What's new

Macduff’s Monthly Blade Review: Lord Platinum Class

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor, some atrocious “Peace” soap that should never have been used for shaving and a generic Fento badger brush. I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

This review is round two with the Lord brand. For those who read my last review, you already know i truly hated the Lord Super Stainless. It was top 2 worst blades i’ve ever tried, so needless to say i wasn’t very enthusiastic about trying another Lord product. Despite that, i’ll give every blade a fair go and so too with the Lord Platinum.

The packaging is admittedly nice with Lord in red font with a black sword crossed through the “O” and “Platinum Class” in black font underneath. The blade itself is simple with “Lord Platinum Class” stamped on it. Looks though can be deceiving (i’m thinking of you Treet Carbon!) so lets get to the nitty gritty...

As usual we’ll start with sharpness: First blade was like deja-vu. Horrible. I literally opened the razor to make sure i didn’t accidentally load the old Lord Super Stainless in there. The shave was tuggy, wouldn’t cut my beard and was exactly the same as the Super Stainless. 4 miserable shaves later and i was considering skipping the second blade altogether. After the 8 awful shaves from the Super Stainless and another 4 from the Platinum, i was beginning to wonder why i was even doing this. But, my pig headedness prevailed (per usual) and i unwrapped the second blade and loaded it up. To my surprise, the second blade was actually decent! On a scale of 1-10 i’d put the sharpness at about 6. So nothing crazy but it did a decent job of slicing through the ol’ whiskers. Shaves 2 and 3 were the best but i did notice a little dulling on the 4th shave.

Smoothness on the first blade was identical to the Super Stainless: rough and tuggy during the shave but my face surprisingly didn’t feel irritated after. The second blade had a decent glide while shaving and i didn’t have any nicks or weepers. I had a little irritation post shave with the second blade but nothing out of the ordinary.

Longevity on the first blade was abysmal. 1st shave was as awful as the last. For the second, longevity was slightly above average. I did notice some dulling on the 4th shave but probably could’ve gone another shave or two had i wanted to.

Consistency has to rank as awful just due to the fact that the first blade was clearly a dud. I’ve only caught a couple duds in my DE shaving journey but i’m here to tell you that if 1 of 2 blades i tried was no good, chances are if you’re buying Lord Platinums in bulk you're going to run across some bad ones. My advice would be to assume some Lords will be junk if you buy 50-100 of them. If you encounter one, don’t hesitate to trash it. You’ll thank me later.

Price is excellent at 10.75 per 100 on amazon. When i reviewed the Lord Super Stainless, they were going for 11.35 per 100. Which is...odd to say the least. I realize there are price variances between vendors but when the lower tier blades actually costs MORE, it makes you wonder. Either way, the Platinum Class is among the cheapest blades out there so price is certainly a consideration.

So how does one rate such a blade? In all honesty i had a difficult time coming up with a rating for the Platinum. On one hand it’s consistency is total garbage and one of the two blades was like shaving with a sharpened piece of flint. On the other hand, the second blade was just a hair better (had to get one pun in!) than middle of the road. Which is to say, it was a decent blade. And although i don’t usually give much weight to price, $10.75 shipped for 100 blades is a good deal. All in all, i settled on giving the Lord Platinum Class a 5 out of 10. It’s probably better than it should get but for those of you who like the Shark Super Chrome (personally i didn’t care for them,) give the Lord’s a try. For a couple bucks more you might find it’s a better blade. Unless you hit a dud; in which case you’ll be cursing my recommendation.

Needless to say i’m happy all my Lord’s are now safely deposited in the blade bank. This period in my shaving life will forever be know as “The Dark Ages,” with the last blade ushering in an era of unprecedented shaving prosperity! Or so i hope...

Up next is a trip to the land of the rising sun where i trade the broadsword for a katana. The Kai Stainless Steel review will be posted shortly. Until then, happy shaving!

Attachments

• 9295E500-60C4-4C13-9A2B-5634E4BBC844.jpeg
    9295E500-60C4-4C13-9A2B-5634E4BBC844.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 43
  • 1E310449-23F1-47EE-A7C4-67A79777D554.jpeg
    1E310449-23F1-47EE-A7C4-67A79777D554.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • C23F6DC9-46B7-449F-A7A4-A6E4C3B4E392.jpeg
    C23F6DC9-46B7-449F-A7A4-A6E4C3B4E392.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 42
Thanks Starsky! To me they were just too inconsistent to recommend. I’ve only had one other dud blade so far after trying about 25 brands so i think it doesn’t speak highly about their quality. The “good” blade just wasn’t good enough to outweigh how crap the other one was.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the review. I bought a hundred of just about all the Lord blades. You are correct with odd dull blade. Last one I used out of the Green Box was one of the worst blades I’ve tried to date. Tossed it after three shaves. I never do that as I can normally get my seven shaves per blade. This time I knew it was not going to happen.

