What's new

lycanthropes: favorite werewolf films

I love these furry little buggers and will pretty much watch any good horror flick with a big bad werewolf. I rewatched An American Werewolf In London the other night and might give The Howling a go this weekend.

so what are your favorites? are there any films of this genre that are good that many don't know about? I still need to see the Wolfman remake too

some of my faves:

American Werewolf In London
The Howling
Dog Soldiers
Ginger Snaps (the 3rd one - I still need to see the first two)
The Wolfman (1941)
Underworld
Silver Bullet
Werewolf of London (1935)

Although some might question if it really counts, I thought Wolfen was one of the smartest and most original of the genre.

A.W.I. London is a classic, and Dog Soldiers was pretty close. Unfortunately most of the others I've seen have been pretty bad--some bad in a good, trashy fun way (Underworld, the Howling) and many just bad. I'm saving the recent Wolf Man for October.

A.W.I. London is a classic, and Dog Soldiers was pretty close. Unfortunately most of the others I've seen have been pretty bad--some bad in a good, trashy fun way (Underworld, the Howling) and many just bad. I'm saving the recent Wolf Man for October.

yeah, there's plenty of rubbish floating around but I tend to take these films with a grain of salt - they are werewolf movies after all. teen wolf anyone? :lol:

ah! so many good films , my favorite actors in the werewolf films were lon chaney jr. , lugosi and german robles:w00t:

Last edited:
How about Oliver Reed in "Curse of the Werewolf?" I remember that one fondly.

I liked the first "Ginger Snaps" too, but I wasn't crazy about the sequels. I did however like the sequels to "The Howling," but only because they were so horrible. Something enjoyable about watching films that deplorable.

Was there a sequel to "Dog Soldiers?" I remember hearing that something was in the works, but I never saw it if it was produced.

I also like the Rankin/Bass "Mad Monster Party," which features a werewolf in its cast. Billed as a children's film (like all those other puppettoony Rankin Bass productions), I think that it's held up pretty well.

Last edited:
Was there a sequel to "Dog Soldiers?" I remember hearing that something was in the works, but I never saw it if it was produced.

I read that there was supposed to be a sequel as well, but haven't seen anything for it recently. I know the main actor from the first film (Cooper) is in Grey's Anatomy now, so maybe he's done doing horror flicks

This has to be one of the worst represented genres. It's really hard to find good werewolf movies with a good script, plot, acting, and an adult treatment, even using B movie standards. At least that's me feeling for classic and silver-era films. There are some better ones in the last couple decades.

Here's about all I'd want to recommend, aside from the obvious Universals. Not on this list are the Naschy films (marked in the main list) some of which are also worth seeing if you're really into werewolves and already know about Naschy. [Some of the notes are to help locate DVDs.]
  • Cry of the Werewolf (1944) [sinistercinema]
  • The Werewolf (1956) [Icons of Horror: Sam Katzman with Zombies of Mora Tau]
  • The Curse of the Werewolf (1961) [Hammer Horror Series]

