What's new

Mach3 Reversion

Ok - so I was organizing my shaving paraphernalia (my entire bathroom, actually) and came across an unopened package of M3 blades.

It's been about 6 mos since I've used the M3, having fully embraced the DE shave of my youth. But those blades were already there, and I didn't want to "waste" them, so I popped one into my old M3 handle.

Well, I've gotta say that it produced an epic shave! I used my usual KOS gel, letting it set up for a minute or so. I had to re-adjust to the "long stroke" method, but honestly, it's a great, great shave - no irritation, smooth-as-glass skin.

Now that I have a new Merkur Futur with a bajillion DE blades at my disposal, I don't know what to do! I do know I'm not about to shell out for M3 blades once this pack is done, however.

Bakerloo Line said:
Ok - so I was organizing my shaving paraphernalia (my entire bathroom, actually) and came across an unopened package of M3 blades.

It's been about 6 mos since I've used the M3, having fully embraced the DE shave of my youth. But those blades were already there, and I didn't want to "waste" them, so I popped one into my old M3 handle.

Well, I've gotta say that it produced an epic shave! I used my usual KOS gel, letting it set up for a minute or so. I had to re-adjust to the "long stroke" method, but honestly, it's a great, great shave - no irritation, smooth-as-glass skin.

Now that I have a new Merkur Futur with a bajillion DE blades at my disposal, I don't know what to do! I do know I'm not about to shell out for M3 blades once this pack is done, however.

You may have discovered something here... a lot of us probably converted to the DE at the same time we upgraded to quality creams and began using a brush and so missed the fact that the quality prep and technique are probably the biggest contributors to a quality shave.

However, I know there are things I can do with my DE that I could never do with a multi-blade, namely ATG passes.

Plus, I think the Merkur HD looks cool sitting in my bathroom!:biggrin:

I have tried to use my M3 with the brush and proper creams or soaps and I alway end up disappointed in the results. I just can't get a very close shave with the Mach 3.

Now the sensor is a different story. I can get a consistent, close, iritation free shave with the sensor from 2 passes. I do not use it everyday, but it has become my go to razor for times when I need to make sure I do not have any cuts or irritation after shaving (before work or presentations at school).

I still use my DE for "everyday" shaves, and nothing gets closer, but for consistency I can't do better than my Sensor (original black cartridges, not the grey).

I occasionally use my M3 to "speed shave" if I'm in a real hurry. It's really not that bad a shave, but I don't enjoy myself as much as with my DE!

Most guys who have got into DE shaving have probably gone from something like the Mach3 paired with Edge Gel to a Merkur HD paired with Truefitt & Hill and a fine badger Hair brush. Indeed, the fine cream and brush alone would make for a nicer shaving experience even when used with an inferior blade. In addition to new equipment, the guys who post here have gotten into technique. They have learbed what movements of the blade work best, and learned what their skin is all about. So when one returns to the Mach3 but still uses all the new found knowledge and products, then I have to wonder what is giving them a good shave? Is it the DE blade? Or the creams and brush?

Maybe a real test would be to put aside all your new stuff for a couple of weeks and go back to a Mach3, some edge gel, and cheap aftershave and see how that works. But even with your newfound techniques all this would still give you a better shave then the ones you got before you got into DE shaving.

I re-tried a mach3 and it pulls more then a DE. The blades don't last as long and they are expensive. The sensor is a superior razor but again it goes dull quick. Well at least for me.

I used a sensor with proraso before switching to a DE a few years ago.

I still use a sensor when I'm in a rush - I get a decent fast shave, but if I have a few more minutes, I'll use an injector and gett a great quick shave.

Bottom line for me, a DE, injector or GEM gives me a way better shave than a sensor.

Top Bottom