What's new

Mac vs Windows 10

It's exceedingly easy to track anyone who goes on the internet, everything from the hardware you're using to the specific OS and browser versions are pretty easy for most platforms to capture.

the other nuance is chrome / android etc are flavors of Linux and web based shared documents clearly are functional and making enough inroads to alarm MS

regards
avi

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Guys thanks for the input. My question about Mac Vs Windows is purely out of frustration. I am old enough that I started using a computer when the OS was DOS. I am just getting worn out with windows updates especially updates that create a conflict with an existing program that then requires you to go back to a restore point to resolve the conflict.
My computer is ready for an upgrade but the increased cost for a MAC may not be justified. I use my laptop for business (mortgage) and personal. Although I do some photo editing it is minor.

About 6 years ago I was in the same predicament as you. I was fed up with Windows and jumped into an iMac. I wish I had done it sooner. I run Office for Mac and it does everything I need. 6 years later that iMac is still on my desk and running just as stable and hasn't slowed down (that I can notice anyway). Seems like Win systems were having issues by 6 mos, by 2-3 years I was ready to throw it out the window. We now have two MacBook Pros that were given to us. One is a mid 2012 model (3 years with us) and one is a 2011 (one year with us). Both work great.

Maybe Win is better now but I'm very happy with my switch to Mac.

First thing I did with the last three Macs I owned was to install Bootcamp and then Windows 7 or 10. Would only occasionally use the Mac OS to struggle though some sort of admin or maintenance task. While certainly not an IT professional I know enough about configuring and managing Windows to, usually, not have any significant issues. Also much of the enterprise software I use is only either Windows or Linux based so never a professional reason to consider a Mac.

My point being its whatever you're comfortable with and what tasks you need to complete. If you're happy to just drive the mouse and never want to look under the hood, use web based apps that are platform agnostic and are cool in paying a >30% premium for the hardware then Mac is for you; otherwise PC it is.

Besides, if you don't stick with Windows you'll make Steve very sad.
sb sad.gif

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's exceedingly easy to track anyone who goes on the internet, everything from the hardware you're using to the specific OS and browser versions are pretty easy for most platforms to capture.

What @Avi said:

the other nuance is chrome / android etc are flavors of Linux and web based shared documents clearly are functional and making enough inroads to alarm MS

regards
avi

Plus the Internet Server and Supercomputer segments are dominated by Linux.

I've used all three and, for me, Linux checks more of my personal requirements than windoze - by far. :)

Very much a YMMV area. :)

Reactions: Avi
What @Avi said:

Plus the Internet Server and Supercomputer segments are dominated by Linux.

I've used all three and, for me, Linux checks more of my personal requirements than windoze - by far. :)

Very much a YMMV area. :)

Heheh grew up on the same from the science side (now almost free computing on the AWS it seems ). When the pi's came out, a friend mpi'd (mpiched) a cluster of them together on his kitchen table, and our joke was super computer or stupid computer :) Regardless it was super cool !

Regards
Avi

Top Bottom