What's new

Made my own strop.

So I’ve bought several strops from amazon and they have all come packaged in a way that leaves creases and humps and makes them unusable. I really want a Tony Miller, but not in stock and I really need a strop. I got from another member here but again, it wasn’t packaged correctly and it is creased badly and nicked quite a bit. Disclaimer. I’m not a handy guy but as of late I’ve been trying. So in my google searches I found a leather store in my area. I went this morning and the nice lady there showed me about a three foot strip of veg tanned cowhide, three inches wide. I bought it and a punch for a grand total of $42 after tax. I measured and punched and used hardware from the strop I got from the board here and made my own strop! its fairly long, but I’m going to throw a rubdown with neatsfoot oil, and use it! I figure I can cut it down if I want to.
Bonus, I have a piece leftover that’s even longer to make a another strop if I choose. It’s not perfect, there may be a 1/16 or 1/8 inch off, but it’s almost perfect and I’m pretty proud of it!
72859EF3-BA64-4A7A-AFF8-330520137948.jpeg

After seeing how nice your strop turned out i decided to dig out some old chaps and see what i can do with them.
Thanks for the inspiration! Your strop turned out awesome, never hurts to have a few i think.
View attachment 1169906

Thanks. It’s a really thick piece of leather but I just did 100 passes with my razor and it feels good. We will see the shave soon!
Honestly, I feel like a little kid bringing a drawing from school for my parents. I’m REALLY proud of it. Lol. All I did was cut and punch some holes in leather, but I feel like I just painted the Sistine Chapel:biggrin1:

After seeing how nice your strop turned out i decided to dig out some old chaps and see what i can do with them.
Thanks for the inspiration! Your strop turned out awesome, never hurts to have a few i think.
View attachment 1169906

Now you have me curious. I also have an old pair of chaps laying around too. But the leather is thinner and more pliable than my current strops. I don’t think my leather will be up to the challenge.

I know it is super hard to find strop hardware around here. Even the ones i could find on the web were pretty small when i started to make my own strop a couple months ago. I did find some at a oil field supply store but were way to big. I'am thinking they were actually D rings for like a flatbed trailer or something.
These old chaps are pretty thin and one set is suede i will probably end up doing paddles so i won't have to chase down some hardware

I know it is super hard to find strop hardware around here. Even the ones i could find on the web were pretty small when i started to make my own strop a couple months ago. I did find some at a oil field supply store but were way to big. I'am thinking they were actually D rings for like a flatbed trailer or something.
These old chaps are pretty thin and one set is suede i will probably end up doing paddles so i won't have to chase down some hardware

If you can make a paddle strip your the man.

Now you have me curious. I also have an old pair of chaps laying around too. But the leather is thinner and more pliable than my current strops. I don’t think my leather will be up to the challenge.
The paddle i made my youngest son i glued 3/16 rubber foam then attached an old WestLake over it stretched very tight, suede on other side finish on the other

20201017_115836.jpg

20201017_115931.jpg
20201017_120146.jpg

You should be able to find D rings, Chicago screws and the hanging clips at any place that sells saddles or horse tack.

Reactions: CCR
You should be able to find D rings, Chicago screws and the hanging clips at any place that sells saddles or horse tack.
Everywhere i called in my area 1 1/2 was the biggest they could get me. I was searching for some 2 or 2 1/2 or even 3" if possible. No luck at Atwoods,Tractor supply,Farm N Ranch, Tack Supply or even Tandy leather. I even called a guy in your neck of the woods that has a leather shop Makers Leather and he couldn't help me. Get chance he has a good youtube channel to check out. Guy does some awesome leather work.

Everywhere i called in my area 1 1/2 was the biggest they could get me. I was searching for some 2 or 2 1/2 or even 3" if possible. No luck at Atwoods,Tractor supply,Farm N Ranch, Tack Supply or even Tandy leather. I even called a guy in your neck of the woods that has a leather shop Makers Leather and he couldn't help me. Get chance he has a good youtube channel to check out. Guy does some awesome leather work.

Hm ...at tractor supply you could buy a cheap saddle girth strap, cut the buckles off and remove the buckle pin. I know those go up to 3”. Or google for saddle d rings and a saddle shop should have them. The d rings on my saddle are 3” ID.

I’ll have to check out Makers Leather, thanks.

Y
I got mine from Tandy leather.

