What's new

Lupo stainless?

6th shave and it is just a pleasure to use the .95 Lupo. Nothing but smooth, efficient and nearly effortless shaves. All that for well under a $100 greenbacks. In terms of value and quality, there is no one even remotely close to what Razorock/Italian Barber offers in their CNC Razor line up. Well Blackland and their Dart is a formidable option and a damn good shaver but, it’s still nearly $30 more than the Lupo SS. Only 2 groups will exist with this razor. Group 1 are those that love it because of the performance to price ratio that it delivers right up against those costing 2-5 times as much. Group 2 is the hater group because they just realized that this razor delivers nearly as good if, not better than their (myself included) upper echelon/boutique/niche quality/uber expensive luxury whisker whackers. I’m dumbfounded and amazed at how RR/IB continues to make such quality products and offer them at near wholesale prices when compared to other well established razor producers with their higher price points and identical alloys. I’m not saying you shouldn’t purchase those higher priced/exclusive razors that have a jewel like feel and evoke pride of joy to own such a tool but, I honestly can say that the Lupo SS in whatever configuration you choose to own can give you nearly the same exact feeling in pride of ownership, quality of shave and excellent craftsmanship for nearly peanuts. The Lupo SS is a winner and that is a fact that is not debatable.

Grand Slam from the House of Razorock/Italian Barber if you want to know the truth......

D783ED57-5839-44C2-ADEE-B99E4CAAB19A.jpeg

6th shave and it is just a pleasure to use the .95 Lupo. Nothing but smooth, efficient and nearly effortless shaves. All that for well under a $100 greenbacks. In terms of value and quality, there is no one even remotely close to what Razorock/Italian Barber offers in their CNC Razor line up. Well Blackland and their Dart is a formidable option and a damn good shaver but, it’s still nearly $30 more than the Lupo SS. Only 2 groups will exist with this razor. Group 1 are those that love it because of the performance to price ratio that it delivers right up against those costing 2-5 times as much. Group 2 is the hater group because they just realized that this razor delivers nearly as good if, not better than their (myself included) upper echelon/boutique/niche quality/uber expensive luxury whisker whackers. I’m dumbfounded and amazed at how RR/IB continues to make such quality products and offer them at near wholesale prices when compared to other well established razor producers with their higher price points and identical alloys. I’m not saying you shouldn’t purchase those higher priced/exclusive razors that have a jewel like feel and evoke pride of joy to own such a tool but, I honestly can say that the Lupo SS in whatever configuration you choose to own can give you nearly the same exact feeling in pride of ownership, quality of shave and excellent craftsmanship for nearly peanuts. The Lupo SS is a winner and that is a fact that is not debatable.

Grand Slam from the House of Razorock/Italian Barber if you want to know the truth......

View attachment 1239207

Just saw your post in the Razorock BBS thread - sounds like the Lupo is definitely in another class from that razor or their other offerings.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1239207

An excellent review of a very competent razor.

I like the Lupo .72 and .95. They both provide me with very good shaves.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday's Shave 20210322
20210322_212530~2.jpg

Notes from my latest shave with the Lupo .72:

I agree with @GlazedBoker that the Stainless Lupos are very good razors. Just don't feel that they surpass the Big Dog razors in my Den.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy

View attachment 1239207

I'm in group #...3. This group is the group that realizes that a $69.99 razor just blew the pants off of their $200+ razors and could care a less because the shave is so consistently good, close and smooth that that is the only thing that matters. The quality of the shaves I'm getting with these Lupo razors is so noticeably better than my best shaves with the other razors in my den that it kinda scares me.

The only other thing I'll say...and I will definitely prove this out...is...I started using a new razor blade when I received my Lupo razors...the Gillette Silver Blue. So, without question, I am going to use that blade in my other razors to see just how much that is contributing to the results the Lupo is getting. I think any of us would do that. Kind of a...have to know situation.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Monday's Shave 20210322
View attachment 1240785
Notes from my latest shave with the Lupo .72:

I agree with @GlazedBoker that the Stainless Lupos are very good razors. Just don't feel that they surpass the Big Dog razors in my Den.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

The new SS Lupos perform so well for me...that they have me wondering...if the clone is THIS GOOD...what's the real thing like? I can't compare a Wolfman to one of them as I don't own one, but how much of a clone are these Lupos to the Wolfman WR1?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The new SS Lupos perform so well for me...that they have me wondering...if the clone is THIS GOOD...what's the real thing like? I can't compare a Wolfman to one of them as I don't own one, but how much of a clone are these Lupos to the Wolfman WR1?

