What's new

Mach 3 or Gillette Guard for my son

Basically I've been teaching my son to shave, he's not enjoying it, going to quote myself from my other post here for context, if you read the other one you can ignore this:

"...he has absolutely zero attention span and he's hating it. He's 15 and I should have and wanted to do this before now but his grandparents bought him one of those terrible Philips One Blades but I'm refusing to spend 25euros on a single replacement blade for it. So I started with a DE and he doesn't seem to have the patience to get that right. He even bitched and moaned that making the lather takes too long :D We ended up finishing with a Bic disposable (the only razor that's not DE, SE or straight that I own), quite a crappy shave in the end, he has quite tough beard hairs, but I was expecting that and told him he just needs to practice"

So I've basically decided to get him a can of foam and something simpler and let him find his own way, I've sort of got it narrowed down to a Mach 3 or a box of 60 Gillette Guards, the Guards work out a hell of a lot cheaper and I have read that they aren't too bad a razor, what do people think?

Thanks, gone with the Guards, should last him a while and if he doesn't use them the other half will.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The Guard is a solid choice. You can get 100 carts of Amazon for $25 if he likes it. With the longevity of those, it will be cheaper than DE.

Thanks guys, I know zero about cartridge razors, so that's been a big help, when I first started, I used either a cheapo plastic Wilkinson Sword DE or an even cheaper cheapo Bic disposable.

Mach 3. The Guard is rubbish.

Well a hell of a lot of people disagree with you, guess it's just YMMV again, I mean personally I'd say the Mach 3 was rubbish, multi blade cartridges have always given me ingrowing hairs but a hell of a lot of people disagree with me too :)

I have not tried the Gillette Guard, but i always liked my Mach 3 and i used it again a couple months ago with Gillette3 cartridges (which are cheaper and fit the mach 3 handle). I got great shaves with it.

I have not tried the Gillette Guard, but i always liked my Mach 3 and i used it again a couple months ago with Gillette3 cartridges (which are cheaper and fit the mach 3 handle). I got great shaves with it.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about it, if he wants to move on to that after the Guard, that's fine, but hopefully I can keep him on the Guard until he's buying his own cartridges :D

Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about it, if he wants to move on to that after the Guard, that's fine, but hopefully I can keep him on the Guard until he's buying his own cartridges :D

Ive been able to buy Gillette3 cartridges on the big auction site for $0.75 each. Given that they easily last a week and maybe even 2 for some people i think that is pretty good value.

Ive been able to buy Gillette3 cartridges on the big auction site for $0.75 each. Given that they easily last a week and maybe even 2 for some people i think that is pretty good value.

Excellent, that's good to know, I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

Well a hell of a lot of people disagree with you, guess it's just YMMV again, I mean personally I'd say the Mach 3 was rubbish, multi blade cartridges have always given me ingrowing hairs but a hell of a lot of people disagree with me too :)
The Mach3 is far better, but your son is 15. That's not enough for a Mach3, he will be dermaplaning.

The OP asked what people thought about the Mach 3 and Guard. I'm sure he'll also take your opinion of the Mach 3 into consideration.

I ran into a similar issue with my son at that age. I started him off with a Gillette adjustable and some canned shaving foam since he couldn’t be bothered to make his own lather :001_huh:. Now he’s 18 and has been using soap and brush for a year and a half. Even graduated to an open comb.

Maybe meet him in the middle on all the tools of the trade and hopefully you can at least get him using a forgiving DE razor.

This, I'm sure a 15 years old will find it "bad**s" :001_cool:
proxy.php

Em's Place | Biker Chain Design Razor with Stand, Cartridge-Mach3-Sensor-Atra

Top Bottom