What's new

M Jung

I am new to straight razors and have been bitten my the bug. Only day 4 of shaving with a straight razor and I now have 2 straight razors. I purchased a M Jung Our Special today for $20. Does anyone have any information on this straight razor? I know it is a 7/8 hollow grind, and there isn't much i have found with google search. Honed and shave with it, really pleased with the shave, but this is day 4 of straight razor shaving. I am definitely enjoying the journey! Here is what I have been able to find. Any additional information or thoughts would be great. Thank you.

M. JUNG​

Importer​

90 70th St., Brooklyn, NY; moved to 149-151 Church St., New York City in 1921​

ca. 1911 - 1923​

M. JUNG RAZOR CORP.​

252 40th St., Brooklyn, NY (factory); 36 Warren St., New York City (main offices)​

ca. 1918 - 1923
mj.jpg
mj2.jpg
mj3.jpg

There seems to be very little information available on most old straight razor companies. I have a list of old German razor makers but it’s just the name and possible brand name and a date if known.
What you’ve found on that razor is more than Ive found on most of mine. The vast majority seem to be small one man band type companies.

Vintage razors seem to be either good or great. Use it and post your experience of it, which helps build a picture of the Razor for others who come across one and search for info.

So far I am enjoying it the most out of the other razors. Very new to the straight razor shaving, but it just shaves better then my Torrey, Robeson Cutlery Co, and much better then my Wester Bros De-FI. Not sure it it has anything to do with the weight being heaver or just better steel. I put the Robeson on Ebay cause of it shaving so much better. Will keep an eye out for another.

There is a reason why wider blades are usually more expensive, and it's not about the amount of steel used in their manufacture. They are more popular.

7/8ths would normally be regarded as not ideal for a beginner, but I am at a loss where that wisdom comes from. 6/8ths and 7/8ths are my favourite sizes, as they are the easiest for me to get a good shave from.

My thoughts on why:

1) The wider the blade, if the spine thickness is the same, the smaller the bevel angle. That means that it is easier to hone to a sharper edge.

2) Wide long blades are easy to shave with because you can use the middle part of the blade to shave with, so less of a chance that toe or the heel can bite you. Most surfaces on your face is rounded, so if the middle part of the edge is in contact with your skin, the rest is not touching.

3) Bigger blades cover a lot more ground in a stroke.

4) With a thinly ground wide blade, the steel actually flexes to a certain extent making them more forgiving.

Some will argue that smaller blades are more manoeuvrable, rightly so, but in the end it comes down to personal preference.

$20 - a sweet spot for a vintage SR.

My Robeson ShurEdge (American made) took some honing effort to get shave ready. It is now a fine shaver.

Most of my vintage Solingen acquisitions seem to hone reasonably easily. But every vintage razor that spent years unused is a special, unique case, so I wouldn't want to generalize.

I have an M. Jung 80, but it hasn't made its way out of the restoration queue yet.
365DA2FA-076A-46D4-824D-B9B0CA2E020B.jpeg

E0C9388C-1BF1-47B7-A4D5-21E853883F1F.jpeg

I just picked an 80 up at an antique store. Mint condition, and around $20., as well. I honed it on lapping film, pasted leather, and plain leather, and just had a shave with it. I figured someone here would have posted about it, and after a search, ended up in this thread. Freshly cleaned and oiled:

KIMG0173.JPG

Reminds me a bit of my experience.

Picked up my first SR, a 5/8 Dovo Colonial, from whippeddog.com. It came shave ready, and was less expensive than the same razor on other sites. I think I paid about $120 for it.

I really liked it. Still really like it.

I then purchased a backup, $25 vintage Noonan & Sons razor on eBay. It also came shave ready. I know it's a full hollow 5/8 (even though it seems wider than my Dovo) and a spanish tip. That's all I know about it.

Except this. I like shaving with it a lot more than the Dovo. Both are fine razors. (And I'd like to tighten the pivot pin on the Noonan at some point.)

I was just mildly surprised that the one I paid almost $100 more for is probably going to be my backup. Doing 2 weeks of shaves with each to confirm.

I sold it and bought a Windrose, which did not come shave ready. But wanted something different. Still happy with purchase. If I buy a razor one has to move out of slot, but that is just me.

Top Bottom