Here's a list of werewolf films I put together on another forum. Not really my list, and I think there's stuff here that has nothing to do with werewolves, but someone insisted.
  • The Werewolf (1913)
  • Wolf Blood (1925) (aka. Wolfblood: A Tale of the Forest) [dvdr: grapevinevideo]
  • The Werewolf of London (1935) [Universal]
  • The Wolf Man (1941) Lon Chaney Jr, Claude Rains, Bela Lugosi [Universal]
  • The Mad Monster (1942) [pd: Horror Classics]
  • The Undying Monster (1942) (aka. The Hammond Mystery) [Fox Horror Classics Collection]
  • Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943) Lon Chaney Jr, Bela Lugosi, Lionel Atwill [Universal]
  • The Wolf of the Malveneurs (1943) (aka. Le Loup des Malveneur)
  • Idle Roomers (1944) (aka. The Three Stooges Meet The Wolf Man)
  • Cry of the Werewolf (1944) [sinistercinema]
  • She Wolf of London (1946) (aka. The Curse of the Allenbys) [Universal]
  • The Werewolf (1956) [Icons of Horror: Sam Katzman with Zombies of Mora Tau]
  • Castle of the Monsters (1958) (aka. El Castillo de los Monstruous; Noche de Terror)
  • I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957)
  • Daughter of Dr. Jekyll (1957)
  • How to Make a Monster (1958) (Dir. Herbert L. Strock) [Arkoff Cult Classics with Blood of Dracula]
  • Donald F. Glut's "Teenage Werewolf" Shorts (1959) (aka. The Teenage Werewolf, Return of the Teenage Werewolf, Teenage Frankenstein meets the Teenage Werewolf, Revenge of the Teenage Werewolf, Monster Rumble)
  • House of Terror (1959) (aka. La Casa del Terror) Lon Chaney Jr
  • The Man and the Monster (1959) (aka. El hombre y el monstruo)
  • The Curse of the Werewolf (1961) [Hammer Horror Series]
  • Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory (1961) [with: Terror Is a Man (1959)]
  • Lycanthropus (1962) (aka. Bei Vollmond Mord; Ghoul in a Girl's Dormitory; I Married a Werewolf; Monster Among the Girls; The Ghoul in School; Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory) [pd: Chilling Classics, with Terror is a Man]
  • Frankenstein, the Vampire and Co. (1962) (aka. Frankestein: El vampiro y compania)
  • Face of the Screaming Werewolf (1964)
  • The She Wolf (1965) (aka. La loba)
  • Orgy of the Dead (1965) (aka. Orgy of the Vampires)
  • Mad Monster Party (1969) (Karloff voice only)
  • The Mark of the Wolfman (1968) (aka. La marca del Hombre-lobo; Frankenstein's Bloody Terror; Hell's Creatures; The Wolfman of Count Dracula; The Mark of the Werewolf) (Naschy)
  • Nights of the Werewolf (1968) (aka. Las noches del Hombre Lobo)
  • Nympho Werewolf (1970)
  • Monstruos del terror, Los (1970) (aka. Dracula vs. Frankenstein, Dracula jagt Frankenstein, Assignment Terror, Operation Terror)
  • Cry of the Banshee (1970)
  • Beast of the Yellow Night (1971)
  • Homem Lobo, O (1971) (aka. The Werewolf)
  • Unexplained, The (1971) (aka. The Unexplained : Witches, Werewolves and Vampires)
  • Bosque del lobo, El (1971) (aka. The Ancines Woods, El Bosque de Ancines, The Wolf's Forest, The Wolfman of Galicia, El Hombre Lobo)
  • Werewolf Shadow (1971) (aka. La Noche de Walpurgis; The Werewolf Versus Vampire Women; Blood Moon; Werewolf Shadow; Shadow of the Werewolf) (Paul Naschy) (pd: Drive In Movie Classics)
  • Werewolves on Wheels (1971)
  • Rats Are Coming! The Werewolves are Here!, The (1972) (aka. The Curse of the Full Moon)
  • Santo contra las lobas (1972) (aka. Santo vs the She-Wolves)
  • Fury of the Wolfman (1972) (aka. La Furia del Hombre Lobo) (Paul Naschy) [Vintage Movie Classics: Serial Chillers; pd: Nightmare Worlds]
  • Dr. Jekyll and the Werewolf (1972) (aka. Dr. Jekyll y el Hombre Lobo; Dr. Jekyll vs. the Werewolf; Dr. Jekyll vs. the Wolfman)
  • Moon of the Wolf (TV) (1972) [pd: SciFi Classics]
  • Dracula contra Frankenstein (1972) (aka. Dracula Against Frankenstein, Dracula Vs. Dr. Frankenstein, Screaming Dead, Dracula Prisoner of Frankenstein, Dracula Prisonnier de Frankenstein)
  • The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (1973)
  • Quem Tem Medo de Lobisomem? (1973) (aka. Who's Afraid of the Werewolf?)
  • Curse of the Devil (1973) (aka, El Retorno de Walpurgis; Return of the Werewolf; The Return of Walpurgis; The Black Harvest of Countess Dracula) (Paul Naschy)
  • The Werewolf of Washington (1973) [pd: Tales of Terror]
  • Okami no monsho (1973) (aka. Crest / Horror / Mark of the Wolf)
  • Santo y Blue Demon contra Dracula y el Hombre Lobo (1973) (aka. Santo and Blue, Blue Demon Vs. Dracula and El Hombre Lobo)
  • Chabelo y Pepito contra los monstruos (1973) (aka. Chabelo and Pepito against the Monsters)
  • Mini-Munsters, The (1973)
  • Boy Who Cried Werewolf, The (1973)
  • Beast Must Die, The (1974) (aka. Black Werewolf)
  • Blood (1974)
  • Deathhead Virgin, The (1974)
  • Scream of the Wolf (1974) (aka. Hunter)
  • Legend of the Werewolf (1975) (Cushing) (aka. Plague of the Werewolves)
  • The Werewolf and the Yeti (1975) (aka. La maldición de la bestia; The Curse of the Beast; Night of the Howling Beast; Hall of the Mountain King (cut version))
  • Alegres vampiras de Vogel, Las (1975) (aka. Vampires of Vogel)
  • The Werewolf of Woodstock (1975)
  • Nazareno Cruz y el lobo (1976) (aka. The Nazarene Cross and the Wolf)
  • Werewolf Woman (1976) (aka. La lupa mannara) [pd: Nightmare Worlds]
  • Providence (1977)
  • Halloween with the New Addams Family (1977) (aka. The All New Addams Family Halloween, Halloween with the Addams Family)
  • Darwaza (1978) (aka. Darawasa, Bandh Darwaza, Closed Door, The Door)
  • Death Moon (1978)
  • Coronel e o Lobisomem, O (1979) (aka. The Colonel and the Werewolf)
  • Wolfman (1979)
  • Monster Club, The (1980)
  • Full Moon High (1981) (aka. Moon High)
  • Howling, The (1981)
  • Munster's Revenge, The (1981)
  • Sogni d'oro (1981) (aka. Sweet Dreams)
  • An American Werewolf in London (1981)
  • The Night of the Werewolf (1981) (aka. El retorno del Hombre-Lobo; Return of the Wolfman; The Craving) Naschy
  • Wolfen (1981)
  • Buenas noches, señor monstruo (1982) (aka. Goodnight, Mr Monster)
  • Coming Soon (1982)
  • Beast Within, The (1982)
  • Bestia y la espada mágica, La (1983) (aka. The Werewolf / The Beast and the Magic Sword, La Bestia y los samurais)
  • Cazador de Demonios (1983) (aka. Demon Hunter)
  • Conquista, La (1983) (aka. Conquest, La Conquista de la tierra perdida)
  • Thriller (1983) (aka. Michael Jackson's Thriller)
  • Hard Rock Zombies (1984)
  • Kaos (1984) (aka. Chaos)
  • Leviatán (1984) (aka. Monster Dog)
  • Tales of the Third Dimension (1984)
  • Company of Wolves, The (1984)
  • Adventures of a Two-Minute Werewolf, The (1985)
  • Kyuketsuki Hunter D (1985) (aka. Vampire Hunter D, Banpaia hantâ D)
  • She (1985)
  • Ladyhawke (1985)
  • Teen Wolf (1985)
  • Howling II, The: Stirba - Werewolf ***** (1985) (aka. Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf, Stirba the Werewolf *****)
  • Silver Bullet (1985) (aka. Stephen King's Silver Bullet)
  • Midnight Hour, The (1985) (aka. In The Midnight Hour)
  • Transylvania 6-5000 (1985)
  • Haunted Honeymoon (1986)
  • A Canadian Werewolf in Hollywood (1987)
  • Aullido del diablo, El (1987) (aka. Howl of the Devil)
  • Croce dalle sette pietre, La (1987) (aka. Cross of the Seven Jewels, Talisman)
  • Deadtime Stories (1987) (aka. Freaky Fairytales)
  • Monster Squad, The (1987)
  • Howling III, The : The Marsupials (1987)
  • Teen Wolf Too (1987)
  • Curse of the Queerwolf (1988)
  • Hard Rock Nightmare (1988)
  • Howling IV, The : The Original Nightmare (1988)
  • Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf (1988)
  • Waxwork (1988)
  • Lone Wolf (1988)
  • Night of the Living Duck, The (1988)
  • The Werewolf of W (1988) (aka. Der Werewolf von W)
  • Howling V, The : The Rebirth (1989)
  • My Mom's A Werewolf (1989)
  • Night Shadow (1989)
  • Sex Bomb (1989)
  • Fright Night Part II (1989)
  • Red Riding Hood (1989) (aka. Cannon Movie Tales: Red Riding Hood)
  • Howling VI, The : The Freaks (1990)
  • Meridian (1990) (aka. Meridian: Kiss of the Beast)
  • Mom (1990)
  • Runestone, The (1990)
  • Curse of Claudia, The (1991)
  • Huntress : Spirit of the Night (1991) (aka. Spirit of the Night)
  • Wolfman Chronicles (1991) (aka. Wolfman : A Cinematic Scrapbook)
  • David "Rocky" Nelson's Video Shorts (1992) (aka. Werewolf vs Sodom Insane, Werewolf vs Dracula, Doctor Johnson Meets the Werewolf)
  • Mad at the Moon (1992)
  • Monster in my Pocket : The Big Scream (1992)
  • Donor Party (1993)
  • Plenilunio (1993)
  • Nightmare Before Christmas, The (1993)
  • Full Eclipse (1993)
  • Conrad Brooks vs. the Werewolf (1994)
  • Howling, The : New Moon Rising (1994) (aka. Howling VII: Mystery Woman)
  • Twisted Tales (1994)
  • Wolf (1994) (Jack Nicholson)
  • Monster Mash : The Movie (1995) (aka. Frankenstein Sings)
  • Project : Metalbeast (1995) (aka. Project : Metalbeast -- DNA Overlord)
  • Shriek of the Lycanthrope (1995)
  • Pistolero (1995)
  • Here Come the Munsters (1995)
