What's new

Maca Root Shave Cream

And the older version had Aloe. It had aloe gel not aloe powder.

Good point, that is literally what the sales rep told me when I was in the store. I had only received a sample and I went to the store to see if I could get the old formula on discount. He tried to sell me the new formula and I asked what changed and he said they "added Aloe" to the new version.

I still miss the version from 2006 (ish) which had a sandalwood scent. I used that way before I even really got into the whole shaving thing (truth be told I worked at corporate and got it free).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point, that is literally what the sales rep told me when I was in the store. I had only received a sample and I went to the store to see if I could get the old formula on discount. He tried to s the new formula and I asked what changed and he said they "added Aloe" to the new version.

I still miss the version from 2006 (ish) which had a sandalwood scent. I used that way before I even really got into the whole shaving thing (truth be told I worked at corporate and got it free).

I was searching online for it to see if I could get info on the old version and did come across this review from back in the day: Body Shop Cream -

Please feel free to delete the link to the review if it's against policy to link to another forum.

So did you get the new formula or felt deceived and left the store?

There is nothing wrong for someone who is not down the rabbit hole to get the new version of Maca Root & Aloe, but if someone had tried the older Sandalwood Cream and the next one famous Maca Root, which became easily one the best value for money cream, then he won't get the crappy new formula with Aloe powder(and in very small quantity,it is almost at the end of the ingredients list).

I must add here that the older Maca has exceptional slickness & residual post slickness that allows your razor (I tried with Feather) to go over and over the same spot and avoid razor burn. This feature is only available on higher-end soaps like Barrister, Declaration, PAA and other artisan products.

This older formula heavenly made cream outperforms the below soaps/creams in my den: (not in the section of the scent of course, performance only: density of the lather, cushion, slickness, residual slickness,post shave effect)

- Cella
- Nivea
- ToBS
- Lea Cream
- La Toja Stick
- Palmolive
- Proraso all the basic line
- Muhle Sea Buckhorn soap
- Avene Shave Cream
- Omega Cream
- Speick cream, not the stick

Of course it cannot be compared to my Valobra hard puck, SV 4.0 Mana, St. James, PAA, Phoenix & Beau, Haslinger Schafmilch which are the Holly monsters of my shaving den, based to my experience of course.

How much this Royal cream cost? At about 13,50 euros in Greece when it was available (rip old Maca) and way cheaper in the UK and in the US. The scent? Not something interesting for me, but WHO CARES.

Was it worth the money? Hell yeah! Take my money and give me a carton box with 12 creams inside to stock..

Sorry for the long post, some things must be clear for anyone who does not know what this cream can offer.

@MntnMan62 I want your thoughts on my post please.

There is nothing wrong for someone who is not down the rabbit hole to get the new version of Maca Root & Aloe, but if someone had tried the older Sandalwood Cream and the next one famous Maca Root, which became easily one the best value for money cream, then he won't get the crappy new formula with Aloe powder(and in very small quantity,it is almost at the end of the ingredients list).

I must add here that the older Maca has exceptional slickness & residual post slickness that allows your razor (I tried with Feather) to go over and over the same spot and avoid razor burn. This feature is only available on higher-end soaps like Barrister, Declaration, PAA and other artisan products.

This older formula heavenly made cream outperforms the below soaps/creams in my den: (not in the section of the scent of course, performance only: density of the lather, cushion, slickness, residual slickness,post shave effect)

- Cella
- Nivea
- ToBS
- Lea Cream
- La Toja Stick
- Palmolive
- Proraso all the basic line
- Muhle Sea Buckhorn soap
- Avene Shave Cream
- Omega Cream
- Speick cream, not the stick

Of course it cannot be compared to my Valobra hard puck, SV 4.0 Mana, St. James, PAA, Phoenix & Beau, Haslinger Schafmilch which are the Holly monsters of my shaving den, based to my experience of course.

How much this Royal cream cost? At about 13,50 euros in Greece when it was available (rip old Maca) and way cheaper in the UK and in the US. The scent? Not something interesting for me, but WHO CARES.

Was it worth the money? Hell yeah! Take my money and give me a carton box with 12 creams inside to stock..

Sorry for the long post, some things must be clear for anyone who does not know what this cream can offer.

@MntnMan62 I want your thoughts on my post please.

I can’t speak to the older Sandalwood formula because I never tried it. Only the older Maca Root and I agree as to its performance. But I also happen to like the scent. It’s light but clean and grassy fresh. I haven’t tried a lot of the creams or soaps on your list but I put it right up there. And when You consider that I paid about $8.30 for each tub including shipping, you jussi can’t beat the value. I now have two full tubs and am happy that I’ll have some for quite a long time.

