What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Lord Platinum Class

Lord Platinum Class and (to a lesser extent) Lord Super Chrome have been great blades for me. I also tried Asco,Shark,Big Ben, and a few more Lord blades.

What I'm trying to say is don't judge a blade without trying it first. You might be suprised by the results.

I tried Lord a long, long time ago when I got a sampler pack. For me they were just OK but not great. I think I tried one more Lord variant with the same results. I have noticed over time that blade experience can vary greatly between two different shavers. One man's trash is another treasure, and vice versa.

I've been using Lord blades for almost 3yrs now. I started with Shark SS and settled in on Shark SC's almost exclusively. I have also tried and had success with the Lord SC, SS, and Silver Star. Just to show how much YMMV goes in blade use, I have received my worst shaves with anything Gillette other than Nacet's, Kai, Feathers, Personna, Voskhod, Rapira, Sputnik, Astra SP, and a couple others that escape my memory... For some strange reason they either drag heavily, skip, or just pull on the hair during any shave I've had with them. I've tried them in multiple razors and all with the same results. I have found the Shark SC to work in almost every razor I've used to date but since mid 2018 I only own and use my Ti95SB or SS95DC Timeless razors exclusively and they are a perfect match for me so everything else had to go... I have also had some success with Polsilver SI's but even they didn't give the consistent results I've had with Sharks... YMMV at its best surely!!

I had no luck with any Lord branded blades (and I've tried a few). I had better experiences with Silver Star, Racer, Asco Orange and Shark Super Chrome.

The Lord Platinum Class was a game changer for me. When I first started wet shaving about 4 months ago I developed a bad case of razor rash from an aggressive razor, the Parker 92R and the Parker razor blades it came with. After a two week layoff I switched to using the Rockwell 6C using R1 to start with the Lord Platinum blade. I do not have a heavy beard and my skin is very sensitive from too much sunbathing when I was a teenager. The Lord Platinum razor is a very mild blade and for me it was what I needed to get my skin conditioned to the point I could try other blades. To date my favorite blades are the Derby Premiums and the Rockwell razor blade, with the Derby blade being my favorite. Mild razor blades have their place for beginners and those with extremely sensitive skin. For me they were a game changer and kept me quitting wet shaving altogether.

I have been sampling a few Lord blades trying to find a replacement for the Astra (now owned by Gillette who are not on my list of vendors).

So far I have had great experiences with Big Ben and Cool but not so much with the Platinum. I find that I can only get 2 or 3 shaves out of the Platinum before it gets dull enough to give me a lot or irritation while the others can go to 5 or 6 shaves.

I have a few more Lord types to try before I make a decision on a 100 pack, but I think the Platinum is not going to make the cut for me .. :(

I have been sampling a few Lord blades trying to find a replacement for the Astra (now owned by Gillette who are not on my list of vendors).

So far I have had great experiences with Big Ben and Cool but not so much with the Platinum. I find that I can only get 2 or 3 shaves out of the Platinum before it gets dull enough to give me a lot or irritation while the others can go to 5 or 6 shaves.

I have a few more Lord types to try before I make a decision on a 100 pack, but I think the Platinum is not going to make the cut for me .. :(
Have you tried the Asco blades from Lord? I find them to be very good.

Ironically, that is the blade I starting using today and seems to be good. Need to see how long they last but so far so good.

Stainless. Of the blades I have tried so far, I'm finding stainless ones to be work better for me than coated ones (yes, I know all blades have something on them).

I have some Silver Stars to sample after the Ascos, then its on to the Sharks (I have already tried the stainless).

I've tried most Lord offerings, and the only one which really didn't agree with me were the Shark Super Chrome.

My son, on the other hand, just loves Racers. Pretty much that's all he uses.

I have no complaints with Lord Silver Star, Racer Platinum or Super Chrome in Fatip OC razors. Blade reviews from one individual in my experience may not predict how well those blades are going to work for you. Try and see for yourself.

I have no complaints with Lord Silver Star, Racer Platinum or Super Chrome in Fatip OC razors. Blade reviews from one individual in my experience may not predict how well those blades are going to work for you. Try and see for yourself.
This is true. One thing I have noticed so far, in regards to the Fatip OC razors, is that they really aren't fussy about blades. I can put anyone of my collection of blades in my Retro or FOCS, and they all work, which isn't something I can say about the rest of my razors, except maybe my Progress. I'm seriously getting to the point in my shaving that the Fatips and the Progress are the only razors I use, might have to put everything else up for sale.

Top Bottom