What's new

Mac vs Windows 10

I am considering a MacBook 13. If you have moved from a windows laptop to a MacBook (Apple operating system) what are your thoughts. Yes/no.

Thank you

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
It all depends on what you use it for. If you tell us what the intended use is, then people can give you a better answer. I've used a Mac at work and a Windows machine, the Mac sucked because it was a business environment with lots of Microsoft centric things such as Sharepoint and what not that simply sucked on the Mac. I run a Mac at home and like it a lot. Like I said the answer depends on your needs.

I personally went the other way, from Mac to Windows. Mac is slick and all, but the planned obsolescence, absurd cost, incompatability, and the fact Apple is more fashion than technology company these days put me right off.

I use Windows at work and purchased an iMac for my wife last year and use it from time to time. My wife wife loves her iMac. She does basic tasks; Word, Excel, Numbers (Apple version of Excel), web browsing, and email. The system works well. However, I just ordered a new laptop to replace mine, which is getting old. I considered a Mac but I am just not impressed enough to spend the extra money on a Mac. Windows is fairly stable these days, but I am not a fan of Windows either. I intend to install Linux Mint on the unit as soon as it arrives, which is what I use now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I went from Windows to Mac about four years ago, largely because Microsoft provided no easily accessible assistance. Apple, on the other hand albeit through the Apple assistance warrantee at a cost, provides marvelous assistance. The Mac was more expensive than a comparable Windows machine, but the Mac came with all the software I wanted included. It was easier to learn the operating system, and was helped a lot be the fact that all the school children in our town used Macs in school. And the internet forums are easier for me to navigate and get still more assistance. I am not looking back despite having had microsoft since 286x.

I use Windows at work and purchased an iMac for my wife last year and use it from time to time. My wife wife loves her iMac. She does basic tasks; Word, Excel, Numbers (Apple version of Excel), web browsing, and email. The system works well. However, I just ordered a new laptop to replace mine, which is getting old. I considered a Mac but I am just not impressed enough to spend the extra money on a Mac. Windows is fairly stable these days, but I am not a fan of Windows either. I intend to install Linux Mint on the unit as soon as it arrives, which is what I use now.

I just moved to Linux Mint 19.3 on my Asus laptop. So far so good, Tired of the whole windows update and slowness due to bloatware.

I use Windows at work due to that's what the company uses, no escaping that. I think like earlier posts, what you need it for and what environment you are in play a big part in the decision too. There's only a few applications that aren't available on Linux but there's ways around that.

Guys thanks for the input. My question about Mac Vs Windows is purely out of frustration. I am old enough that I started using a computer when the OS was DOS. I am just getting worn out with windows updates especially updates that create a conflict with an existing program that then requires you to go back to a restore point to resolve the conflict.
My computer is ready for an upgrade but the increased cost for a MAC may not be justified. I use my laptop for business (mortgage) and personal. Although I do some photo editing it is minor.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Apple has their own way of doing things, and it's their way or the highway. By the same token, Apple doesn't play well with others (although it's better than it used to be). If you like the way Apple does things, and you are prepared to go 100% Apple, then you'll probably love Apple. If you don't like the way Apple does things, or if you are probably going to be going back and forth between Apple and Windows/Android, dealing with Apple can be endless frustration.

Personally, I am a bit more of a free spirit than Apple likes, so Apple drives me up the wall. Windows certainly has its drawbacks, but I'll take them over Apple. I also have friends who think I'm absolutely nuts.

I just moved to Linux Mint 19.3 on my Asus laptop. So far so good, Tired of the whole windows update and slowness due to bloatware.

I use Windows at work due to that's what the company uses, no escaping that. I think like earlier posts, what you need it for and what environment you are in play a big part in the decision too. There's only a few applications that aren't available on Linux but there's ways around that.
If you haven't already, consider an SSD drive with your system. It gave me a couple additional years out of my laptop and desktop (the desktop won't be replaced, just retired).

Apple has their own way of doing things, and it's their way or the highway. By the same token, Apple doesn't play well with others (although it's better than it used to be). If you like the way Apple does things, and you are prepared to go 100% Apple, then you'll probably love Apple. If you don't like the way Apple does things, or if you are probably going to be going back and forth between Apple and Windows/Android, dealing with Apple can be endless frustration.

Personally, I am a bit more of a free spirit than Apple likes, so Apple drives me up the wall. Windows certainly has its drawbacks, but I'll take them over Apple. I also have friends who think I'm absolutely nuts.
You belong to a forum about shaving, so yeah, I think we are all a bit nuts. Grin.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

If Apple went out of business, I’d go back to Linux.

