What's new

Made my own shaving soap today. I dunno how I feel about it

I knew it would be instant "mashed potato" stage due to the high level of stearic acid but I really dunno if it's gonna turn out. I put it in the mold (PVC) just fine.

We will see.

48% coconut oil
52% stearic acid
60:40 KOH to NaOH
Cedar frag oil

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441646176.330652.jpg

Here was my setup. Cooked outside because I was simultaneously doing an amateur construction project.

And that is exactly how we feel too lol!

This!!!

A buddy of mine and I were talking about making a go at it. Any advice?

Yes... Do your research first. I did a lot of forum reading. Even though I still felt like I didn't know what I was doing I can't imagine how lost I would have been without research.

We jumped right in head first. The general consensus is working with high levels of stearic acid makes a great product but it's difficult to work with because it instantly saponifies with lye so you don't see it go through stages of separation and stuff. Idk if I would want it any other way. I set out to make good shaving soap. I figured I'd come up with a relatively Spartan recipe that has all the ingredients of being a good shaving soap regardless of difficulty. This way I can learn how it's done and make small tweaks without wasting much product.

I made my recipe to make 1lb of soap. I would suggest at least 3lb yield. Familiarize yourself with soapcalc.org to make your first recipe.

Don't be a guy who adds bentonite clay and glycerin to a melt and pour and calls it shaving soap :)

Lol...this is totally unrelated...but I think it's ironic (and awesome)...that the two guys having a go at making shaving soaps are both thoroughly bearded :D.

Don't be a guy who adds bentonite clay and glycerin to a melt and pour and calls it shaving soap :)

It looks like we'll be going with Beef Tallow, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Stearic Acid, and maybe a dash of lanolin. As far as the Lye, we will split the oils in half and make a batch with NaOH and a batch with KOH. we will then have two base soaps to combine together and with fragrances until we have something we like. I'm not sure It it would make any sense to add glycerin or clay; I'm open to advice.

I recently made some. Tallow, Stearic, Coconut, Castor, and bit of shea. Also put in some Sodium lactate to help keep in all fluid with the high stearic. Went with the 60:40 KOH:NAOH.

It came out pretty hard, but lathers well. So this batch could last a long while. Cushioning is pretty good, and creamy. Fairly slick...not Stirling slick, but workable.

I did this in a batch of 8oz of oil. I found that was good amount to test formula, but not have to put out too many resources. I have some ideas for tweaking the next batch. Going to be experimenting as I am making some as gifts.

A picture of lather. This was actually a bit dry, but added a little more and it was even better. Stayed nice for 25minutes.

$IMG_0306.jpg

Last edited:
If your soap comes out too bubbly look into adding the castor oil. I found it will help set the lather a bit more, and will help keep bubbles from coconut oil smaller.

Top Bottom