What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Shark Super Chrome

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor, Van Der Hagen Luxury shave soap and a generic Fento badger brush. I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

This month it’s Shark Super Chrome. The venerable Shark Super Chrome (SSC) gets a lot of love on various forums and is well reviewed on a number of websites that sell them. The most consistent phrase found in reviews is the oft overused “sharp and smooth!” The SSC is manufactured by the Lord Company out of Egypt and is Chrome plated with some sort of polymer or wax coating. I was unable to find out what exactly the coating is despite scouring the vast recesses of the interwebz. If anyone is interested i’ll email Lord to get a straight answer, but rest assured it’s a coated blade.

The packaging is simple yellow with red script that says “Shark” over the entirety. The blade says “Super Chrome” on top and “Shark” underneath. Currently 100 blades is going for 10.89 which is pretty cheap. Cheap and well reviewed always strikes me as going against the “cheap, fast good” rule of the blade world. Which if it existed would be “cheap, sharp, smooth pick 2”. But we all know there ARE blades out there that are cheap, sharp and smooth so the question is really whether the SSC lives up to that high standard. Is it a face eating monster or does it perform swimmingly (see what i did there?) Well let’s find out...

First the sharpness. I’ve always found that sharpness is usually the easiest aspect of a blade to judge. Very seldom do people disagree as to whether a blade is sharp or not. So the claim that the SSC is a “sharp” blade are not unfounded. It removed stubble with little fuss but it’s not the sharpest blade i’ve ever used. I’d call it the midway point between average and very sharp. There is a problem with this level of sharp though, at least in my eyes. It’s sharp enough to do some damage to your face but not sharp enough to get super close without multiple passes. For me, this is a recipe for disaster. Which brings me to smoothness.

As i said above, the SSC lives in that realm of sharp enough to irritate easily, but not sharp enough to glide over your face and mow down hair evenly. The result for me was a blade that gave me more weepers than any other i’ve thus far tried. Partictularly on the first shave where i had weepers around both my neck and near the corners of my mouth. 3-4 in total. After each shave my face felt pretty raw and the shaves were not quite BBS. Smooth was not at all how i’d describe the SSC. It’s fairly uncommon for me to draw blood shaving, so these were unnerving blades to use. I managed at least one weeper per shave which no other blade has done thus far.

Consistancy was very good despite the irritating shaves. Shave one on both blades was the worst in terms of blood drawn, two on both blades was the best and shaves 3 and 4 declined in sharpness about evenly. In my opinion they have good quality control standards on the SSC.

Longevity i’d set at medium. The SSC at 4 shaves was noticeably duller, but still had about 2 more shaves in it before i’d toss it.

After 8 shaves, the SSC is a very hard blade for me to recommend. It’s too sharp and harsh for people with sensitive skin and not sharp enough for those who want a truly top tier sharp blade. I’ve shaved with worse blades but this one is definitely not one i’ll be trying again. Overall i’d rate it a 4 out of 10.

With my rating out of the way, i tried to think of why these are so popular and highly regarded (YMMV aside). I think first off they’re a bargain. Everyone loves saving $ and even if you already have 20,000 blades it’s still nice to get 100 on the cheap. Secondly, i really think a middle of the spectrum razor (which the van der hagen is in my opinion) is the worst possible razor for this blade. I thing a more agressive or less agressive razor would allow the blade to be that tad bit sharper or smoother and turn it from something that does nothing well (in my opinion) into a blade people like.

I strive to keep my routine consistant when reviewing blades, but generally i think blades don’t vary much from razor to razor. I do however think there are some blades whose deficiencies can be evened out by changing the agressivemess of the razor. To me the SSC is a candidate for that type of blade.

Next up Rockwell Razors namesake blade. Until then, happy shaving!

Attachments

• E60FBD85-777C-45DF-AB1D-6842289A0CE4.jpeg
    E60FBD85-777C-45DF-AB1D-6842289A0CE4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • B1D11DF9-1F59-4039-B1DE-3BA1EA477F34.jpeg
    B1D11DF9-1F59-4039-B1DE-3BA1EA477F34.jpeg
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice write up.

My first use of these blades had me planing off a little epidermis in a Parker 22 Interceptor. I didn't draw blood, but the skin was redder smoother than it should have been, and had I used the alum, I think I'd have shattered the bathroom window with my scream. I was more careful with subsequent passes, and got better shaves as a result.

I did find the blade smooth, possible too smooth. By that I mean the almost polished bevel feel had some cling to it, or "sticktion" as some call it. I have another lined up for retesting in a few weeks (I think it's currently third or fourth in the queue), and next time I'll be using my Jagger which does most of my blade testing.

