What's new

Lupo vs Wolfman, head to head

Second shave with Wolfman .94 on left side and Lupo .95 on the right. Lather today was a little wetter and started on the left side first as I did yesterday. Smooth and just a slight weeper around the chin. Everything felt great! Lupo side felt slightly smoother. Avoided the area of the cut on my neck from yesterday.

My shaving routine is 1st pass WTG. 2nd pass is XTG on my face, but ATG on my neck.

Post shave feel is pretty darn close to being identical! Rubbing my face ATG now an hour after the shave, I’m feeling less stubble on the left side than the right so that might be down to face mapping.

So 2 days so far and I haven’t been cut yet by the Lupo where I got bit hard yesterday on my neck with the Wolfman, and a slight weeper on my chin today. Both razors feel great but somehow the Lupo actually feels more nimble, maybe because of the cutout of the top cap? So far so good and it’s actually making me surprised the Lupo is doing this well, punching up far above its price point.

Not much difference to be honest, maybe slightly more blade feel. Once I get my 1.00 / .94 WR1 OC DC it will be interesting to see the differences between them.
Ok, that's pretty surprising. From what I had read about the .94 OC WR1 razor, I would have expected there to be a significant difference in blade feel (with the Wolfman's blade feel being noticeably higher...)

Will the 1.0 gap be an OC as well?
That's the highest gap a WR1 is offered with, isn’t it?

Last edited:
Ok, that's pretty surprising. From what I had read about the .94 OC WR1 razor, I would have expected there to be a significant difference in blade feel (with the Wolfman's blade feel being noticeably higher...)

Will the 1.0 gap be an OC as well?
That's the highest gap a WR1 is offered with, isn’t it?
Yeah the 1.00 is the highest they offer as far as I know. Yes mine will be OC. I should email Tara and ask if they would do a higher gap than 1.00. I’d want to push the envelope and get a 1.15 but not sure they’d do it.

Cbs 90S Tv GIF by Paramount+

@Shave Souffle Email Tara and push for the WR1 1.15!!

Last week I did the third shave with the Lupo on the left and the Wolfman .86 on the right. Uneventful save for small weeper from Lupo on the left and finally no weepers from the Wolfman. Still more blade feel from the Wolfman but seemed less efficient than the .94 from earlier in the week. Side by side the Lupo was close to BBS with the same amount of strokes.

Well I didn’t know if the 1.15 would be too much so I backed it off a bit but she said James would do it. I decided 1.10OC/1.05OC brushed SS and brushed SS Darwin handle. Paid for it a week ago so maybe another week or so. Can’t wait.
Congrats!
Looking forward to reading your thoughts! 👍

I wanted to give a shout out to both gentlemen for doing some great side by side reviews. @kingfisher, your approach is one of the best I have seen! Also, I will check out that soap. Love small artisans. They are low on inventory, but I may have to check out your scent!

I have a good question….if I were to build a quality clone using the Lupo cap and baseplate, what handle would people suggest? Wolfman, timeless?

I wanted to give a shout out to both gentlemen for doing some great side by side reviews. @kingfisher, your approach is one of the best I have seen! Also, I will check out that soap. Love small artisans. They are low on inventory, but I may have to check out your scent!

I have a good question….if I were to build a quality clone using the Lupo cap and baseplate, what handle would people suggest? Wolfman, timeless?
If you buy the complete Lupo razor from Italian Barber, I would upgrade the $5 for the titanium halo handle. I would also add the 40g RazoRock Vintage THIN Bar Handle to the order. I use the titanium handle but others swear by the Thin Bar handle. The main point is a light handle -- the light handle levels up the Lupo. Currently, I've been using the .58 SB plate and I've been awestruck by how nice and close the shaves have been.

If you buy the complete Lupo razor from Italian Barber, I would upgrade the $5 for the titanium halo handle. I would also add the 40g RazoRock Vintage THIN Bar Handle to the order. I use the titanium handle but others swear by the Thin Bar handle. The main point is a light handle -- the light handle levels up the Lupo. Currently, I've been using the .58 SB plate and I've been awestruck by how nice and close the shaves have been.
Thanks NotBlooming! I will do that. I was thinking of getting a higher end handle but I love the halo and will look at the other. I have a Gamechanger.84 so will likely go to the Lupo.95. I like higher blade feel. Thank you sir!

Well looking at photo of both the Wolfman products, and RazoRock products. Finish and bling goes to the Wolfman, RazoRock say they are like tools, and not super fine finished tools.

I think it comes down to personal choice, and mon ey to open d factor. Would rather drive around town in a Porsche, verses Toyota Corolla. both will get you from point A to B, but the Porsche will get more people looking at your super car.

Well looking at photo of both the Wolfman products, and RazoRock products. Finish and bling goes to the Wolfman, RazoRock say they are like tools, and not super fine finished tools.

I think it comes down to personal choice, and mon ey to open d factor. Would rather drive around town in a Porsche, verses Toyota Corolla. both will get you from point A to B, but the Porsche will get more people looking at your super car.
Well said. And all true points.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks NotBlooming! I will do that. I was thinking of getting a higher end handle but I love the halo and will look at the other. I have a Gamechanger.84 so will likely go to the Lupo.95. I like higher blade feel. Thank you sir!
I am a big fan of the Timeless Ti Crown handle. They are about an ounce lighter than the stainless steel handles they replaced. That does change the balance point of the razor toward the razor head. I like that but I doubt everyone does. I have 6 Ti Crown handles now: 3 polished, 3 matte. That shows you how much I like them. If you get one, I’d love to read your impressions.

I also like their razor stands but then, I have room on the bathroom vanity top for my top 6 razors and keep them all loaded with blades, ready to go on a whim.

Top Bottom