What's new

Made a noob mistake - what to do

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thanks all - some really great information there. I've seen jackywalsh44 's ebay aspects - he seems to pretty much be the only gold dollar seller in the UK.

I've found a gentleman in the UK who seems to come highly recommended from several UK shaving forums/FB sites, who's selling Kropp and other vintage blades which have been re-honed by himself. He also makes his own versions based off the gold dollar. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on these (c. half way down the page)?

Only members can view, apparently. Many folks do not use facebook and do not have a facebook account. I am not a facebook person. I'm in quite enouhg stuff already without adding snapchat, facebook, tick tock, tumblr, and the like. If the seller in question only operates from his facebook page, then maybe his offerings won't stand up under the scrutiny of a wider viewership. Just sayin. If he is not known in the straight razor community then I suggest not giving him your hard earned coin. He might be perfectly legit but he has not been recognized, apparently, by the community.

Yes I know, that sounds a bit suspicious and critical. However anyone who has been in this thing for more than a few weeks usually has reason to be suspicious and critical. We see noobs taken to the cleaners all the time and some of us try to steer them toward more reputable and known sources. ANYBODY can hang out a shingle online. ANYBODY can stick the words "Shave Ready!" into a for sale listing, even people who don't know how to hone, even people who don't know how to shave with a straight razor, and even people, such as women or fully bearded men, that do not shave their faces at all. A seller's claims mean nothing anymore, without verification from an established community. YMMV but it probably won't.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Thomas, if your in the UK, look no further: Straight Razors - Cut Throat Razor Shop, UK to Worldwide - https://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/

These guys will mail you a truly shave-ready razor. They are well-known, reputable seller in the UK. If I were you, I'd pick Ralf Aust in 6/8 with rounded point. It's a great quality artisan-made SR you won't regret purchasing. It's one of those things that (with proper care) your grandson can inherit one day.

Good luck!

The Invisible Edge is well known here, OP. Do a forum search before you buy. Like every business, there have been both good and bad experiences. Everyone has an off day once in a while. I will say this though, their Dovo Bismarck with white pearlescent scales is listed at a fairly good price. They have some good prices, and they have some high prices. Their prices for restored vintage blades are a bit high, IMHO and YMMV. But since they are in your country they may well be your best option. Me, I would go for the plain vanilla Bismarck, new.

I have bought a few razors from The invisible Edge so have first-hand experience. They have always been shave ready on arrival in that the razors will actually give you a shave. It may not be the shave that you would want but it has always been useable which is more than I can say about anything I have bought from eBay, with the honourable exception of two people based in Germany.
As sharpening my razors is part of the interest I just put my own edge on the razors bought from the Invisible Edge. I must say the five Ralph Aust razors I have were just great and needed no further work as indeed was my Bergischer Lowe.

I am sure you can get a very good vintage shaver on eBay for about the £50 range. Won't be a great looker, but it will be functional, and probably have the potential to give you a lifetime of good shaves if looked after.

A good starting point is a 5/8th's or 6/8ths round point. Most user friendly and easy to learn. I have never been disappointed with anything that has Solingen stamped on it.

If you see something and need a few pointers, PM me and I will give you my opinion.

Don't worry about shave ready. You can send it to me and I will do that bit for free, and return it to you with a laser edge.

I would try a vintage razor.I don’t own a single modern straight due to the cost.All of mine were eBay or Etsy.I look out for one that is decent clean and hone.If you can’t hone being new find a reputable person.I have spent about 30 dollars average on my vintage razors and all of them are in my rotation.Do research and learn to hone would also be my advice..

Apologies for the delayed response on this one - sort of forgot all about this one over the weekend.

Long story short, half the battle has been won, the item from Pakistan was, as expected, rubbish. Luckily, the blade/knife/whatever it was was bent and was rusty near the tang, so that was refunded easily.

Time to hopefully find something a lot better! I've had so much constructive/helpful messages on here and a couple of UK Facebook shaving forums, so many thanks to all.

Biltong & Boerewors - that would be incredibly appreciated and an amazing gesture, I'll be sure to get in touch. Thanks again all

Apologies for the delayed response on this one - sort of forgot all about this one over the weekend.

Long story short, half the battle has been won, the item from Pakistan was, as expected, rubbish. Luckily, the blade/knife/whatever it was was bent and was rusty near the tang, so that was refunded easily.

Time to hopefully find something a lot better! I've had so much constructive/helpful messages on here and a couple of UK Facebook shaving forums, so many thanks to all.

Biltong & Boerewors - that would be incredibly appreciated and an amazing gesture, I'll be sure to get in touch. Thanks again all

Happy to get more "Brothers of the Blade" in the UK, and willing to do my part so far as to share the experience I have gained over the past three years. Youtube and this forum were the only teachers I had.

Apart from a razor, as a minimum you need a strop to get going. You don't want the rubbish at rock-bottom prices, but you don't want to spend too much on a first strop because we all nick a strop when learning.

I can recommend the Windrose Extra Large strop, for sale on eBay. Good quality leather and very wide, which is a good thing when you start. I had one and it gave me good service as a first strop, until it started cupping after a year or so of daily stropping. By then I was ready for something nicer anyway.

The best short-cut to trouble free shaving, without spending a lot, is to make yourself one .1 micron diamond pasted balsa strop to maintain your edge. You can do that indefinitely once you have a razor with the right quality edge. All the information is on this forum and I will be happy to point you in the right direction if you decide it's the way to go.

I have a spare 5/8 round point Kropp I can send to you. I'll take it to the films to touch it up and make sure it is shaveable. Shave ready, who knows, but you will be able to shave with it.

The razor is sound but could use a polish. Send me a PM if interested.

I only have one condition. If you decide straight shaving is not for you, DO NOT sell the razor. Pass it on to someone else to try/use, even if it has to be honed first. Preferably someone starting with straights.
IMG_20210519_133924.jpgIMG_20210519_133936.jpg

Top Bottom