I am unable to provide a comparison between the Lupo and the WR1. I have a Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB, but no WR1 ( at least not yet ;)).

I can say that my 'Big Dog' razors are clearly better to me and for me, albeit at a much higher cost.

The Lupo .95 is on tap for today and I will also keep trying to dial both Lupos in on subsequent shaves. I'd love to be able to report that the Lupos have been elevated to the 'Runs With The Big Dogs' group. :)

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I think the 2nd gen Lupo is a totally different razor than the Wolfman WR1 in design, I showed a few pictures on some of the posts.
Italian barber design have made the clamping of blade better, they have a narrow head and have made the cutting edge of the razor more true to width of blade with the cut out corners of top cap and base plate for detailing under the nose with no blade tab overhang. The Lupo 2nd Gen .72 or .95 is a lean mean cutting machine that hair whiskers don't stand a chance.
HDFNWJz.jpg
Razorock Lupo .72 VS Wolfman WR1.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I truly believe this is a “different strokes for different folks” scenario here. Without going to much into a razor version of “David vs. Goliath” type of a story, I’d like to put a little bit of my perspective on what the RR Lupo series of razors brings to the table for me. I’ll also put in a cent or two on how it compares to the luxury high rollers in the razor game.

I do have a few luxury shavers and just for the sake of this discussion, let’s just classify luxury razors over the $100 price point as the Mason Dixon Line and to keep things in a perspective view. It wouldn’t matter to me if that price point went up another $50 to $100 for some, it’s irrelevant in my eyes. Just want to keep it basic and simple.

The razors that I have in my shave den (in the DE category) that cross the $100 price threshold are as follows:

1. Timeless Ti: In my opinion, of the luxury razors that I own it is one of the best performers that I have come across in the shave game. Perfect weight, balance and a face feel that is 2nd to none. World Class and if I can ONLY have one razor for all times, it would be the Timeless Ti .95 SB.

2. H&S PO76 Ti: It cracks at the heels of the Timeless Ti and sometimes I think it matches it stroke for stroke but, I think I get better consistency with the Timeless Ti over the H&S in terms of shave performance and it’s overall ease of use in finding the angle and just a bit wider cutting window. Overall though, this razor is amazingly good.

3. HomelikeShaving Taiga Adjustable: Yeah, I know there aren’t many, they come from half way around the world in Russia and unfortunately, us westerners aren’t very keen on trusting products coming in from our comrades in the “Motherland”. But, make no mistake about it, this is perhaps and arguably the best modern adjustable made to date on this Earth. From gentlemanly mild to wicked bad assery cutting, this razor brings it in spades. Even in the higher ranges plus when you go past and over-clock for lack of a better term, the inherent smoothness that is felt throughout its adjustability range is sick. The 1st release the Taiga was offered in both SB & OC set ups to customize one’s shave to infinite possibilities. There is no equal when it comes to what one gets. Ease of use, maintenance and a uniqueness all its own. This razor should be illegal....

4. Timeless SS: The OG from Timeless. Only bested by its Ti sibling, barely. Still it is wonderfully balanced, has pure breed cutting pedigree and is a more affordable option of the two. Weighs a bit more and to some that’s a good thing, others not so much. Honestly, I’m not mad that I have one. Additionally, there is one called The Slim with a thinner cap & base profile that is an exceptional performer (also in Ti too). I consider this razor ”The Gatekeeper”. If you aspire to be a luxury razor with performance and can’t get passed the Timeless SS, well, look at what happened to Ramon & The Rojas Family vs El Gringo in “A fistful of dollars”. It’s not going to be a good ending for that luxury razor wannabe......

5. Rex Ambassador: It took a bit but, it finally made it to the Big Dance. Excellently crafted, well balanced and imo, there is no other handle that has the grip and tactile feel that the Ambassador possesses. I don’t care if you shave with melted Lard and you slap it on by the pounds, this razor will not fall or slip from one’s hands. Perhaps not as smooth as the others before it but, it will deliver a BBS finish regardless of facial hair type from daily to 2 weeks worth of Jeremiah Johnson beard growth. It’s the only 2 piece razor in this group and is quite easy to maintain & use. Some say that it has an inherent amount of drag while others say it is nearly nonexistent when shaving. I personally haven’t experienced this “drag” that quite a few have experienced. Adjustable as well from mild to wild giving you some sweet customization in your shave routine. Some say that it’s Americas finest adjustable and honestly, I wouldn’t put up much of an argument. Classy & dependable....

I don’t have a Wolfman to compare to any of my razors nor do I own arguably one of the best adjustables out there in the Rocnel Sailor so, just bare that in mind. Like I said, I have some not all.