I think the "fast", in the "cheap, fast, good" equation with DE blades should be "long lasting". Like you, I didn't get great longevity from it. I got 10 shaves, which is pretty much the minimum I get from any blades, and my highest shave counts have been a Feather and Gillette SharpEdge which both reached the low 30s.

I knew this was going to be one of those reviews where i would be in the minority since the SSC is pretty highly regarded and i didn’t have much love for it. But i guess YMMV was bound to strike me at some point hahaha. Just wasn’t a fan of the ol’ shark. Thanks for the comments!

Your review validated my experience too. I just received a sampler pack from tryablade.com after using feathers and Wilkinson swords for the past 3 years. Wanted to see if i was missing out on other blades. I started off with the shark blade in my Rockwell 6s. Felt it was scraping my skin off and was tugging a bit. Tried again today in a different razor to see if that particular combo wasn’t good, and again bad shave. Oh well, on to the next one.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I will be trying a Shark Super Chrome next week. I am using the Shark Super Stainless this week.

@Macduff: You might be interested in this ShaveWiki page for the Shark Super Chrome:

Shark Super Chrome Razor Blade

The edge coating is allegedly chrome, but it is not confirmed.

Also, you'll see a table of nine user ratings that I collected in April 2017:

full

The overall results (sharpness=7.3, smoothness=7.8, longevity=7.5, consistency=8.8) are in this comprehensive DE razor blade table, but there aren't many blades there right now:

Comprehensive Double-Edge (DE) Razor Blade Data Table

@Macduff: You might be interested in this ShaveWiki page for the Shark Super Chrome:

Shark Super Chrome Razor Blade

The edge coating is allegedly chrome, but it is not confirmed.

Also, you'll see a table of nine user ratings that I collected in April 2017:

full

The overall results (sharpness=7.3, smoothness=7.8, longevity=7.5, consistency=8.8) are in this comprehensive DE razor blade table, but there aren't many blades there right now:

Comprehensive Double-Edge (DE) Razor Blade Data Table

Somehow that posted without my response hahaha. Anyway what i was going to say was those reaults reenforce my assumption that the SSC is a well liked blade. I agree wholeheartedly on the sharpness grade but to me it was not a smooth blade at all. This is the first blade i’ve encountered where my opinion was starkly different than the general consensus. My first YMMV i guess you could say. Thanks for the data!

Somehow that posted without my response hahaha. Anyway what i was going to say was those reaults reenforce my assumption that the SSC is a well liked blade. I agree wholeheartedly on the sharpness grade but to me it was not a smooth blade at all. This is the first blade i’ve encountered where my opinion was starkly different than the general consensus. My first YMMV i guess you could say. Thanks for the data!

You're welcome. Differences of opinion help make things interesting. :001_smile

I always look forward to reading your reviews. I think they are very thorough. However, I actually like the Shark SC very much. So much, that I just ordered a 100 of them. It's crazy how someone can take the same razor, same blade, and same cream or soap as someone else and have a completely different experience. Like someone else said YMMV. Great review , looking forward to more to come.:thumbup1:

I always look forward to reading your reviews. I think they are very thorough. However, I actually like the Shark SC very much. So much, that I just ordered a 100 of them. It's crazy how someone can take the same razor, same blade, and same cream or soap as someone else and have a completely different experience. Like someone else said YMMV. Great review , looking forward to more to come.:thumbup1:

Thanks very much! This blade was really my first YMMV experience as i truly did not like them and a lot of people here consider them top tier. I feel like i can usually see why someone would like them even if i don’t, but with the SSC i just couldn’t find anything to like. But honestly the variety is what makes shaving so much fun now so i embrace both good and bad shaves.

Just completed shave number three with one of these in my black beauty on setting nine. I pretty much agree with your review mate. It'll do the job, it has given me a very good shave but there are other blades out there that do a much better job so its not a keeper for me.

Another great review. On this one I totally agree. Sharp, but it leaves my face so "raw" that I won't use aftershave.

I'm less raw with the EJ89, but I get a close (not bbs) three pass shave. I don't believe chrome refers to the coating on the edge, but rather the quality of the stainless steel judged by carbon, sulfur, and Chromium oxide percentage. Stainless, super stainless, chrome, and chrome Moly are grade codes, but I could be wrong.

Chrome is harder and should hold an edge longer. I found the Lord ss and Shark ss to be identical, but while the shark chrome is harsh the Lord Chrome is quite smooth after the first shave and lasts me 5 shaves. so those two are different.

As always, another quality review! I thought your comment regarding the VDH razor equal to my experience with it. I started with a VDH and even Astra SPs were questionable in it. Once I upgraded to my Merkur blades took on a whole new dynamic.

I happen to like the Sharks, but to be fair I haven't tried them in the VDH. Based on your review I'm not overly inclined to do so!

Top Bottom