs like my Simpson "Best Badger" brushes. When I got it I soaked it in a saturated solution of hair conditioner for 15 minutes and hung it until it was as dry as it was going to get. You might consider trying this first and using it before changing the knot. I believe catalin brushes were made until the 1950s.
On the first page of this forum at the top of the page in blue there is a sub-forum "Brush Making and Restorations" that has threads about changing knots. There's also a thread called "Post Your Butterscotch Eye Candy Here" which you will find interesting.

Last edited:
The cased badger means that the knot has an outer layer of badger and a center core of boar. The boar center might not have the dyed banding you see on the outside. Effectively, it's a boar bristle brush.

I think I would avoid using heat on that handle. The metal case likely refers to a metal band around the base of the knot. This might allow for easy removal of the knot as the adhesive that holds the knot to the metal band might have deteriorated over the decades. If you have no love for the knot, you might try gently twisting and tugging it a bit to see if it comes out. Applying heat might make the removal easier by expanding the metal band off the base of the knot, but I think there may be a risk of cracking the the top of the handle by the expansion of that metal band.

If the knot (with metal case) was set in rubber, you will probably need to drill it out.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I did not see where it said metal cased, did you not photo that, or did you mean to say badger cased?
Looks like a mixed boar/ badger knot, and will most likely, the tips will get softer with use.
If you do want to remove the knot, I would avoid the steam method, but opt for removal using a drill and dremel tool. A nice two band badger would look good in there.

I tried steaming the knot out an Klenzo handle I picked up. It didn't work at all. Just cut the hair off and drill out the knot. You'll need to adjust the hole diameter and depth to accommodate a new knot anyhow.

Thanks for all the help Gentleman. I think I will wait it out and try to break it in some more and if not I will try to remove the knot or see if I can get someone to restore it for me.

Here's a picture of me breaking her in
$maderite.jpg
Cheers

I can't help with dating or other advice, but that is a sweet brush. Hope it softens up for you. Very cool.

I have one of these - and as with all boar brushes, it takes some breaking in. I like mine quite well (but it is down in the rotation - I'm a brush sl*t). I have a number of vintage boar and mixed-hair (cased) brushes... some of them just don't seem ever to soften/break in. The Made-Rite 303 is not one of those - it does improve over time.

I couldn't take the cased badger so I reknotted my 303 with pure.

$IMG_1872.jpg

It's much better now.

$IMG_1561.jpg

I just noticed mine says "Set In Rubber" but yours doesn't. I wonder why.

Last edited:
Skeezixx was your set in with the metal ring? How did you remove the original knot from the handle? Perhaps your's is a bit older older then mine

Top Bottom