So, where does the Lupo fit in with those heavy hitters that I mentioned & own above? Actually, closer than one would think. For $72.99 the Lupo SS .95 SB delivers a very close feeling shave to the $195 Matte Timeless SS .95 SB, just lagging behind by the tiniest of margins in smoothness, efficiency & comfort. It’s splitting hairs between the 2 but, it is discernible once you have shaved with each one a few times. It can not hang with the Timeless Ti .95 as there is just a different face feel that is palpable between the Lupo & Timeless Ti. The Lupo will get me to the same end result as the Ti but, the comfort is lacking as is the efficiency. Surprisingly, there is a razor that is Titanium that I think the Lupo SS outguns in the performance department and that’s the Carbon Shaving Cx-Ti series. Yes, I own it with both the +,++ base plates and the Lupo .95 is the better shaver for me. Another razor that the Lupo .95 fairs well against is with the HomelikeShaving START razor in both the .90 & 1.18 base plates. They are very, very close in performance and feel across the board. Honestly, it’s tough for the Lupo .95 to take on the adjustable razors, it’s just unfair as those razors can be literally fine tuned to ones liking. The Lupo & the Dart from Blackland are also quite similar in shave performance but, I like the Dart slightly better as it possesses a dual personality depending on how you use it in riding the cap or the safety bar.

In conclusion, is the Lupo a potential top tier razor performer in the luxury ranks? No, it’s an economical choice for those that don’t want to spend uber $$$ on the Big Boys yet, still be 85% to 90% close enough to them that it remains and establishes itself as a viable alternative in overall shave performance for the everyday shaver. You can’t quantify feel & looks into the equation because everyone has a different perceived notion on what luxury is or should be. It’s all in the eyes and minds of the potential buyer/consumer to ultimately decide “what is my luxury razor” or the tool that gets me the best bang for my buck without breaking the bank and allowing me to indulge in the other finer things of life.

And that’s exactly what the Lupo Series of razors is. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar it’s one of the best deals in the razor world with performance, alloy, craftsmanship and ease of acquisition to date.

And that’s all I’ve got to say about that.

Happy shaves everyone and enjoy the hell out of your RR Lupo. I know I will.... :shaving:

Last edited:
I truly believe this is a “different strokes for different folks” scenario here. Without going to much into a razor version of “David vs. Goliath” type of a story, I’d like to put a little bit of my perspective on what the RR Lupo series of razors brings to the table for me. I’ll also put in a cent or two on how it compares to the luxury high rollers in the razor game.

I do have a few luxury shavers and just for the sake of this discussion, let’s just classify luxury razors over the $100 price point as the Mason Dixon Line and to keep things in a perspective view. It wouldn’t matter to me if that price point went up another $50 to $100 for some, it’s irrelevant in my eyes. Just want to keep it basic and simple.

The razors that I have in my shave den (in the DE category) that cross the $100 price threshold are as follows:

1. Timeless Ti: In my opinion, of the luxury razors that I own it is one of the best performers that I have come across in the shave game. Perfect weight, balance and a face feel that is 2nd to none. World Class and if I can ONLY have one razor for all times, it would be the Timeless Ti .95 SB.

2. H&S PO76 Ti: It cracks at the heels of the Timeless Ti and sometimes I think it matches it stroke for stroke but, I think I get better consistency with the Timeless Ti over the H&S in terms of shave performance and it’s overall ease of use in finding the angle and just a bit wider cutting window. Overall though, this razor is amazingly good.

3. HomelikeShaving Taiga Adjustable: Yeah, I know there aren’t many, they come from half way around the world in Russia and unfortunately, us westerners aren’t very keen on trusting products coming in from our comrades in the “Motherland”. But, make no mistake about it, this is perhaps and arguably the best modern adjustable made to date on this Earth. From gentlemanly mild to wicked bad assery cutting, this razor brings it in spades. Even in the higher ranges plus when you go past and over-clock for lack of a better term, the inherent smoothness that is felt throughout its adjustability range is sick. The 1st release the Taiga was offered in both SB & OC set ups to customize one’s shave to infinite possibilities. There is no equal when it comes to what one gets. Ease of use, maintenance and a uniqueness all its own. This razor should be illegal....

4. Timeless SS: The OG from Timeless. Only bested by its Ti sibling, barely. Still it is wonderfully balanced, has pure breed cutting pedigree and is a more affordable option of the two. Weighs a bit more and to some that’s a good thing, others not so much. Honestly, I’m not mad that I have one. Additionally, there is one called The Slim with a thinner cap & base profile that is an exceptional performer (also in Ti too). I consider this razor ”The Gatekeeper”. If you aspire to be a luxury razor with performance and can’t get passed the Timeless SS, well, look at what happened to Ramon & The Rojas Family vs El Gringo in “A fistful of dollars”. It’s not going to be a good ending for that luxury razor wannabe......

