What's new

Luxury is for all

A little while back I had seen a post saying that you don’t need to spend a mint to get a good shave and I agree but I think apart of what I had been said wasn’t right “luxury is for schmucks” I don’t think that’s the case I shave this way for the luxury of it,don’t get me wrong iv spent some money on razors, blades,soaps, mugs and bowls. but I don’t think that if you don’t shave my way it’s the wrong way there are many ways to save money in shaving eg don’t buy extra razors or buy cheap soap exct but I think we would have a lot of unhappy people on this forum. If they used shower bar soap or they didn’t have the luxury of choosing a blade or brush or soaps if you wish to shave that way that’s fine if you choose to spend a $100,000 buying a fancy cart then by all means but I think that regardless of your manner of shaving or the amount you spend I don’t think we should be telling people they are wrong for what they choose to shave with or how they choose to this may come across very pc but I think this forum is a place of learning not judging but that’s my 2 cents I’d love to hear other opinions on this if anyone had seen the same post.

A little while back I had seen a post saying that you don’t need to spend a mint to get a good shave and I agree but I think apart of what I had been said wasn’t right “luxury is for schmucks” I don’t think that’s the case I shave this way for the luxury of it,don’t get me wrong iv spent some money on razors, blades,soaps, mugs and bowls. but I don’t think that if you don’t shave my way it’s the wrong way there are many ways to save money in shaving eg don’t buy extra razors or buy cheap soap exct but I think we would have a lot of unhappy people on this forum. If they used shower bar soap or they didn’t have the luxury of choosing a blade or brush or soaps if you wish to shave that way that’s fine if you choose to spend a $100,000 buying a fancy cart then by all means but I think that regardless of your manner of shaving or the amount you spend I don’t think we should be telling people they are wrong for what they choose to shave with or how they choose to this may come across very pc but I think this forum is a place of learning not judging but that’s my 2 cents I’d love to hear other opinions on this if anyone had seen the same post.

I pardon thy rash and ill-considered phrasings.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I don’t think we should be telling people they are wrong for what they choose to shave with or how they choose to this may come across very pc but I think this forum is a place of learning not judging but that’s my 2 cents I’d love to hear other opinions on this if anyone had seen the same post.
I think that was the conclusion that came out of the post last time. Some choice of words evoked some emotion, some of it strong, things got heated and then settled down. Water under the bridge.

Seems to me that luxury isn't necessarily a function of cost. I have one high-end razor, and several vintage razors that cost much less. A hurried shave with my ATT and an expensive soap in the morning when I'm running late for work isn't especially luxurious. On the other hand, a nice warm shower, followed by a relaxed and unhurried shave with my Gillette Tech and a decent, low-cost soap is (for me) the height of luxury. Seems to me that it's important to separate the idea of luxury from the relative cost of things.

Seems to me that luxury isn't necessarily a function of cost. I have one high-end razor, and several vintage razors that cost much less. A hurried shave with my ATT and an expensive soap in the morning when I'm running late for work isn't especially luxurious. On the other hand, a nice warm shower, followed by a relaxed and unhurried shave with my Gillette Tech and a decent, low-cost soap is (for me) the height of luxury. Seems to me that it's important to separate the idea of luxury from the relative cost of things.
I associate myself completely with brother Doc's philosophy of shaving and shaving paraphernalia.

James Joyce wrote stream-of-consciousness books.

I compleatly agree with that you don’t need to spend an arm and a leg for a great shave,my best shaver is a tech with a stick of arko that’s probably in my view the cheapest and best shave you can get, but I don’t think saying to someone if you don’t do it my way your wrong I don’t think that’s fair to anyone

So what are you trying to say?
In summary who is anyone to say they are wrong for the things they like no matter the cost you can get luxury from 20 dollar tech or 100,000 dollars cart thing ( yes there’s a fancy cart thing that’s 100k worth Im dumbfounded to who would buy one but hey each to there own )

In summary who is anyone to say they are wrong for the things they like no matter the cost you can get luxury from 20 dollar tech or 100,000 dollars cart thing ( yes there’s a fancy cart thing that’s 100k worth Im dumbfounded to who would buy one but hey each to there own )

The thread you're referring to, Omarz, was moved to the Clown House. It grew to 11 pages of posts in record time until it was finally locked when a moderator realized that the yammering, arguments and counter-arguments were simply degenerating into an endless quibble where no resolution was going to be found.

Thankfully, I didn't even post in the thread. If I may be frank, right now you seem to be reopening a discussion that will never reach a satisfactory conclusion. Don't worry about what other members think about your spending, or your choices. I don't think you're a "schmuck," and I'd venture to state that almost all of the other B&B members don't think you are, either. Life's too short to get hung up on another person's opinion. Shrug, and let it go.:001_smile

Don

We just returned from a week’s vacation. I got great shaves with a Lord L6, one GSB blade, an old stick of La Toja and my Wee Scot! Tough to get much better shaves or to save many $ compared to that ‘value’ kit! :a29:

tenor (7).gif

As for my 2 cents. As long as you have your technique perfected I doubt that there is a wrong way to shave. Luxury? Hmmmmm. Each of us has their own idea of what is luxury. Shaving with your finest pre-shave, soap, brush and razor, after shave that you only use on the weekend. It could also be a soak in the tub with a tub tray and mirror, a bowl of Tabac soap, your favorite brush and Gillette Slim razor and Astra blade and of coarse a cup of great coffee with maybe a dash of Sambuca. But with my arthritis the tub would have to be a walk in tub with power jets. There are many variations to what we call luxury and as the decades pass so does what we call, Luxury.

Oh. This again.

”The greatest luxury is being free.” Free to care. Free to not care. But know this, “Every luxury must be paid for, and everything is a luxury, starting with being in this world.”

So ha!

I compleatly agree with that you don’t need to spend an arm and a leg for a great shave,my best shaver is a tech with a stick of arko that’s probably in my view the cheapest and best shave you can get, but I don’t think saying to someone if you don’t do it my way your wrong I don’t think that’s fair to anyone
Agreed, and that's exactly what I was trying to say in my own philosophical way. My apologies if it came across differently.

I think that was the conclusion that came out of the post last time. Some choice of words evoked some emotion, some of it strong, things got heated and then settled down. Water under the bridge.
And honestly it may have been settled but it’s just stuck In my Mindanao I k
Agreed, and that's exactly what I was trying to say in my own philosophical way. My apologies if it came across differently.
no it didn’t I know what you meant no need to apologise

By $100,000 carts.....is that a cartridge razor or a shopping cart totaling $100,000 of shaving gear?

Top Bottom