What's new

Lupo vs Wolfman, head to head

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I actually would be a buyer for a Lupo DC with both sides at .95 (SB + OC).
I hear you. Yaqi made a clone head called duo, available in .90 and 1.05 gap with equal gap on both sides. It is very much like the Lupo .95, but the blade has a bit more exposure, not just more gap. So the .90 Duo is probably closer.
These two deliver for me, and I really need nothing else - but I have never tried a slant and am tempted by the new Super Slant, but that is a different topic...
I am looking forward to the Superslant to show up in Europe. I very much like my Wunderbar, but would Luke to see if the Superslant give a bit more feedback before biting and works with my preferred angle, rather steep than riding the cap.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Available through Rasoigoodfellas. In all aggression levels.
Did this get added yesterday or today, I didn't see it on Wednesday or Thursday IIRC. Thank you!
Uh... not so nice price, but well.

Edit: Just ordered one. There are three Rasoigoodfella sites, .de, .it and .eu. I could order it from .eu, so far I either ordered from .it (which no longer is possible) or .de (as .eu didn't work up to now for me) and...

... let me shorten this, it didn't like my phone number, it got treated as first time order, so no Scalapay offer, but at least I could delay payment by 30 days in Paypal.

And yeah, 159,xx EUR. Baseplates are available, but no caps. And no idea of if the Wunderbar cap fits.

Last edited:
Did this get added yesterday or today, I didn't see it on Wednesday or Thursday IIRC. Thank you!
Uh... not so nice price, but well.

Edit: Just ordered one. There are three Rasoigoodfella sites, .de, .it and .eu. I could order it from .eu, so far I either ordered from .it (which no longer is possible) or .de (as .eu didn't work up to now for me) and...

... let me shorten this, it didn't like my phone number, it got treated as first time order, so no Scalapay offer, but at least I could delay payment by 30 days in Paypal.

And yeah, 159,xx EUR. Baseplates are available, but no caps. And no idea of if the Wunderbar cap fits.
No idea when they added it. I believe yesterday or the day before. Remember spotting them and then saw your post which brought it back to memory.

Yep - saw that price too and didn’t want to put you off straight away 😅

I only knew the .eu great site and service so far.

Which level did you get? Looking forward to your first shave review.

Cheers,

Guido

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I only knew the .eu great site and service so far.

Which level did you get? Looking forward to your first shave review.
I had great service from the Italian site, the German site worked also wonderfully, but didn't contact them except once and there was an issue that they had something (I think it was a Styletto version) I wanted that was only available in .IT and .EU, but not for their DE shop. Ordering from Italy didn't work, and the .EU site explicitly excluded Germany, as it has already a shop, right, riiiiiiight?! :)

Bacon emote for you, as I haven't figured out a good use for it yet. Enjoy, I like bacon.

Well, today I could order from the. EU site. All good. :)
My wife doesn't know, but my wallet does! It hurts.

I hope our parents and grandparents send us a bit more money instead of "meaningful presents"! :)

Running out of blades of various types and the Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum wasn't my favorite for the Wunderbar, where the Feather really did nicely.

Edit: Sorry for derailing the thread...

Last edited:
Shave number 4, the final shave in the throwdown, is over. I decided to shave a little earlier, and after a late shower.

I had a tiny bit of Dr Jon's Savannah Sunrise left, so I lathered it up and started the shave. For those keeping track, for today I started with the Wolfman on the left and used the Lupo on the right. I kept the same blades and handles like used for shave three.

The first pass on the left, with the Wolfman, was somewhat surprisingly smooth. Maybe I used a better angle or am shaving with it better after several shaves in a row with it, or maybe I am just getting accustomed to the amount of blade feel after repeated shaves, but it seemed like the blade feel was a bit less today. The Lupo was similarly smooth on the right.

After a comfy first pass, I felt to see if there was any difference. I couldn't really find any, so I lathered up for the second pass. It also went very well. Curiously it seemed like there was slightly more blade feel from the Lupo on this pass, but neither side felt even remotely threatening.

After the two passes and a tiny bit of touch-up, both sides were equivalent except for a very small area on the Lupo side near the lips that had some residual stubble. A quick pass in that one area had the entire face and neck smooth and comfy.

I put on some mentholated Atomic Peach aftershave. I had no discernible irritation on either side today. Just a smooth, comfortable shave.

I guess the Wolfman was a slight winner today due to the small area that required a tiny bit of touch-up on the Lupo side, but again the differences were minor.

Both razors are sports cars, not luxury vehicles. They are quick, nimble, and easy to use in tight spots. The Wolfman is clearly more carefully made and polished. Tolerances seem smaller. Even with the basic polish it looks almost like a mirror. There is a certain pride of ownership that goes with the razor that makes you feel like you are getting the best possible shave from the best possible razor.

On the other hand, from a design/style point of view, I actually kind of prefer the looks of the Lupo, with its tapered corners and four lather holes rather than one long one as seen on the Wolfman. In theory, at least, you could get closer right under the nose because of the tapered corners. The other difference is that the Lupo covers the blade tabs entirely, but the Wolfman does not.

I remember that when Razorock first put out them aluminum Lupo, they essentially said that they had improved upon the Wolfman. Do I think they actually succeeded in making a better Wolfman? No. But on the other hand I don't really think there is a hill of beans difference (when lt comes to actually shaving) between the Wolfman WR-1 and the Lupo. So I think they essentially succeeded in creating a cheaper version of the Wolfman WR-1. (Please note that none of this has anything to do with the WR-2, which appears to be the more popular of the Wolfman models.)

But, at this point I am convinced that anybody out there who was interested in the WR-1 and dismayed that they couldn't afford it, could experience the same shave by purchasing a Lupo instead.