I left the store with the new product. Previously, I only had used a sample of the old product, so I did not have an actual container to compare ingredients with. Add that to the fact that the sales rep indicated that this "new one has aloe", I mean - why would I doubt that statement? He was supposedly the expert on their own products.

In any event, I was in there with my lady and I told her I'm going to pass because I didn't want to pay $16 on the new version when I knew that the older version could probably be had elsewhere at a discount. But she insisted and bought it for me.

I left the store with the new product. Previously, I only had used a sample of the old product, so I did not have an actual container to compare ingredients with. Add that to the fact that the sales rep indicated that this "new one has aloe", I mean - why would I doubt that statement? He was supposedly the expert on their own products.

In any event, I was in there with my lady and I told her I'm going to pass because I didn't want to pay $16 on the new version when I knew that the older version could probably be had elsewhere at a discount. But she insisted and bought it for me.
Wow 16$?? For Aloe Powder? Well, shave with this one, search for the old one formula and feedback please.

I was in Body Shop today and spoke to the shop manager (male fwiw) about the new formula. He told me that BS shave cream is a constant best seller and that the new product is nr identical to the Maka Root but that the Maka root has been replaced with aloa to freshen up the range and improve post shave performance. I asked about gel vs powder i the ingredients and he said thats just a percentage thing as there is so much more aloa needed to replace the Maka root that using gel would have bulked out the cream too much.

Sounded plausable tbh....

Wow 16$?? For Aloe Powder? Well, shave with this one, search for the old one formula and feedback please.
I have not noticed a discernible difference between the two, to be honest. Fair disclosure - as was mentioned before I only had a sample of the old formula so I didn't have a ton of experience to compare it to. Maybe 3-4 shaves.

In general I really like the product but I think the $16 price point is a big high.

Your assumption about the salesperson in the company store is more than reasonable. Unfortunately it seems the qualification requirements for many jobs these days is pitifully low, as you experienced. I’ve seen the old formula on Amazon for the same $16 so you could get a tub of each and do a real comparison. I know we are all making a big deal about the type of aloe in the cream but I’m sure even the new formula is probably pretty good. It may not be as good as the old but given how good it was, that’s a pretty high bar to set.

I insist that Aloe gel & powder are different substances and there was no obvious reason to change the successful formula.

The price is pretty terrible at 16$ when with this money you can get a B&M soap.

If you give a safety razor to the manager of BS he won't be able to shave, im sure. The powder is at the end of the list and aloe gel was up there on the top.

I will definitely ask for a sample to shave with the new formula, before I throw it to the trash, and of course I wont pay 16$ for this one.

Body shop cream is $16 ($12 it is on sale atm) for 6.7 oz in the US
Barrister and mann is $19 for 4 oz for most of its popular range. That is a big delta.

Regarding powders:
The aloe vera gel is rinsed to remove remnants of aloin (the laxative ingredient in the latex) and dehydrated. The dried gel is then ground into powder form. Use in: Food and beverages.

I'm not defending BS but i think we are overthinking this tbh

Barrister & Mann worths the extra 3 dollars btw even with less quantity.

It's true that we are overthinking this but you didn't see my signature or my avatar... :)

Wow didn't expected that!

Slickness, cushion or post shave feeling?

There is no slicker shaving product in my experience than Maka root. It is phenomenal.
Cushion of B&M is ok but not as good as some like MWF. Maka Root has good cushion , but not enough to get in the way of the shave. Post shave of Maka root is as good as, if not better than B&M.
Where B&M excells over maka root is in scent and presentation. The B & M jar is great (the Maka root isnt bad tbh). B &M has proper scents. Some apparently find them polarizing but they are far better than the "Meh" neutral scent of Maka Root.

There is no slicker shaving product in my experience than Maka root. It is phenomenal.
Cushion of B&M is ok but not as good as some like MWF. Maka Root has good cushion , but not enough to get in the way of the shave. Post shave of Maka root is as good as, if not better than B&M.
Where B&M excells over maka root is in scent and presentation. The B & M jar is great (the Maka root isnt bad tbh). B &M has proper scents. Some apparently find them polarizing but they are far better than the "Meh" neutral scent of Maka Root.

Agreed. The slickness of Maca is excellent for me too!

What I want from a product is not the good scent only but to have stellar performance on my sensitive face.

The Maca Root is my best cream along with my SJOL.

Thanks Atinofpeas.

Now that I have my tub of the old formula I intend to do some side by side comparisons. Next time I'm in the lower 48 I'll grab a sample of the new formula, as they don't have Body Shops where I'm at in Alaska.

Top Bottom