What's new

Mac & Cheese goes with …?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Yeah, in the US it's Mac&Sleaze. Here in Canada it's Kraft Dinner.

When I was in university back in the last century I'd wait for it to come on sale 10 boxes for a dollar, then stock up. A box of mac'n'cheez, a can of cheap chili, and about four sliced hot dogs was a solid one-pot dinner for two. Didn't do that too often but maybe once a month it was good comfort food.

I will say Kraft was primarily responsible for me committing to actually cooking most of my meals from ingredients.

O.H.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Hatch peppers.
Jimmy Dean Country Mild sausage, well done.
More mac & cheese.
Very small rocks.
Gravy.
Cider.
Churches.
Lead.
A duck!

7B69D994-8865-4B0B-BE51-8D8DA7BE24CC.jpeg

Well, after looking elsewhere :rolleyes1 I have now 3 contenders…

Oven roasted broccoli
Garlic shrimps
Chilli

I'm with you on pairing M&C with broccoli or chili, but combining mac and cheese with garlic shrimp does not appeal to me. Yes to the garlic, no to the shrimp. I also would not be inclined to pair M&C with a fish that was not breaded and deep fried. I tend to think that it goes well with nearly any beef, pork, or chicken dish that is sufficiently seasoned. Lightly- or mildly-seasoned meat dishes may not work right with the M&C pairing.

So I went with a kiddie version Chilli. And yes @Whisky , everything was done from scratch as there is no Velveeta or such available here. Béchamel, sharp Cheddar, elbow pasta, garlic powder and Hungarian paprika :)

I've done the bechamel version of M&C several times in the past and I was never happy with the results. The flour muted the flavor and if I used a hard, flavorful cheese I found it very difficult to keep the sauce from becoming gloppy and oily. I then learned to make the cheese sauce by combining a soft cheese with hard cheeses and other dairy components like butter and milk. If the hard cheese is added to the pan when the other ingredients are already hot and melted, the hard cheese will melt, but not break down. The flavor and texture distribute nicely. Cream cheese normally fills the soft-cheese role for me, but it may have a different name or not be available to you. I expect that any mildly-flavored soft cheese would work fine.

I am not a Velveeta fan.

I've paired M&C with many foods, and a properly-made meatloaf is a favorite for me. 'Meatloaf' does not have a uniform meaning to people. For me, it is ultimately savory, not sweet, and it has more vegetable content than you might expect. I'm not sure that sharing the recipe details will be of any use to you, only because our respective grocery stores carry different stock and use different product names. I tried making my chili recipe for friends of mine while in Britain years ago. I had a horrible time trying to find suitable ingredients for the purpose and I was pretty underwhelmed by the end product.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I am not a Velveeta fan.
Those are fighting words. :biggrin1:

J/K I guess I don’t hate it, but I only have it once a year at Super Bowl parties. Mixed with ground sausage, Rotel, and a little milk it makes an excellent dip. Now that I think about it I only eat the dip after I’ve had a good amount of alcohol. Maybe I’m not an fan either. 🤔

With our kids, g-kids and gg-kid, scattered to the four winds, my wife hasn't made it in years. She won't eat it, so no point in her making it. I buy a 4-pack of individual, microwavable cups at the supermarket. It's easy and makes for a nice side dish or snack for someone like me who doesn't care about eating healthy.

I'm with you on pairing M&C with broccoli or chili, but combining mac and cheese with garlic shrimp does not appeal to me. Yes to the garlic, no to the shrimp. I also would not be inclined to pair M&C with a fish that was not breaded and deep fried. I tend to think that it goes well with nearly any beef, pork, or chicken dish that is sufficiently seasoned. Lightly- or mildly-seasoned meat dishes may not work right with the M&C pairing.

I've done the bechamel version of M&C several times in the past and I was never happy with the results. The flour muted the flavor and if I used a hard, flavorful cheese I found it very difficult to keep the sauce from becoming gloppy and oily. I then learned to make the cheese sauce by combining a soft cheese with hard cheeses and other dairy components like butter and milk. If the hard cheese is added to the pan when the other ingredients are already hot and melted, the hard cheese will melt, but not break down. The flavor and texture distribute nicely. Cream cheese normally fills the soft-cheese role for me, but it may have a different name or not be available to you. I expect that any mildly-flavored soft cheese would work fine.

I am not a Velveeta fan.

I've paired M&C with many foods, and a properly-made meatloaf is a favorite for me. 'Meatloaf' does not have a uniform meaning to people. For me, it is ultimately savory, not sweet, and it has more vegetable content than you might expect. I'm not sure that sharing the recipe details will be of any use to you, only because our respective grocery stores carry different stock and use different product names. I tried making my chili recipe for friends of mine while in Britain years ago. I had a horrible time trying to find suitable ingredients for the purpose and I was pretty underwhelmed by the end product.
Happy to get a dairy/cheese only recipe. I only used mature cheddar with the Béchamel but a chesse mix might be more flavorful.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
We have a grandson who is a pretty fussy eater, and he's too skinny to skip a meal. For both Thanksgiving and Christmas my daughter made a big pot of three cheese mac and cheese. Everyone had some and loved it. Turkey and ham paired well.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Those are fighting words. :biggrin1:

J/K I guess I don’t hate it, but I only have it once a year at Super Bowl parties. Mixed with ground sausage, Rotel, and a little milk it makes an excellent dip. Now that I think about it I only eat the dip after I’ve had a good amount of alcohol. Maybe I’m not an fan either. 🤔
Booze makes most things better.

Top Bottom