So i'm back with another monthly review! As before, each blade will be reviewed based on a 2 pass (plus touch up) shave using a Van Der Hagen long handled razor, some atrocious “Peace” soap that should never have been used for shaving and a generic Fento badger brush. I run through 2 of each blade and use each 4 times; for a total of 8 shaves per brand. I'll be grading based on sharpness, smoothness, longevity and consistency. Price will be a factor but only of it's very cheap or expensive since most DE blades are pretty cheap comparatively.

This review is round two with the Lord brand. For those who read my last review, you already know i truly hated the Lord Super Stainless. It was top 2 worst blades i’ve ever tried, so needless to say i wasn’t very enthusiastic about trying another Lord product. Despite that, i’ll give every blade a fair go and so too with the Lord Platinum.

The packaging is admittedly nice with Lord in red font with a black sword crossed through the “O” and “Platinum Class” in black font underneath. The blade itself is simple with “Lord Platinum Class” stamped on it. Looks though can be deceiving (i’m thinking of you Treet Carbon!) so lets get to the nitty gritty...

As usual we’ll start with sharpness: First blade was like deja-vu. Horrible. I literally opened the razor to make sure i didn’t accidentally load the old Lord Super Stainless in there. The shave was tuggy, wouldn’t cut my beard and was exactly the same as the Super Stainless. 4 miserable shaves later and i was considering skipping the second blade altogether. After the 8 awful shaves from the Super Stainless and another 4 from the Platinum, i was beginning to wonder why i was even doing this. But, my pig headedness prevailed (per usual) and i unwrapped the second blade and loaded it up. To my surprise, the second blade was actually decent! On a scale of 1-10 i’d put the sharpness at about 6. So nothing crazy but it did a decent job of slicing through the ol’ whiskers. Shaves 2 and 3 were the best but i did notice a little dulling on the 4th shave.

Smoothness on the first blade was identical to the Super Stainless: rough and tuggy during the shave but my face surprisingly didn’t feel irritated after. The second blade had a decent glide while shaving and i didn’t have any nicks or weepers. I had a little irritation post shave with the second blade but nothing out of the ordinary.

Longevity on the first blade was abysmal. 1st shave was as awful as the last. For the second, longevity was slightly above average. I did notice some dulling on the 4th shave but probably could’ve gone another shave or two had i wanted to.

Consistency has to rank as awful just due to the fact that the first blade was clearly a dud. I’ve only caught a couple duds in my DE shaving journey but i’m here to tell you that if 1 of 2 blades i tried was no good, chances are if you’re buying Lord Platinums in bulk you're going to run across some bad ones. My advice would be to assume some Lords will be junk if you buy 50-100 of them. If you encounter one, don’t hesitate to trash it. You’ll thank me later.

Price is excellent at 10.75 per 100 on amazon. When i reviewed the Lord Super Stainless, they were going for 11.35 per 100. Which is...odd to say the least. I realize there are price variances between vendors but when the lower tier blades actually costs MORE, it makes you wonder. Either way, the Platinum Class is among the cheapest blades out there so price is certainly a consideration.

So how does one rate such a blade? In all honesty i had a difficult time coming up with a rating for the Platinum. On one hand it’s consistency is total garbage and one of the two blades was like shaving with a sharpened piece of flint. On the other hand, the second blade was just a hair better (had to get one pun in!) than middle of the road. Which is to say, it was a decent blade. And although i don’t usually give much weight to price, $10.75 shipped for 100 blades is a good deal. All in all, i settled on giving the Lord Platinum Class a 5 out of 10. It’s probably better than it should get but for those of you who like the Shark Super Chrome (personally i didn’t care for them,) give the Lord’s a try. For a couple bucks more you might find it’s a better blade. Unless you hit a dud; in which case you’ll be cursing my recommendation.

Needless to say i’m happy all my Lord’s are now safely deposited in the blade bank. This period in my shaving life will forever be know as “The Dark Ages,” with the last blade ushering in an era of unprecedented shaving prosperity! Or so i hope...