5. Rex Ambassador: It took a bit but, it finally made it to the Big Dance. Excellently crafted, well balanced and imo, there is no other handle that has the grip and tactile feel that the Ambassador possesses. I don’t care if you shave with melted Lard and you slap it on by the pounds, this razor will not fall or slip from one’s hands. Perhaps not as smooth as the others before it but, it will deliver a BBS finish regardless of facial hair type from daily to 2 weeks worth of Jeremiah Johnson beard growth. It’s the only 2 piece razor in this group and is quite easy to maintain & use. Some say that it has an inherent amount of drag while others say it is nearly nonexistent when shaving. I personally haven’t experienced this “drag” that quite a few have experienced. Adjustable as well from mild to wild giving you some sweet customization in your shave routine. Some say that it’s Americas finest adjustable and honestly, I wouldn’t put up much of an argument. Classy & dependable....

I don’t have a Wolfman to compare to any of my razors nor do I own arguably one of the best adjustables out there in the Rocnel Sailor so, just bare that in mind. Like I said, I have some not all.

So, where does the Lupo fit in with those heavy hitters that I mentioned & own above? Actually, closer than one would think. For $72.99 the Lupo SS .95 SB delivers a very close feeling shave to the $195 Matte Timeless SS .95 SB, just lagging behind by the tiniest of margins in smoothness, efficiency & comfort. It’s splitting hairs between the 2 but, it is discernible once you have shaved with each one a few times. It can not hang with the Timeless Ti .95 as there is just a different face feel that is palpable between the Lupo & Timeless Ti. The Lupo will get me to the same end result as the Ti but, the comfort is lacking as is the efficiency. Surprisingly, there is a razor that is Titanium that I think the Lupo SS outguns in the performance department and that’s the Carbon Shaving Cx-Ti series. Yes, I own it with both the +,++ base plates and the Lupo .95 is the better shaver for me. Another razor that the Lupo .95 fairs well against is with the HomelikeShaving START razor in both the .90 & 1.18 base plates. They are very, very close in performance and feel across the board. Honestly, it’s tough for the Lupo .95 to take on the adjustable razors, it’s just unfair as those razors can be literally fine tuned to ones liking. The Lupo & the Dart from Blackland are also quite similar in shave performance but, I like the Dart slightly better as it possesses a dual personality depending on how you use it in riding the cap or the safety bar.

In conclusion, is the Lupo a potential top tier razor performer in the luxury ranks? No, it’s an economical choice for those that don’t want to spend uber $$$ on the Big Boys yet, still be 85% to 90% close enough to them that it remains and establishes itself as a viable alternative in overall shave performance for the everyday shaver. You can’t quantify feel & looks into the equation because everyone has a different perceived notion on what luxury is or should be. It’s all in the eyes and minds of the potential buyer/consumer to ultimately decide “what is my luxury razor” or the tool that gets me the best bang for my buck without breaking the bank and allowing me to indulge in the other finer things of life.

And that’s exactly what the Lupo Series of razors is. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar it’s one of the best deals in the razor world with performance, alloy, craftsmanship and ease of acquisition to date.

Happy shaves everyone and enjoy the hell out of your RR Lupo. I know I will.... :shaving:

Wow ! An absolutely wonderful essay and review. Great job Sir !
I have enjoyed reading all your posts on this thread, and agree with your opinions. I am a recent owner of the new stainless steel Lupo .72 with the Bamboo handle, and have reported my feelings on this thread and one of my own. Yes indeed, it is a fantastic razor and a true bargain.

Loved reading your perspective on Lupo versus more luxurious, expensive razors. I've shaved with my Lupo 72 twice and feel quite happy with it. I'm also waiting to get a Blackbird Ti which reportedly belongs to a higher league. I am so curious to see and feel the difference between the two when it comes to efficiency, smoothness and comfort.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
As @GlazedBoker so eloquently states, this is very much a YMMV situation.

My latest comments on the Lupo .95 are posted on my "Comparison of DE Razors In My Den....." thread:

20210323_204407~2.jpg

I do hope that no one thinks I am denigrating the Lupos or anyone's decision to choose one of the Lupos. All three of the Lupos (DLC, .95 and .72) are and will remain in my Den, until and if they ever get bumped out. They just don't crack what I personally consider my Top Tier. Doesn't mean I don't like them. Doesn't mean I won't use them. They are definitely a great value and perform very well.

