What's new

Lutz Slant

A while back when the Ikon X3 first came out, it was pointed out by people that knew vintage razors that the X3 was a modern clone of the Lutz slant. It was also mentioned that the X3 was tamed down so much that is did not come close to the shave of a Lutz. Since then I have been lusting for a Lutz but did not find one in reasonable condition or price. Suddenly a seller appeared on eBay that had a bunch of NOS Lutz razors and blades and so I jumped on one immediately.

When it arrived, I noticed it was wrapped in tissue paper and so there was a light coat of tarnish on it, but it was in otherwise great condition. First thing I did was to compare it with the X3. Both had thin caps, but the X3 baseplate was thicker and the safety bar was bigger and rounder. In addition, the top cap and base plate on the X3 was longer, but this was primarily so the ends would cover the blade.

Both base plates had the same number of grooves on the safety bar - 15 on one side and 10 on the other side. @efsk had explained to me a while back that this made it a differential slant where one side (the one with the 10 grooves) was supposed to shave more aggressive than the other side. He was also the one to tell me that the Ikon tamed the razor so much that there was hardly a difference between the two sides. Of course, I did my O ring trick and got one side to shave more aggressively, but I still did not know it I duplicated the shave of the Lutz.

So tonight, I loaded the Lutz to take it for a test shave. First pass was WTG, and I used the aggressive side. Immediately, I knew this was not the X3. The Lutz cleared out one side of my face very efficiently and comfortably. I could feel the blade more than I could with the X3, but it wasn't irritating. After the first pass, I was seriously thinking if I should do a full second pass or just touch up. The Lutz was that efficient. In the end, I decided to do a full ATG pass just to see what kind of shave the mild side could give. The mild side felt like the original X3. It was efficient, but very tame compared to the aggressive side.

One thing I noticed during touch up was that the aggressive side going XTG could sometimes have the edge of the blade protrude more than normal. I think it is because there is a bigger gap on the aggressive side and the safety bar is slimmer (and thinner) than the X3.

Overall a great shave and slightly more efficient that my O ring pimped X3, however the X3 is definitely more refined. Anyone thinking that the X3 is too mild of a slant but like the way it shaves should definitely get one of the Lutz Slants before they are gone.

DSC01686.JPG
DSC01687.JPG
DSC01688.JPG
DSC01689.JPG

I asked this before but are you using the o ring between the baseplate and handle like a washer? I can't see how that does anything to change the shape, exposure, or gap of the blade?

I asked this before but are you using the o ring between the baseplate and handle like a washer? I can't see how that does anything to change the shape, exposure, or gap of the blade?
Yes, it goes between the bottom of the base plate and the handle. Another member introduced the idea to me mainly because he wanted to use it like a washer to protect the base plate. What it does is puts enough pressure between the base plate and the top cap to ensure that the blade stays in place, but is able to adjust the distance between the top cap and base plate enough to get some adjustment. Gillette proposed doing that in their early razors as a way of getting a more aggressive shave - just loosen the handle a little. The O ring prevents you from loosening it too much where the head may move in ways you don't want. Easiest way to demonstrate this is to go to your local hardware store and go to the plumbing and fixtures section and ask for 5mm O rings. They are about 30 cents each and so would not require a car payment to get. I like it over cutting a used blade as a shim because it is infinitely adjustable and does not require loading two (or more) blades at a time.

I've a Swiss diagonal that works on the same principle. In the grip, where the centerscrew goes in, there's a cap fastened on a spring. This allows you to adjust pressure and thus bladegap: adjustable diagonal :) As the diagonal angle is also three-way adjustable, this razor is adjustable in two dimensions. Never seen that anywhere else.

Yes, it goes between the bottom of the base plate and the handle. Another member introduced the idea to me mainly because he wanted to use it like a washer to protect the base plate. What it does is puts enough pressure between the base plate and the top cap to ensure that the blade stays in place, but is able to adjust the distance between the top cap and base plate enough to get some adjustment. Gillette proposed doing that in their early razors as a way of getting a more aggressive shave - just loosen the handle a little. The O ring prevents you from loosening it too much where the head may move in ways you don't want. Easiest way to demonstrate this is to go to your local hardware store and go to the plumbing and fixtures section and ask for 5mm O rings. They are about 30 cents each and so would not require a car payment to get. I like it over cutting a used blade as a shim because it is infinitely adjustable and does not require loading two (or more) blades at a time.

tried this after the first time i saw your post (thought I had missed something) and respectfully disagree. With the X3, I found a negligible change when you back off the handle a 1/2-3/4 turn with or without an o-ring. More to the point, I didn't find that the o-ring did anything to stabilize the head as you back the handle off. Just my 2 cents.

Also surprised you found a difference with gap on each side of the Lutz. Like the X3 I would think it is cosmetic more than anything.

Get a Lutz and check it out. Still a bunch on eBay and the price dropped to less than what I got mine for. If you appreciate slants, you will not be disappointed.

Also surprised you found a difference with gap on each side of the Lutz. Like the X3 I would think it is cosmetic more than anything.
This is my biggest disappointment with the X3: there is no differential aggression, whereas the Lutz, and many other razors with the same head, actually show how great that can be.

I totally agree with the description of the difference between the Lutz and the X3. The X3 is a smooth saver without spirit. The Lutz therefore is a effective razor with great difference between the both sides as written.

Top Bottom