What's new

Mach 3 or Gillette Guard for my son

Both the Mach3 and Guard are great razors but after having used both I would recommend the guard. You have to get past it's plastic feel but it shaves really well and lasts quite a while!

Both the Mach3 and Guard are great razors but after having used both I would recommend the guard. You have to get past it's plastic feel but it shaves really well and lasts quite a while!

Excellent, thanks, I've gone for the Guard as they seem to be extremely good value and I think they may be a little less intimidating for him compared to the Mach 3.

Why not let him try a Schick Injector. The learning curve is minimal, it gives a smooth shave, and you can pick one up inexpensively on Ebay.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Why not let him try a Schick Injector. The learning curve is minimal, it gives a smooth shave, and you can pick one up inexpensively on Ebay.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

That was one of the options I considered actually and if he wants to go that way eventually I'd be happy for him to do that but I found the blades slightly too expensive (it's mainly the postage) where I am in Europe, for something he may never use. It is something to think about if I ever do manage to get him off the bloody Philips One Blade though, thanks.

The Guard is a great place to start. You can get a decent shave with it under just about any conditions, plus it's explicitly designed to reduce the risk of nicks and cuts, so it'll make a great starter razor. He can get fancy later if he so chooses.

The Guard is a great place to start. You can get a decent shave with it under just about any conditions, plus it's explicitly designed to reduce the risk of nicks and cuts, so it'll make a great starter razor. He can get fancy later if he so chooses.

Yeah he was quite wary of cutting himself when he tried the DE and I thought the Guard looked a lot less intimidating than a lot of the others, I have a couple of handles with 60 blades on the way, I also like the fact that it's single blade, obviously it may not be the same for my son but multi blade cartridges used to give me razor bumps and ingrowing hairs so I much prefer the single blade, they look surprisingly good for a near-disposable razor, definitely a lot better quality than most I've had experience with. Thanks for the advice.

The Guards arrived today, not shown them to my son yet but my first impressions of them are very good. Obviously made in such a way as to save on manufacturing costs but still very good quality razors, I was very impressed. Gave one to my other half and she tried it this morning and was also very happy with them, there's a hole in the handle for hanging them up so I can finally get rid of all her Bic disposables cluttering up the shower.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Guards arrived today, not shown them to my son yet but my first impressions of them are very good. Obviously made in such a way as to save on manufacturing costs but still very good quality razors, I was very impressed. Gave one to my other half and she tried it this morning and was also very happy with them, there's a hole in the handle for hanging them up so I can finally get rid of all her Bic disposables cluttering up the shower.

They aren't works of art, but they are definitely the pinnacle of engineering and design for the price point and for their intended use.

Everything you need, and nothing you don't.

Top Bottom