What's new

Mabie Todd Swan ID help

I was hoping that someone could help me out identifying what specific Mabie Todd Swan model I just acquired. I was in Manhattan the other day at a fountain pen store, with the intent of just getting some paper. But after spending a great deal of time experimenting with this Swan flex, I had to have it. Here are some photos:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This engraving reads:

WITH COMPLIMENTS
DOMINION DAIRY COMPANY, LTD
MADE BY MABIE, TODD & CO. LTD

The only internet info I've been able to glean about the dairy company shows there was one with this name in the UK.

I was using this quite a bit last night, and I really enjoy the nib. I don't have much experience with flex pens, as the only ones I have are the Noodler's Ahab. I've experimented with the Pilot Falcon on several occasions, but didn't care for it - the nib on that seems to "spring" rather than "flex" (if that makes any sense).

Just plain WOW!

Superb pen in red woodgrain hard rubber, nib looks original, I have seen a similar pen, a gift from the same dairy, with a replacement MT NY nib at $220.

Some of the UK Mabie Todds had model numbers stamped into the end of the barrel

http://modjourn.org/pdf/december1910/StrandNov1910.pdf

Have a look at Page 10 of the Strand Magazine from 1910. Your pen is later, I would say mid 1920s, but the style was there from 1910. This magazine seems full of adverts for pens, razors and many other things, it was also where the first Sherlock Holmes were published

I am not sure that there was a specific model to your pen, I have seen some people describe it as SF5, possibly you may find a stamp 230b/61, I think your pen is described, and pictured, here:

Part Two A

Again, a great find.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
You could try contacting David L. Moak, he authored the book Mabie in America: Writing Instruments from 1843-1941 and is somewhat of an authority on them. I'm sorry I can't find my copy in CD-Rom he gave me in the early 2000s, I sold him a couple pens and he sweetened the deal IIRC.

Beautiful pen, by the way!

Top Bottom