Have been looking into making a strop. A good one is all about the leather. My research so far (unconfirmed by peer review ;) )

* must be veg tanned *not* chrome tanned
* butt leather is the best part of the hide
* heavier leather is less prone to cupping 8-12oz, or 3.5mm thick and up
* a hard surface is less likely to round the edge v softer leather - YMMV
* English bridle leather and latigo seem to be good choices
* horse and kangaroo seem to have the most silicates
(the ultra-fine abrasive which does all the work)
* boning improves a piece of leather by bringing silicates up to the surface
* edges need to be rounded off to make sure the blade stays flat (X-strokes)

Have been looking into making a strop. A good one is all about the leather. My research so far (unconfirmed by peer review ;) )

* must be veg tanned *not* chrome tanned
* butt leather is the best part of the hide
* heavier leather is less prone to cupping 8-12oz, or 3.5mm thick and up
* a hard surface is less likely to round the edge v softer leather - YMMV
* English bridle leather and latigo seem to be good choices
* horse and kangaroo seem to have the most silicates
(the ultra-fine abrasive which does all the work)
* boning improves a piece of leather by bringing silicates up to the surface
* edges need to be rounded off to make sure the blade stays flat (X-strokes)

That’s a lot of information. I hope I didn’t screw up. I just figured, “ heck, people did this a hundred years ago without any modern accoutrements, it’s not brain surgery” and went out and bought a piece of leather.
I hope it keeps a nice keen edge for me.

Veg tanned is the main one, AFAIK.

I'm trying to learn - definitely not an expert - so take everything I said with a pinch of salt.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
So I’ve bought several strops from amazon and they have all come packaged in a way that leaves creases and humps and makes them unusable. I really want a Tony Miller, but not in stock and I really need a strop. I got from another member here but again, it wasn’t packaged correctly and it is creased badly and nicked quite a bit. Disclaimer. I’m not a handy guy but as of late I’ve been trying. So in my google searches I found a leather store in my area. I went this morning and the nice lady there showed me about a three foot strip of veg tanned cowhide, three inches wide. I bought it and a punch for a grand total of $42 after tax. I measured and punched and used hardware from the strop I got from the board here and made my own strop! its fairly long, but I’m going to throw a rubdown with neatsfoot oil, and use it! I figure I can cut it down if I want to.
Bonus, I have a piece leftover that’s even longer to make a another strop if I choose. It’s not perfect, there may be a 1/16 or 1/8 inch off, but it’s almost perfect and I’m pretty proud of it! View attachment 1169902
That should work fine. Well done.

Give it a bit of well rendered and filtered beef tallow. You can just trim the fat off a steak before cooking, cut it up into chunks, and microwave it for three minutes in a pyrex measuring cup. After the first three minutes, go a minute at a time until the pieces have shrank like fried bacon. Filter through a tea strainer, reheat and filter through a coffee filter. Let it solidify in the fridge. There's your tallow. Works great for that sort of leather, but only apply it once. You can just rub about 1/4 tsp between your palms and then rub the strop down good with it. Rub rub rub. Rub it a lot. Rub it every time you use it for a couple of minutes. It will just get better and better. Treat it with the beef tallow only once. After that, only neats foot oil. Literally, just a couple of drops applied with the palm of your hand. It will gradually spread out in the leather so don't worry about a spotty looking application. Rub. Rub. Rub. Hanging in a damp bathroom won't hurt it a bit and may help it. Lots of rubbing, too, in case I didn't already mention that.

The surface will improve and you will know when there is no need to add more neats foot to it. Don't put too much. Less is more. Once the leatehr is nice and supple, treat it maybe once a year. The neats foot doesn't oxidize or evaporate, it becomes one with the leather. Keep rubbing it.

If it ever starts cupping on you, you can very slightly enlarge the side holes and leave the centerline holes alone. Then after a few weeks of use it should correct itself. And keep rubbing it. I want to be very clear about the importance of hand rubbing your strop frequently, especially for the first year or so. And after that, too.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
You will probably find that her leather coat is not veg tanned but rather chrome tanned. Veg tanned makes for a much stiffer leather.

Agree, most garments are made from chrome tanned. veg is usually going into belts, utility pouches, "tooled" leather items and similar. Some leather like Latigo and others are a combination tannage going though both veg tanning an chrome so wind up somewhere in the middle between stiff and flexible.

Top Bottom