My department at work switched to Macs because it's easier to work with the open source tools we need on Macs than Windows (we're mostly at the command line). I've used both OSes for years, but I'm all Apple at home except for my Chromebook. It just works and I've had no major issues getting the Mac to do anything I want.

... I am just getting worn out with windows updates especially updates that create a conflict with an existing program that then requires you to go back to a restore point to resolve the conflict.
My computer is ready for an upgrade but the increased cost for a MAC may not be justified. I use my laptop for business (mortgage) and personal. Although I do some photo editing it is minor.

I also got tired of Windows updates, which caused both my laptop and desktop to need reinstall everything one time for each machine. After those experiences, I would get stressed every time Windows was telling me it was about to update the machine. Just too much worry that it would break the machine! And let's not forget about how much Windows monitors you and reports back to the mothership! Windows OS is basically a way to send you ads. No, I don't want Candy Crush! I don't want to have to the OS not to see these types of games when I click the start button. No, Cortana, I don't want to talk to you!

Switched both machines to Linux Mint. Love it and have no intention to go back to Windows. For your mortgage business, you can likely use Libre Office to replace all your Word, Excel, and PPT needs. If that doesn't work, you can always use the online version of the Microsoft products through your browser. Not sure what type of photo editing you do, but I had already started using GIMP on Windows instead of Photoshop, and GIMP comes with Mint and many versions of Linux. If you don't need that much horsepower, there are lots of free programs for Linux that will probably work for you.

As I type this on my desktop, my update manager tells me I have 44 updates available (between the OS and the apps). I am in complete control as to when I do the update. (As you can tell I haven't done it for a while - but even so the machine is running as smooth as silk!). When you do the update, there is none of the endless reboots and "getting things ready..." nonsense.

Unless your machine is physically breaking, you could likely just put Mint on it and go from there! You could go the Mac route, but it is pricey, and ultimately you only end up doing the same work with it anyway. So why pay a bundle to do it?

New edit: I just downloaded and installed the 44 updates. The download was ~600 MB, and I'd estimate the download took about 40% of the total time for the whole process (I have fairly low speed internet). Then the updates went ahead. No reboots at all. At the end of it was a simple check mark icon and a message that the system was up to date. Came back to report it here and saw on the my last post on this thread that it was 18 minutes ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: abj

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I personally went the other way, from Mac to Windows. Mac is slick and all, but the planned obsolescence, absurd cost, incompatability, and the fact Apple is more fashion than technology company these days put me right off.

You say planned obsolescence, but I see many more Windows machines that have slowed to a crawl after 5 years whereas a Mac or Linux machine will be just as fast as it was the day you got it. Good old registry rot.

For home use, unless I needed a particular piece of software that was only on Windows, I would either go Mac or Linux.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
A resounding YES from me. I'll never go back to PC. Of course I have to use PC at work, but it's not my headache when it screws up, slows down, crashes, or needs to be replaced.

I do, however, want a gaming laptop. And that is something PC does best. So I don't entirely dislike them. PC has its uses. I just converted my mother to a Mac Mini (my old one).

Surprised at the volume of complaints about OS upgrades. My phone and desktop offer to update frequently and (thankfully) have not broken anything. Likewise some apps do the same. I would not want to miss the security patches.

The OS matters less to me than the hardware capability (speed, storage, display, etc). Availability of certain applications is certainly key as well as security, configurability, and how smoothly it functions. But when using a web browser to visit websites like this forum, the OS should fade into the background.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You say planned obsolescence, but I see many more Windows machines that have slowed to a crawl after 5 years whereas a Mac or Linux machine will be just as fast as it was the day you got it. Good old registry rot.

For home use, unless I needed a particular piece of software that was only on Windows, I would either go Mac or Linux.
+1000

Macs rule; BUT if your work is gonna stick their nose into your computer and install software....forget about it...they will probably ruin it..... those IT people (at least at my work) were destroyers of macs.... Like feeding fine fillet to a donkey

Anecdotes are anecdotes. I've owned nothing but apple machines almost my whole life and they've always let me down within 3 years. Plus, windows machines are far more easily upgradable when they begin to slow.

Their screens and trackpads are great, when they're working. The rest of a Mac? Not so much. I use them all day at work, my computers at home are all Windows PCs.

IMO, Apple has gone from making some of the best computers in the world to some of the worst. 5400RPM mechanical hard drives? Really Apple? In 2020? REALLY? Fortunately with a MacBook you'll get an SSD. It's soldered to the logic board, but at least you get one, unlike the suckers who bought the budget iMacs (Tim Cook must hate the educational market). Apple keyboards are also probably the second worst thing ever. Right behind 5400RPM hard drives.

Top Bottom