What's new

Machining marks on my CG razor

Thanks guys. Yes, of course the swirls are part of the design, it was the circles I'm talking about.

I'm not worried, sure he will respond when he can.

Looks like the thing that would really annoy me every time I unscrewed the head but wouldn't make a difference in the shave. Considering it's a premium razor I am sure he will make it right.

My Stinger handle has some machining marks on it that I don't care for, but so does every other Stinger handle I've seen as well. I suspect that Brian doesn't take his polishing quite as far as some other makers do. Like Wolfman razors for example, which are flawless.

My Stinger handle has some machining marks on it that I don't care for, but so does every other Stinger handle I've seen as well. I suspect that Brian doesn't take his polishing quite as far as some other makers do. Like Wolfman razors for example, which are flawless.
Actually now that Wolfman offers different levels of polishing my basic brushed finish has a lot of machining marks. If you want the flawless finish it will cost about an additional $325 USD which could buy you another CG razor plus cash in your pocket.

Actually now that Wolfman offers different levels of polishing my basic brushed finish has a lot of machining marks. If you want the flawless finish it will cost about an additional $325 USD which could buy you another CG razor plus cash in your pocket.

All of my Wolfman razors are the higher end finishes as I haven't had the opportunity to purchase one in one of the more practical finishes yet. I certainly would if the opportunity comes up as the lower price point is appealing.

Last
Last time I looked at the Wolfman site
The prices were $250. Basic and $450.
For mirror finish, so where did you find
The prices that you post.

Last

Last time I looked at the Wolfman site
The prices were $250. Basic and $450.
For mirror finish, so where did you find
The prices that you post.
Polished finish is extra 200 CAD for head and extra 150 CAD for handle which is, depending on exchange rate, about $300 USD

Last edited:
Spoke too soon, just received an email back from Brian.

All the other remaining OC baseplates have similar machining marks. All 3 of them! Anyway, Brian has offered me a 50% refund on the baseplate as he will not be making more open combs in the near future. Obviously I could return it but that leaves me with no baseplates at all...

"My razors are hand made and not mass-produced so tooling marks from the milling cutters are common."

All the other remaining OC baseplates have similar machining marks. All 3 of them! Anyway, Brian has offered me a 50% refund on the baseplate as he will not be making more open combs in the near future. Obviously I could return it but that leaves me with no baseplates at all...

"My razors are hand made and not mass-produced so tooling marks from the milling cutters are common."
I have and used the level 2 OC this morning and it too has a few circles like yours. But what an amazing shave I had this morning. You will soon forget or at least appreciate the imperfections of this nearly perfect razor.

I have and used the level 2 OC this morning and it too has a few circles like yours. But what an amazing shave I had this morning. You will soon forget or at least appreciate the imperfections of this nearly perfect razor.

I'm sure you are right. I will get over it.

Those comb slot ends are very rough and need finishing. I would accept the discount which would enable you to purchase a needle file to finish the ends of the comb slots; they are rough. You can probably live with the milling marks on the flat.
CG_1027b.jpg

Last edited:
Ya I'd keep it as I thought he stopped making open combs months ago. Also Charcoal Goods customer service is second to no one. I once messed up a purchase with too many clicks/orders which he "caught" and he contacted me to clarify including doing a single shipping fee to save me even more. Brian definately does not take us clients for granted which is shown by his customer service. Plus his razors work and are beautiful :thumbup:

It's still a nice OC, and from what I understand he's not going to be making anymore for some time. I asked him about open Combs a few days ago and sounded like it was going to be quite a while if he did make more. Sounded like he was pretty busy, and I like the customer service too.

I'm definitely keeping the open comb and will be on the look out for more baseplates on the second-hand market. Brian has gone out of his way to keep me as a customer. He actually offered me his personal solid bar plate for free (it's the only one he has left in the antique finish).

Those comb slot ends are very rough and need finishing. I would accept the discount which would enable you to purchase a needle file to finish the ends of the comb slots; they are rough.

Agreed, will try and file the slots when I get a chance.

Top Bottom