What's new

Mac Baren HH Rustica

I got an email from Smoking Pipes the other day about a new blend, Mac Baren HH Rustica. The special tobacco is Nicotiana Rustica.

From Tobacco Reviews, The Nicotiana Rustica is the sister of the tobacco plant that we know and love (Nicotiana Tabacum). Native to the Amazon region and other parts of South America, the plant and the various types of use spread throughout the American continent. The English settlers found the rustica tobacco in North America in 1607 and saw how the native Indians smoked the tobacco in clay pipes. Since the nicotine content of the rustic plant is unusually high, however, it quickly went out of fashion when the Virginia and burley tobaccos known today were discovered and spread. Today, tobacco on a rustic basis can only be found in Eastern Europe, in the countries of the Middle East and in Asia. A new process was developed to make this very potent tobacco edible for the German palate. The tobacco leaves are sun dried and thus retain their natural sugar. Dark Virginia and Burley were also added to balance the flake. Like all flakes of the HH series, the Rustica was also hot pressed, which allows the tobacco flavors to combine optimally and to mature through a light fermentation. Despite all these measures, the HH Rustica still has a very high nicotine content, it is by far the strongest tobacco in the Mac Baren range and is probably one of the strongest pipe tobacco worldwide. We recommend that you eat well and use a small pipe before enjoying this flake, but don't be put off; the Mac Baren HH Rustica is probably the most extraordinary tobacco of recent years and an absolute pleasure experience.

I like strong tobacco i.e, Old Joe Krantz and Irish Flake. I decided to give it a try.

Tin Aroma: vinegar/ketchup.
Moisture: moist, normal Mac feel.
First bowl: rubbed out flake and let dry for 20 minutes. Wow, this stuff is strong! Good nic hit. Nutty, oak, and black pepper.

2nd bowl: rubbed out no dry time. Very smooth. Nic hit not too terrible.

3rd bowl: rubbed out no dry time. Sun grown cigar notes. Smooth. Never got bitter or hot!

Overall: I like this tobacco! I don’t think the nic hit is as strong as advertised but it’s strong. Enjoy!

4CBD0F3C-F506-45D7-B5BB-0497D1780EB7.jpeg
670D33A3-B155-4F58-BB21-AAF0B7C228B6.jpeg

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Nice review! Thanks for sharing.

The vinegar/ketchup smell makes me wonder if some Nicotiana Rustica was part of the secret behind the smell and taste of McClelland blends.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I have some inbound, figured it would be something unique to have at the very least. Thanks for the review! I looked at Tobacco Reviews last night and saw none for it...I'm happy to have some first hand insights.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I’ve got a couple tins heading my way. Probably should have ordered more. Every MacBaren in the HH line that I have tried is the perfect moisture out of the tin. Perhaps I’ve been lucky.

I notice a dark fired Kentucky tin note as well. During the smoke, it comes and goes. Could just be the spice. I like this tobacco!

Top Bottom