Thanks for your patience in reading such a long post. I hope this series of posts has been helpful for somebody.

lasta

Blade Biter
Shave number 4, the final shave in the throwdown, is over. I decided to shave a little earlier, and after a late shower.

I had a tiny bit of Dr Jon's Savannah Sunrise left, so I lathered it up and started the shave. For those keeping track, for today I started with the Wolfman on the left and used the Lupo on the right. I kept the same blades and handles like used for shave three.

The first pass on the left, with the Wolfman, was somewhat surprisingly smooth. Maybe I used a better angle or am shaving with it better after several shaves in a row with it, or maybe I am just getting accustomed to the amount of blade feel after repeated shaves, but it seemed like the blade feel was a bit less today. The Lupo was similarly smooth on the right.

After a comfy first pass, I felt to see if there was any difference. I couldn't really find any, so I lathered up for the second pass. It also went very well. Curiously it seemed like there was slightly more blade feel from the Lupo on this pass, but neither side felt even remotely threatening.

After the two passes and a tiny bit of touch-up, both sides were equivalent except for a very small area on the Lupo side near the lips that had some residual stubble. A quick pass in that one area had the entire face and neck smooth and comfy.

I put on some mentholated Atomic Peach aftershave. I had no discernible irritation on either side today. Just a smooth, comfortable shave.

I guess the Wolfman was a slight winner today due to the small area that required a tiny bit of touch-up on the Lupo side, but again the differences were minor.

Both razors are sports cars, not luxury vehicles. They are quick, nimble, and easy to use in tight spots. The Wolfman is clearly more carefully made and polished. Tolerances seem smaller. Even with the basic polish it looks almost like a mirror. There is a certain pride of ownership that goes with the razor that makes you feel like you are getting the best possible shave from the best possible razor.

On the other hand, from a design/style point of view, I actually kind of prefer the looks of the Lupo, with its tapered corners and four lather holes rather than one long one as seen on the Wolfman. In theory, at least, you could get closer right under the nose because of the tapered corners. The other difference is that the Lupo covers the blade tabs entirely, but the Wolfman does not.

I remember that when Razorock first put out them aluminum Lupo, they essentially said that they had improved upon the Wolfman. Do I think they actually succeeded in making a better Wolfman? No. But on the other hand I don't really think there is a hill of beans difference (when lt comes to actually shaving) between the Wolfman WR-1 and the Lupo. So I think they essentially succeeded in creating a cheaper version of the Wolfman WR-1. (Please note that none of this has anything to do with the WR-2, which appears to be the more popular of the Wolfman models.)

But, at this point I am convinced that anybody out there who was interested in the WR-1 and dismayed that they couldn't afford it, could experience the same shave by purchasing a Lupo instead.

Thanks for your patience in reading such a long post. I hope this series of posts has been helpful for somebody.
Thank you for taking one for the team, and being objective while at it!

Confirmation bias runs strong in our hobby, and I'm not immune myself.

If someone says they have a $500 razor that's decidedly smoother than a Tech, I will throw my filled blade bank at them!

lasta

Blade Biter
Doug @Rosseforp did an excellent comparison of the Flat Bottom Tech and the WR2.

And came to a similar conclusion as Kingfisher for the WR1 - the actual shave is a really really close call between the WR2 and the Tech. And obviously the best way to know is to get them both!

Guido
Phew, I'm relieved.

Was just zooming around LA in Google earth trying to find overwatered front lawns...

Doug @Rosseforp did an excellent comparison of the Flat Bottom Tech and the WR2.

And came to a similar conclusion as Kingfisher for the WR1 - the actual shave is a really really close call between the WR2 and the Tech. And obviously the best way to know is to get them both!

Guido
That gives me something to go read thanks...

But isn't the point, with the WR2 anyway, that you get a more efficient razor for the same level of smoothness of supposedly lesser razors? I certainly get a closer shave with my Blackbird without any more impact than using my Hensons.

lasta

Blade Biter
That gives me something to go read thanks...

But isn't the point, with the WR2 anyway, that you get a more efficient razor for the same level of smoothness of supposedly lesser razors? I certainly get a closer shave with my Blackbird without any more impact than using my Hensons.
Where do you live?:c8:

From the vegetation and landscape, I'm guessing sub-sahara Africa?

Beautiful BTW! I miss the wilds. All I get to see nowadays are steel and concrete.
mmexport1670706002245.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

@kingfisher , thanks so much for taking the time to do this review. I don't see a Wolfman in my future but who knows? A few of us are going to be testing the Lupo out with the higher gap base plates. We'll all be using the 72SB and OC and the 95SB and OC. They'll all be in stock in just a few days... the 72OC will be released as they restock all their base plates. Their customer care team is great at answering emails.

Great summary!! No losers here!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Thank you for taking one for the team, and being objective while at it!

Confirmation bias runs strong in our hobby, and I'm not immune myself.

If someone says they have a $500 razor that's decidedly smoother than a Tech, I will throw my filled blade bank at them!
I agree with your “confirmation bias” statement and that the OP is a good review. It is natural to feel the need to continue to justify indulgences that simply didn't deliver for the price, or convince yourself that what you bought for less instead is just as good. I’m a bang for the buck, function over form guy. This may get a bunch of blade banks thrown at me too, but if there isn’t much difference between the shave of $65 razor (Lupo) and a $500 razor (Wolfman) and the only thing my extra $435 buys is sparkle factor instead of exponentially increased performance, I’m a Lupo + 12 vintage Gillettes for the same cash guy. If you can easily afford or justify a Wolfman, I applaud you and I’m genuinely happy to see this level of craftsmanship and precision supported in the market. They are truly beautiful works of art, just completely out of my meager budget for a single razor. If I were in a higher (much) income bracket ownership would be tempting.

Top Bottom