Up next is a trip to the land of the rising sun where i trade the broadsword for a katana. The Kai Stainless Steel review will be posted shortly. Until then, happy shaving!

Thx Macduff,

Yikes, I am just about to try n get some Lords silver star. If they are anything like a Lords stainless or platinum I'm going to make an urgent u turn n head back to my BICs.

Mawashi

Thx Macduff,

Yikes, I am just about to try n get some Lords silver star. If they are anything like a Lords stainless or platinum I'm going to make an urgent u turn n head back to my BICs.

Mawashi

Give the Silver Stars a try: IMO they are the pick of the Lord litter! Nice blades!! :a14::a14:

Thanks for the review. I bought a hundred of just about all the Lord blades. You are correct with odd dull blade. Last one I used out of the Green Box was one of the worst blades I’ve tried to date. Tossed it after three shaves. I never do that as I can normally get my seven shaves per blade. This time I knew it was not going to happen.

In a weird way i feel good that i’m not the only one who experienced a dud with the Lords. That way i know i’m not being unfair to the brand about bad quality control.

Also thanks for all the kind responses everyone! I probably don’t need to say it but YMMV as always. And BigJ it’s going to be a long while till i try any blades from Egypt again. Between the Shark SC and these Lords, it’s going to be a long while till i’m read to try them again. But the sample pack i bought when i started DE shaving is slowly coming to an end. So perhaps in the next batch...

Give the Silver Stars a try: IMO they are the pick of the Lord litter! Nice blades!! :a14::a14:

Hey BigJ,

Two questions before I decide to get em or not. Do silver stars shave anything like Astras? Which other blades would they most be similar to?

Happy shaves and thanks,

Mawashi

My miserable experience with Shark super stainless blades was sufficient for me to avoid other Lord brands. From your review, it sounds like my caution was justified.

My miserable experience with Shark super stainless blades was sufficient for me to avoid other Lord brands. From your review, it sounds like my caution was justified.

Yeah if you hated the sharks the Lords are definitely a blade to be avoided. The good Platinum blade i had WAS better, but still not worth it in my opinion.

This is one of the problems with branding. It might explain why there are so many sub-brands under a major. I still like the Derby brand, but I will never buy one again, will take a long look at any Turkish shave product before buying.

Hey BigJ,

Two questions before I decide to get em or not. Do silver stars shave anything like Astras? Which other blades would they most be similar to?

Happy shaves and thanks,

Mawashi

I also find Astra SP to be top tier! The rest of my top 5 include: GSB, Nacets, Personna reds and Personna labs. For me, Silver Stars are solid, just a cut below those but YMMV! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

Of the Lord factory brands, I've tried, Big Ben, Crown, and ASCO, I think I have most of the other ones around here as well. Crown was alright, ASCO is currently one of my favorites, and Big Ben was awful. I think I'll try out one of the Shark blades in my 6C in the near future. It's either that or try and get a decent shave out of my Mamba .70 tomorrow. Nah, I think I'll go for easy and use the 6C.

Well done, MacDuff!

I, too, have tried Asco, Crown, Silver Star, and Lord SS. Of the bunch the Lord SS was the harshest . . . not to imply the others were harsh. I really liked the Silver Star and Asco--darn nice shaves for a very reasonable price. Currently have a Crown loaded and will go for it's fifth use tomorrow morning--I am pretty pleased with it as well.

But the SS was rough from the get-go. I have tried it in two different razors, and while I can't say my results were near as wince-inducing as yours it was, for me, enough to make the decision to put them on my no-buy list.

Great review!

Lord razor blades Q.C. is all over the place.! Sometimes I get an excellent 100 blades but, most orders are real crud for shaving. I do not buy Lord blades because of this any longer.

I also find Astra SP to be top tier! The rest of my top 5 include: GSB, Nacets, Personna reds and Personna labs. For me, Silver Stars are solid, just a cut below those but YMMV! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

Thanks BigJ,

I get your choice of Nacets and GSBs but Astras are a no go for me and if the silver stars are even below an astra they're a definate no.

Almost every shave with an astra becomes a lucky draw for razor rash, a pimple breakout or a so so, acceptable shave.

Nacets, Feathers and BICs work so well that I really don't need to save 5¢ and try to endure a bad shave.

I'll likely get a few hundred more BICs, rotate my shaves between Nacets/BICs and breakout a feather now and then.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom