What's new

Lupo stainless?

Lupo Shave-Off #2: the right side of my face has less stubble than the left side, approx 12 hours after my morning shave. Looks like the 72 does indeed give me a closer, longer lasting shave.

But SCIENCE! I have prepped my Lupos, 72 and 95, with identical Star handles, and Personna Blue blades. One razor is marked with a ring of tape on the handle, and I will use that one on the left side of my face for a few days. It will be a blind test, I don't know which one was taped. The engraving on the baseplate is very small so I doubt I'll accidentally see what it is. I'll run this shave test for a few days and see how I feel about the shaves and try to guess which razor is on what side.
20210711_185124.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Lupo Shave-Off #2: the right side of my face has less stubble than the left side, approx 12 hours after my morning shave. Looks like the 72 does indeed give me a closer, longer lasting shave.

But SCIENCE! I have prepped my Lupos, 72 and 95, with identical Star handles, and Personna Blue blades. One razor is marked with a ring of tape on the handle, and I will use that one on the left side of my face for a few days. It will be a blind test, I don't know which one was taped. The engraving on the baseplate is very small so I doubt I'll accidentally see what it is. I'll run this shave test for a few days and see how I feel about the shaves and try to guess which razor is on what side.

Kudos for the Star handles & for science.

Interesting experiment.

Today I'm using my Lupo 72 SB for the first time.

I'm not being scientific, but yesterday morning I couldn't tell much difference between the 95 side and the 72 OC side of the DC baseplate. Perhaps the 95 side felt a tad smoother during the shave. Perhaps. The result in terms of closeness and durability was the same judging by my whiskers this morning and yesterday afternoon.

Happy shave,

Jim

I was rushed this morning, hit the snooze button, lol. But I did so my blind shave-off, but really didn't take my time to evaluate how each side felt.

But SCIENCE! I have prepped my Lupos, 72 and 95, with identical Star handles, and Personna Blue blades. One razor is marked with a ring of tape on the handle, and I will use that one on the left side of my face for a few days. It will be a blind test, I don't know which one was taped. The engraving on the baseplate is very small so I doubt I'll accidentally see what it is. I'll run this shave test for a few days and see how I feel about the shaves and try to guess which razor is on what side. View attachment 1295327
Absolutely awesome experiment! Awesome! Kudos!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
After a few more uses, I am revising what I wrote before. For me, the Lupo 72 gives a little closer shave than the GC 84 SB.

Efficiency: Lupo 95 > Lupo 72 > GC 84

Comfort: GC 84 > Lupo 95 > Lupo 72
I would say your upgrade opinion seems more accurate, the Lupo .72 has a little more blade exposure than the RR GC .84 IMO.
I have both razors also, I will admit the GC.84 with a Kai SS extra wide blade makes it a great shaver and good results with reasonable smoothness.

Lupo shave-off #4: It's very hard to tell the two apart, even shaving side by side. Comfort/smoothness are pretty darned close to each other. I'd say that anyone on the fence over which one to get would probably be happy with either the 72 or 95.
My personal observations so far in my first two shave-offs show the 72's shave lasts a bit longer than the 95. The blind tests (today being the second) I'll post my findings after a few more days, and then reveal what razor was on which side.

NOTE:
I'm one of those "unlucky" people with whiskers that grow out nearly parallel to my skin. Due to that "problem" some steep anglers go "shallow" when they shave ATG. IMO going shallow is never the answer; I simply go a-little-less steep.
I have this dreaded problem too and it is the number 1 source of frustration to me! I have sensitive skin as well so overly efficient razor are rough as well. I am curious do you have normal or sensitive skin? What razor / blade combos can you use to get BBS? I've had the most difficult time trying to find a combo that will work. Smoother dull blades have a hard time cutting hair that is flat on my face with out digging into the skin and causing weepers and pain while Feathers are harsh. HELP!

I have this dreaded problem too and it is the number 1 source of frustration to me! I have sensitive skin as well so overly efficient razor are rough as well. I am curious do you have normal or sensitive skin? What razor / blade combos can you use to get BBS? I've had the most difficult time trying to find a combo that will work. Smoother dull blades have a hard time cutting hair that is flat on my face with out digging into the skin and causing weepers and pain while Feathers are harsh. HELP!
Have you tried a perma sharp blade? Sharp and smooth.
Pre shave oil can help with the skin, but might make the beard more difficult to cut. For me it works better after a shower.
You might also consider a razor without positive blade exposure. I like adjustables like the Rex ambassador and tatara.
Tatara masamune with nodachi base plate is a good choice.
Karve with c plate is also good

I have decided to end my shave-off. Seems both razors are pretty darned close, almost (to me) of being indistinguishable. Or, close enough for government work, lol.
And the 72 was the left razor and the 95 the right.
Looking back at my results, the 72 can be judged to give me a slightly longer lasting shave. YMMV, of course, but I can recommend either version to anyone who is unsure of which Lupo to get.

I have decided to end my shave-off. Seems both razors are pretty darned close, almost (to me) of being indistinguishable. Or, close enough for government work, lol.
Looking back at my results, the 72 can be judged to give me a slightly longer lasting shave. YMMV, of course, but I can recommend either version to anyone who is unsure of which Lupo to get.

Just saved me from thinking about getting the .95! Very satisfied with my .72 and looks like I don't need it.

Ron R

I have the Lupo.72 and it works very well and my shave lasts usually longer than some (40+)razors that also give a nice close shave. I think with experience we seem to compensate for blade feel with the amount of pressure if any IMO.
Thanks for the shave off between the Lupo .72 & .95 because we all learn something, at least I do.

I doubt that I'm normal, but I do have normal skin (I think). :letterk1:

I find that any blade I like performs just fine in ANY of my razors (and like most round here, I have too many). Most of my shaves are BBS, which I put down to THE LATHER (slick 'n' thin being my preference).

Remember, a great lather and once the blade contacts... virtually NO PRESSURE. (IMO of course.)

I doubt that I'm normal, but I do have normal skin (I think). :letterk1:

I find that any blade I like performs just fine in ANY of my razors (and like most round here, I have too many). Most of my shaves are BBS, which I put down to THE LATHER (slick 'n' thin being my preference).

Remember, a great lather and once the blade contacts... virtually NO PRESSURE. (IMO of course.)
My experience tells me the same, the lather is the single most important part of the shave. You can adjust a razors angle, use less or more pressure or angle of attack for the blade, but the lather is either good or it's not.

Ron R

DE SOTD, July 20th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo .72, excellent mid range razor, carefree shave this morning , well designed, joy to use.
Blade: Gillette 7oClock SP, Sharp & smoooth with reasonable longevity for a DE.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Moka express 24mm synthetic, Excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber, great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso green with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:excellent shave with my RR Lupo .72+ Gillette 7oClock SP.
Sunday Schick shave July 20th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom