What's new

Lupo stainless?

I have been using the Lupo 72, Lupo 95, and Game Changer .84 SB this last week or so. All are the safety bar versions. I have used the same blade, soap, and brush to keep it as consistent as possible. With the exception of today, I have used only one razor each day, which means my exact memory of each one is a little fuzzier than if I had alternated razors on the same day. But even if I did that, the two sides of my face are different, and I would have to alternate which razor on which side on different days, so the results would have been similar. In any case, my overall impressions are:

Comfort - GC 84 > Lupo 95 > Lupo 72

Closeness/efficiency - Lupo 95 > GC 84 = Lupo 72

I did not find much difference between the GC 84 and the Lupo 72 in terms of efficiency. Ask me one day and I will say one is better. Ask me another day and I may say the other is more efficient. But the Lupo has a little more blade feel.

The interesting thing, and a few others here have also observed this, is that I found the Lupo 95 to be more comfortable than the Lupo 72, and more efficient. So I would choose the 95 over the 72. The 95 is surprisingly comfortable given how efficient it is.

My history: I started using a DE in 2014. My first razor was a Merkur Progress. After using it for a few months, I started using a Slim Adjustable. The Slim was my daily driver until relatively recently, usually set at 5. Every now and then I would use the Progress. I also used the Fatboy, Superadjustable, post-war Tech, New short comb, but kept going back to the Slim.

Then some months back the results started degrading. The closeness was not there. Maybe my beard is changing - I don't know why the results would change otherwise when I am using the same razor. I started increasing the setting of the Slim, to 7 and sometimes 8. I got a FOCS after reading all the glorious reports, but that was a disaster. I found it very uncomfortable, and not very efficient. The next stop was the GC .84 SB. Much better! And most recently the Lupo. I still use the Progress from time to time. Before the Lupo 95 the Progress gave the closest shaves of any razor I had tried. The issue is the handle - if it were better I would use the Progress more. Now I would have to do a shave-off between the Lupo 95 and the Progress to decide which gives closer shaves.

I have been using the Lupo 72, Lupo 95, and Game Changer .84 SB this last week or so. All are the safety bar versions. I have used the same blade, soap, and brush to keep it as consistent as possible. With the exception of today, I have used only one razor each day, which means my exact memory of each one is a little fuzzier than if I had alternated razors on the same day. But even if I did that, the two sides of my face are different, and I would have to alternate which razor on which side on different days, so the results would have been similar. In any case, my overall impressions are:

Comfort - GC 84 > Lupo 95 > Lupo 72

Closeness/efficiency - Lupo 95 > GC 84 = Lupo 72

I did not find much difference between the GC 84 and the Lupo 72 in terms of efficiency. Ask me one day and I will say one is better. Ask me another day and I may say the other is more efficient. But the Lupo has a little more blade feel.

The interesting thing, and a few others here have also observed this, is that I found the Lupo 95 to be more comfortable than the Lupo 72, and more efficient. So I would choose the 95 over the 72. The 95 is surprisingly comfortable given how efficient it is.

My history: I started using a DE in 2014. My first razor was a Merkur Progress. After using it for a few months, I started using a Slim Adjustable. The Slim was my daily driver until relatively recently, usually set at 5. Every now and then I would use the Progress. I also used the Fatboy, Superadjustable, post-war Tech, New short comb, but kept going back to the Slim.

Then some months back the results started degrading. The closeness was not there. Maybe my beard is changing - I don't know why the results would change otherwise when I am using the same razor. I started increasing the setting of the Slim, to 7 and sometimes 8. I got a FOCS after reading all the glorious reports, but that was a disaster. I found it very uncomfortable, and not very efficient. The next stop was the GC .84 SB. Much better! And most recently the Lupo. I still use the Progress from time to time. Before the Lupo 95 the Progress gave the closest shaves of any razor I had tried. The issue is the handle - if it were better I would use the Progress more. Now I would have to do a shave-off between the Lupo 95 and the Progress to decide which gives closer shaves.
How is it possible lupo 95 be more comfortable than lupo 72 while it has less blade feel?

Forgot to mention in my history that I have also used several different Super Speeds. The ones I have used have exhibited noticeable differences. For example my 1958 TV Special works well, while a ~1949 is much more aggressive, with more blade feel than any razor I have. The Lupo 95 is tame compared with that particular SS (as are the GC and Lupo 72). The Slim set at 5 is more comfortable than the GC and Lupo.

Forgot to mention in my history that I have also used several different Super Speeds. The ones I have used have exhibited noticeable differences. For example my 1958 TV Special works well, while a ~1949 is much more aggressive, with more blade feel than any razor I have. The Lupo 95 is tame compared with that particular SS (as are the GC and Lupo 72). The Slim set at 5 is more comfortable than the GC and Lupo.
That's why I prefer 2 or 3 parts razors. Their geometry is unchanged and more difficult something to bend. I stopped using all butterfly Gillette razors. Try the Gillette old type.

How is it possible lupo 95 be more comfortable than lupo 72 while it has less blade feel?

I found the same. The 95 is more comfortable than the 72 for me as well. The 72 irritated my skin a little for some reason. No issues at all with the 95....super comfortable and efficient.

Lupo 0.72 vs 0.95, Astra blade loaded.
Blade exposure is more or less the same.

1624037704190.png

Lupo 0.72
1624037743457.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I thought this would be a great picture for folks who want to see the Blade reveal on the Razorock 2nd Gen Lupo .72.
He mentioned he was getting the Razorock Lupo .95 base plate and would also take some pictures in the future.
Courtesy pictures of @Dovo1695

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited: Yesterday at 11:32 AM
Nick | BOSC
Have some great shaves!

So from your photo it would seem the .95 has a shallower blade angle, which could explain the perceived extra smoothness.
Going against the grain will probably be smoother with the 0.95 gap lupo because of the more shallow shaving angle.
I think the 0.95 is a better choice for me. You can compensate for the extra gap by using less pressure.

Going against the grain will probably be smoother with the 0.95 gap lupo because of the more shallow shaving angle.
I think the 0.95 is a better choice for me. You can compensate for the extra gap by using less pressure.
I only have the .72, which has felt as smooth as I need it to, but now I’m curious. Maybe I need to grab the .95 plate and find out.

Ron R

I prefer the aluminum all over.
It must be a very good razor to push out different variants in stainless steel. I read a lot of the reviews of 1st Gen Aluminum Lupo and thought it was a winner and waited a long time for the stainless steel versions to be available. They still make the Aluminum version and will still make them for some time IMO.

Ron R

Well I think I'm starting to figure this USB microscope out a little better. I did a comparison with the Kai SS extra wide blade and judging by the thickness of the the blade .004 thousands it is indicating about .004 to.005 thousands of a inch blade exposure or .127mm blade exposure approximately.(looks about the same thickness as the blade which is about .004 thousands of a inch for blade exposure.)
Still002 Lupo.72 with a Kai SS blade.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Ron R

One last comparison to a standard Gillette 7oClock SS to a Kai SS extra wide blade(.009 inch or .23mm wider) the pictures explain the advantage if a fellow wants a little more blade exposure by just changing blades instead of shimming.
Some times a fellow wants a little more blade feel but not alarming amount.:a22:
Still001 Razorock Lupo,72 + Gillette 7oClock SS blade.jpg
Still002 Lupo.72 with a Kai SS blade+blade exposure.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom