What's new

M7, Rover and Hive.

M7 vs The Hive vs Rover...

A member contacted me for advice regarding a brush from Simpsons.

Hair grade had already been decided - Manchurian.

Handle shape was the primary source of debate.

The choice was M7, Rover or The Hive.

I was having difficulty attaching images to my PM, so I decided to start this thread and perhaps others might find it of interest too.

So, here are some pics of the 3 brushes...

$Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.21.18 am.png

M7 in Briar, The Hive in Disco Haze and Rover in Horn (all Manchurian)

$Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.22.59 am.png

From above,

$Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.24.32 am.png

And below.

Brush specs:

M7
Handle height: 60mm
Knot: 21.5 x 50mm

The Hive
Handle height: 55mm
Knot: 21 x 50mm

Rover
Handle height: 45mm
Knot: 21.5 x 50mm

And my thoughts on the three...

All feature similar sized knots. The M7 feels the fullest of the three, with the Rover perhaps being the least dense (but only slightly).
As the hair grade on all three is Manchurian and that is not essentially the topic of discussion, I won't comment in detail.
All three, feature the hallmark qualities of Manchurian.
Strong backbone, minimal splay yet soft tips*.
(*Post Jubilee, Simpson Manchurian has noticeably softer tips IMO).
All provide feedback or sensation against the face on account of individual hair strength.
The M7 maintains the greatest knot integrity of the three.
The Rover and The Hive remind me more of Plisson HMW density wise, but without the high loft.

The M7 features the tallest handle and the Rover the shortest. The Hive feels the most substantial in weight and girth.
My first impression in relation to the ergonomics of the The Hive were not as favourable as the other two.
Initially it felt overweight and awkward to hold.
However, the ribbing provides wonderful grip and for me it is most comfortable when held towards the base of the brush.

Visually The Hive is the most unique IMHO, but the M7 appears the most balanced in form and aesthetics.
The Hive, is the brush that is likely to be the most polarising - you'll either love it or hate it.
The M7 is perhaps the best all rounder, but I personally like the Rover.

The Rover sees the more use out of the three, but that's because I predominately face lather.
When I bowl lather (which is becoming more frequent), I employ an Aesop stainless steel bowl.
The bowl boasts a wide opening, so handle length is really not influential to me.
That said, I believe the M7 would be the best of the bunch for those that primarily bowl lather.
Although The Hive handle is also tall, the diameter of the handle is wider than all three,
making it less appealing for use in a bowl.
If I had to choose the ultimate bowl lathering Simpson Manchurian brush, it would be the E3.
If anyone is interested I will post some comparison pics of the E3 vs M7 too.

In summary, choose the Rover if you face lather, the M7 if you bowl lather and The Hive if you covert a unique handle...

* * *​

Last edited:
I was amazed at how well the Rover fits in my hand. It's still the most comfortable handle i've had the pleasure of using, though unfortunately I haven't had the pleasure of using either of the other brushes.

Agreed Jack, the Rover is supremely comfortable.

Thanks Mel, kind words are always appreciated!

Here are a couple of E3 vs M7 pics...

$Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.53.23 am.png

$Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 11.53.49 am.png

The brushes are sat in the Aesop bowl I mentioned above.

* * *​

Last edited:
Great photos as always Ben, I didn't know that about the specific feel of the handle on the Simpson Hive. Always enlightening sir, never get tired of staring at your collection!

Your use of the Rover to face lather is because of the compactness of the handle? Because knot wise, they're roughly all the same. So if I understand, your saying that the Rover/Hive are similar in hair density while M7 has the higher density of the 3, right?

had to update...((drool))... you just added photos of the Emperor 3 Manchurian!

Great explanation Ben of these brushes. I also use the Rover and Hive for face lathering (along with a Classic 2) so I can appreciate what you have said. Again thanks for sharing.

Your use of the Rover to face lather is because of the compactness of the handle? Because knot wise, they're roughly all the same. So if I understand, your saying that the Rover/Hive are similar in hair density while M7 has the higher density of the 3, right?

I tend to prefer shorter handles overall. The Duke 3, Chubby 2 & 3, Rover and Classic 1 are some of my preferred handles, especially for face lathering. The squat shape seems to promote a more confident grip and I can really "go to town" with them.

The density difference is NOT like comparing a Chubby to a Duke, but it is still there, just more subtle.

I tend to prefer shorter handles overall. The Duke 3, Chubby 2 & 3, Rover and Classic 1 are some of my preferred handles, especially for face lathering. The squat shape seems to promote a more confident grip and I can really "go to town" with them.

The density difference is NOT like comparing a Chubby to a Duke, but it is still there, just more subtle.

In all my AD, I've seemed to overlook the Duke 3/Rover. But I do find that w/ the Manchurian (smallest handled one I have is the Jubilee) you can really go to town scrubbing away as I also enjoy the sensation it gives. Appreciate your thoughts on the handles you like as you see so many I never think to ask what are ones your leaning on more frequently. thx Ben

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Superb shots and gorgeous brushes, Ben. The Dukes are my favourite in this lovely family. :thumbup1:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Thank-you Marco!

If I could only have one brush it would be a Duke 3...

Well, how to disagree? While the Chubby 1 is my favourite Simpson, the Duke 3 is the brush against which I compare any other brush - from any manufacturer. The knot size/density/backbone combined with the beautiful and comfortable handle shape makes the D3 the perfect all-round brush. Similar thoughts on its minor brother the Duke 2, which was, for those who don't know, the preferred brush of Alexander Simpson himself.

That M7 is lovely Ben. The M7 is my favorite Simpson handle, followed by the Chubby 2. I have an M7 in butterscotch Manchurian. When it arrived and I measured the knot with my digital caliper, I was delighted with the diameter of 24.50mm and loft of 51mm.

That M7 is lovely Ben. The M7 is my favorite Simpson handle, followed by the Chubby 2. I have an M7 in butterscotch Manchurian. When it arrived and I measured the knot with my digital caliper, I was delighted with the diameter of 24.50mm and loft of 51mm.

Wow! I'd be delighted too.

Those specs are more akin to my PJ3, but my M7 does have my name on it! :001_tt2:

$Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 9.47.55 am.png

Top Bottom