We all have different shaving biases and my comments reflect mine.

YMMV

@GlazedBoker and @never-stop-learning ...There's something special RR managed to achieve with this product.

Just a really efficient,safe and
easy to use ,long-lasting ,
shaving TOOL .
Without many bells and whistles.
Just a dedicated shaving tool.
No more ,no less than that .
In a (shaving) world full of futuristic
designs and never lasting hype for the exotic ,simplicity can seem
as being really special ,indeed.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

My latest comments on the Lupo .95 are posted on my "Comparison of DE Razors In My Den....." thread:

View attachment 1241036

I do hope that no one thinks I am denigrating the Lupos or anyone's decision to choose one of the Lupos. All three of the Lupos (DLC, .95 and .72) are and will remain in my Den, until and if they ever get bumped out. They just don't crack what I personally consider my Top Tier. Doesn't mean I don't like them. Doesn't mean I won't use them. They are definitely a great value and perform very well.

YMMV
Yup, Shaving gear can be at times the most opinionated topics going IMO. I think that is what also makes it a interesting hobby as long as we stay civil some what or how. :a22:

View attachment 1241036

YMMV

My friend, the commentary/opinion that I previously posted was not an attempt to take a shot at anyone directly or indirectly. I actually have enjoyed and agreed with much of your findings in this and other threads concerning the differences between one razor against another. I perhaps might not agree with all your findings on any particular razor but, I certainly respect the thoughts & the process behind your findings.

I think that this thread has harbored a very good balance of debate & gentlemanly discussion on aspects of a specific razor. Some will show a slight zealous nature in defending their champion of a razor while others will show a more pragmatic approach in their razor of choice, which in this case is the RR Lupo SS.

In the end it's a good thing. The experienced user/shaver can drop tiny diamonds of useful information that can be shared among all shavers whether it be a noob, enthusiast or the hard core shave tool accumulator. I myself have picked up on a couple of things from straight up newbies that I hadn't considered nor remotely thought of.

As long as discussions for the most part remain civil and within the parameters of the thread, it's a win for all us shavers.

Happy shaves, amigo.... :shaving:

M

member 119848

Surprisingly, there is a razor that is Titanium that I think the Lupo SS outguns in the performance department and that’s the Carbon Shaving Cx-Ti series. Yes, I own it with both the +,++ base plates and the Lupo .95 is the better shaver for me.

Thank you, I´m glad you brought that out. That was exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for!
I have been considering a Carbon CX but the cost of purchasing one didn´t feel right for my wallet.
And having enjoyed the Lupo (Aluminum) that my wife kept, the new SS Lupos caught my interest.
Both the Carbon and the Lupo have similar head thinness, and seem to be smooth shavers with positive blade exposures and similar blade gaps.
I thought that a comparison between the two would be unlikely considering how few people own a Carbon.
My Lupo .72 is on its way and I´m glad it didn´t break the bank. It should be a nice complementary razor to my Timeless Ti .68.
The Lupo will surely bring a little bit more blade feel while remaining smooth.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
My friend, the commentary/opinion that I previously posted was not an attempt to take a shot at anyone directly or indirectly. I actually have enjoyed and agreed with much of your findings in this and other threads concerning the differences between one razor against another. I perhaps might not agree with all your findings on any particular razor but, I certainly respect the thoughts & the process behind your findings.

I think that this thread has harbored a very good balance of debate & gentlemanly discussion on aspects of a specific razor. Some will show a slight zealous nature in defending their champion of a razor while others will show a more pragmatic approach in their razor of choice, which in this case is the RR Lupo SS.

In the end it's a good thing. The experienced user/shaver can drop tiny diamonds of useful information that can be shared among all shavers whether it be a noob, enthusiast or the hard core shave tool accumulator. I myself have picked up on a couple of things from straight up newbies that I hadn't considered nor remotely thought of.

As long as discussions for the most part remain civil and within the parameters of the thread, it's a win for all us shavers.

Happy shaves, amigo.... :shaving:

Thank you for your kind comments. You are a true Gentleman.

I also enjoy your reviews and respect your viewpoints. I've learned a lot through reading your commentary on a wide variety of subjects.

I agree that we are pretty much in agreement regarding the new Stainless Lupos. Our comments on their strengths and challenges will vary depending on how we view them through the lens of our own shaving preferences, biases and experiences.

The Lupo .95/Feather blade combination I shaved with last evening was a very pleasant experience. :)

Happy Shaves, my friend. :)

Top Bottom