  • Blood Slaves of the Vampire Werewolf (1996)
  • Frankenstein and Me (1996)
  • Licántropo: El asesino de la luna llena (1996) (aka. Lycantropus : The Moonlight Murders)
  • Werewolf (1996) (aka. Arizona Werewolf)
  • Wilderness (1996)
  • Bad Moon (1996)
  • Munsters Scary Little Christmas, The (1996)
  • Creeps, The (1997)
  • Tale Of The Urban Werewolf (1997)
  • An American Werewolf in Paris (1997)
  • Mortal Kombat : Annihiliation (1997) (aka. Mortal Kombat 2)
  • Cura del lupo mannaro, La (1998) (aka. The Wolfman's Cure)
  • Werewolf Reborn!, The (1998)
  • Blue Moon (1998)
  • Sieben Monde (1998) (aka. Nachts, Night Time)
  • Lycanthrophobia (1998)
  • Wolves of Kromer, The (1998)
  • Halloweentown (1998)
  • Cold Hearts (1999)
  • Curse, The (1999)
  • Eyes of the Werewolf (1999)
  • Monster By Moonlight! (1999) (aka. Monster By Moonlight! : The Immortal Saga of "The Wolf Man")
  • Rage of the Werewolf (1999) (aka. Planet of the Werewolves)
  • Wolf Man (1999)
  • Lycanthrope (1999) (aka. Bloody Moon)
  • Ginger Snaps (2000)
  • Vampire Hunter D (2000) (aka. Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust)
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolf Man (2000)
  • Monster Mash (2000) (aka. Monster Mash: It's a Graveyard Smash!)
  • Blood of the Werewolf (2001)
  • Miss Werewolf (2001)
  • Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) (aka. Le pacte des loups)
  • Choose Your Own Nightmare: Night of the Werewolf (2001) (aka. Multipath Adventures: Night of the Werewolf)
  • Wolf Girl (2001) (aka. Blood Moon)
  • Dog Soldiers (2002)
  • Lyckantropen (2002)
  • Wolves of Wall Street (2002)
  • Bites : The Werewolf Chronicles (2003)
  • Kibakichi Bakko Yokaiden (2003) (aka. Kibakichi)
  • Chimera (2003) (aka. The Werewolf Cult Chronicles Part I: Chimera)
  • DarkWolf (2003)
  • Underworld (2003)
  • Tenement, The (2003)
  • Weird Stories : Werewolves (2003)
  • Exhumed (2003)
  • Werewolf Tales (2003)
  • Big Fish (2003)
  • Werewolf Solution, The (2004)
  • Ginger Snaps : Unleashed (2004) (aka. Ginger Snaps 2, Ginger Snaps : The Sequel)
  • Tomb of the Werewolf (2004)
  • Van Helsing (2004)
  • Romasanta (2004) (aka. Werewolf Hunter, Romasanta : The Werewolf Hunt, Romasanta : La Caza de la bestia)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
  • Ginger Snaps Back : The Beginning (2004) (aka. Ginger Snaps 3, Ginger Snaps : The Prequel, Ginger Snaps : The Beginning)
  • Kibakichi Bakko Yokaiden 2 (2004) (aka. Kibakichi 2)
  • Tre volti del terrore, I (2004) (aka. The Three Faces of Terror)
  • Skin Walker (2004)
  • Halloweentown III : Halloweentown High (2004)
  • Evil Deeds (2004)
  • Lunar Pack, The (2004)
  • Curse of the Wolf (2004)
  • Lastikman (2004) (aka. Mars Ravelo's Lastikman : Unang banat)
  • Worst Horror Movie Ever Made, The (2005)
  • Khon Hon Khee Ruen Nai Khuen Duen Siaw (2005) (aka. Werewolf in Bangkok)
  • Lobisomem na Amazonia, Um (2005) (aka. A Werewolf in Amazonia)
  • Cursed (2005)
  • Wolfsbayne (2005)
  • Vietnam 1969 (2005) (aka. The Werewolf Cult Chronicles Part III: Vietnam 1969)
  • Monsters of the Purple Twilight (2005) (aka. The Werewolf Cult Chronicles Part II: Monsters of the Purple Twilight)
  • Brothers Grimm, The (2005)
  • Wild Country (2005)
  • Beast of Bray Road, The (2005)
  • Mexican Werewolf in Texas (2005)
  • Full Moon Fallen (2005)
  • An Erotic Werewolf In London (2006)
  • Full Moon Massacre (2006)
  • Horrors of War (2006)
  • Lycanthrope (2006)
  • Werewolf in a Women's Prison (2006)
  • Wolfika (2006)
  • Wolves (2006)
  • Underworld : Evolution (2006) (aka. Underworld 2)
  • Lycan Colony (2006)
  • In the Red (2006)
  • Feeding, The (2006)
  • Bloodz vs Wolvez (2006)
  • Totally Awesome (2006)
  • Blood and Chocolate (2007)
  • Hellboy Animated : Blood and Iron (2007)
  • Werewolf Women of the SS (2007)
  • Big Bad Wolf (2007)
  • Skinwalkers (2007)
  • Hybrid (2007)
  • Necroville (2007)
  • Cold-Blooded (2007)
  • Nature of the Beast (2007)
  • Lycanthropy (2007)
  • Werewolf : The Devil's Hound (2007)
  • Never Cry Werewolf (2008) (aka. The House Next Door)
  • Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, The (2008)
  • Trick 'r Treat (2008)
  • Animals (2008)
  • Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009)
  • Band from Hell, The (2009) (aka. Neowolf)
  • Timo Rose's Beast (2009)
  • Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009)
  • New Moon (2009) (aka. The Twilight Saga: New Moon)
  • Wolfman, The (2010)

Last edited:
Ah, the old lycanthrope genre. A favourite but as mentioned some are just horrid. As for non campy types my list would be starting at first on down would read;

The Wolfman (1941 Universal)

American Werewolf In London (1981?)

The Howling

Dog Soldiers

Others have come and gone were good B movie fun like Silver Bullet and Ginger Snaps. Some were more than painful to watch. Underworld was not bad but the third version was not my fave. Maybe something to do with not having Kate Beckinsale in it?:001_smile

Regards, Todd

As an aside I had to go see the remake of The Wolfman a few months ago at theatre. I had real reservations about Benecio Del Toro playing Lawrence Talbot and it was pretty much confirmed. The movie had all the creepy atmosphere of the old black and white Universal sets. It really seemed to project a vivid, nearly Gothic image of nineteenth century English countryside or at least a movie goer's idea of what it should be. Del Toro was just miscast. Don't get me wrong. He was in great physical condition with none of that hollowed out, sleepy eyed pyscho image he presents in a lot of his movies. I had read he was a big fan of the original movie and I think he poured out a lot of effort into the role. He just doesn't look like an English aristocrat. You can tell he even kept himself out of the sun for awhile to lighten his skin tone a bit to carry the look better. Ultimately it seemed a bit strained to me. Thankfully there were a lot of scenes where they eschewed the cgi for makeup and it helped carry the imagery. The supporting cast was superb but Sir Anthony Hopkins as Lord Talbot was mishandled in my opinion. I know the intent was not to make a line for line remake of the original but John Talbot was a sympathetic character in the original. Grieving emotionally for the loss of two sons. One to death, the other to family argument for nearly two decades. Now he is the progenitor of his sons demise? I just didn't like it or more to the point, didn't think it was a good plot climax. Hugo Weaving was pretty good as Abberline and these kinds of additions to classic movie remakes don't bother me too much. I mean, the whole story is fantasy anyway so why not a colourful supporting character? We have so few male actors who can pull this off anymore that when they do it well it really stands out. Weaving was very good. Overall the imagery was outstanding and good supporting cast makes it watchable but no one would ever mistake Del Toro for Lon Chaney jr. Give it a rent though, it is worth a look.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom