What's new

Lupo stainless?

My Lupo .72 came in about an hour ago, ordered on the 23rd and received the 26th with the UPS option. That was Canada to N.C. so not bad at all.

I have two days growth saved up and a Nacet loaded for the maiden voyage but the wife drafted me for interior painting.
😧
Guess I'll have to update later but first impression from appearance, it looks like a high speed/low drag, improvement on the GC 84. I love how they machined that spot under the baseplate for my nylon washer. The overall polishing looks good, not like my Timeless .68 but quite sufficient considering the price. The haloed ufo handle looks fantastic. I'm pretty excited to take it for a spin.

cheers

Initial shave on the .72 with 53 hrs growth. First impressions and all but it's a keeper. I don't really chase BBS, usually just 2 pass and touch up but this turned into a 3 pass because the razor just feels so good. Seems a wee bit more efficient than my GC 84 SB... maybe getting close to 84 OC territory. I used the 84 OC Wednesday and the smoothness is pretty close.

The alum bar is not my regular routine but using it right after showed slight irritation at a spot on my left lower neck... the Achilles Heel of my shaves as it were. It baffles me, perhaps since I shave right-handed?

Anyway, a great razor for the price. To be truthful, I've been a Razorock fan ever since I picked up the GC back in August. Started with the 68 sb but quickly learned the 84 sb was my sweet spot along with the OC baseplate to add variety now and again. I have the Timeless SS 68 sb, Rex Envoy, Fatip, Parker TTO and 3 piece, Merkur Progress and a fairly nice vintage collection and enjoy them all but when time to shave, 7 out 10 chance goes to the GC 84 sb. I just love the small, nimble head design, perfect blade placement and reveal (I can be OCD) and the smoothness but... given a few more shaves under my belt and the Lupo 72 sb may dethrone the King for my favorite daily shaver. I perceive there may be a Lupo .95 in my future also. 🥲

That's all I got... cheers

20210226_214122.jpg

My opinion about the RR handles
for the Lupo 95.
From all the 90mm RR handles the best for the Lupo is the Bamboo handle.Being the lightest of the
rest ss handles at 90 mm length it
offers a great balance and in spite
that is not knurled it offers a great grip.As bonus ,it‘s the only RR handle
that is mirror polished .

Initial shave on the .72 with 53 hrs growth. First impressions and all but it's a keeper. I don't really chase BBS, usually just 2 pass and touch up but this turned into a 3 pass because the razor just feels so good. Seems a wee bit more efficient than my GC 84 SB... maybe getting close to 84 OC territory. I used the 84 OC Wednesday and the smoothness is pretty close.

The alum bar is not my regular routine but using it right after showed slight irritation at a spot on my left lower neck... the Achilles Heel of my shaves as it were. It baffles me, perhaps since I shave right-handed?

Anyway, a great razor for the price. To be truthful, I've been a Razorock fan ever since I picked up the GC back in August. Started with the 68 sb but quickly learned the 84 sb was my sweet spot along with the OC baseplate to add variety now and again. I have the Timeless SS 68 sb, Rex Envoy, Fatip, Parker TTO and 3 piece, Merkur Progress and a fairly nice vintage collection and enjoy them all but when time to shave, 7 out 10 chance goes to the GC 84 sb. I just love the small, nimble head design, perfect blade placement and reveal (I can be OCD) and the smoothness but... given a few more shaves under my belt and the Lupo 72 sb may dethrone the King for my favorite daily shaver. I perceive there may be a Lupo .95 in my future also. 🥲

That's all I got... cheers

View attachment 1228952
Nice review! Regarding the irritation on the lower neck, allow me to share a few thoughts as I have been very focused on solving this problem for myself for a long time now: blade choice is more important here than I originally realized; try beard mapping this area AGAIN, on closer inspection I learned the hair at the bottom of my neck changes directions almost at a right angle giving almost a U-shaped pattern on each side of the neck; finally--and I think this one is the kicker--try bullfrogging: instead of stretching your skin by tilting your chin up, relax the skin by tilting your chin down, this one was a real breakthrough for me.

316L & olive wood ...
Tilted backwards and
a bit to the side !
Because !

That is certainly a beautiful razor. Looking forward to hearing more from you about how you like it.

I ordered my stainless steel Lupo .72 with the bamboo handle on Tuesday, got an e-mail from IB that
it was shipped on Wednesday, and now the tracking tells me it's at the Usorda, USA post office (where
it's been for the past two days.) Hopefully, it will soon be on its way to my upstate New York mailbox.

But no matter how long it takes, I don't feel sorry for myself, as I am most certainly enjoying my
Timeless Bronze SB, Timeless Aluminum, Rockwell 6C, Maggard's MR5, and Edwin Jagger Ebony.
So, ..... did I "need" to buy the Lupo ? -- of course not ! But do I "deserve" to buy it ? Yes indeed !

A faint memory from the past ,
when my granddad placed his
razor in the drawer.
My 75 years old father told me
lately ,that his dad had only one razor ,the one that I still remember placing it in the drawer .
“-Had it for more than 50 years.
It had become a projection of his hand.”

What a bliss to have
and use a single razor.
The One !

No matter the price ,
but the One with the
highest value .

The One that gives the best shaves.
The One that has adapted to the hand and the hand knows how to tame it.
The One that will age along .
Just the One.

I still rotate few selected soaps and few selected blades.

But ,what a bliss to have found the
One !

Tried something a bit different today, and I LIKED it. 3 day growth; warm shower prior; Shave Secret oil as preshave; aerosol shave gel (Walmart Equate) - none of that unprecedented. What was different is I only shaved with the grain, particularly with the .95SB side. First pass WTG with .72OC side; second pass again WTG with .95SB. This left me with very minor cleanups that were accomplished XTG mostly with .72OC and minor ATG still with the .72OC. REALLY comfortable close shave. I'll be interested to see how long it lasts.

Very intriguing the options this DC offers - it really opens up a lot of options to explore.

The shave lasted all thru the day, and the next day I had just enough to shave 1 pass plus cleanups. Two more repetitions of this cycle, and I've finally conquered my winter skin. Loving my LUPO II DC.

Just finished my 2nd shave with the .72, 2 pass & touch-up, no weepers, irritation or drama. Last shave was Friday around 7:30pm and I never really felt any stubble going on 10hr later except for a slight patch right under my left jaw line. Starting to get a feel for the Lupo now.

A faint memory from the past ,
when my granddad placed his
razor in the drawer.
My 75 years old father told me
lately ,that his dad had only one razor ,the one that I still remember placing it in the drawer .
“-Had it for more than 50 years.
It had become a projection of his hand.”

What a bliss to have
and use a single razor.
The One !

No matter the price ,
but the One with the
highest value .

The One that gives the best shaves.
The One that has adapted to the hand and the hand knows how to tame it.
The One that will age along .
Just the One.

I still rotate few selected soaps and few selected blades.

But ,what a bliss to have found the
One !

My Dad (born 1916) was the same. He was gifted a Slim Adjustable by my Mom in '63 and used it daily (excluding Saturdays) until he passed in '97. I kept it for sentimental value and it's still in amazing condition.

I received a 72 stainless today from italianbarber. I will give it a spin this week and see how it shakes out. From all the positive press, I am sure I will like it. I am a fan of the GC 84P-SB, so this is probably going to work out just fine.

I hope it works out. Big love for my 84p SB and I think they did a great job on the SS Lupo.

For those that have had the aluminum Lupo, is the overall face feel much the same with the 0.72 or 0.95 steel lupo?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Ok, I just finished the shave with the Lupo .72. I have to say this is an impressive razor. The impressive part is really at the end of the review if you want to skip over.

I loaded up the Lupo with a med prep on its second shave. This is a new blade to me as well, but I got a feel for it with a super speed. I did my normal prep and used SV as the soap. First thought was there was more blade feel than the GC 84. Nothing bad, but more than I prefer. The angle was easy to find and the razor maneuvered easily around the face. After my normal 3 pass shave I then do touchups. During the shave it was clear this razor was more efficient than the GC 84. The touch-up pass confirmed it, there was very little to touch-up to get the BBS.

What impressed me was the post shave, this is what tells me how beat up my face was. I use an alcohol splash so it is obvious. This time, splash, wait for it...., nothing. Wait. Where's the beef?

No sting, very very very little redness, almost as though I hadn't shaved at all and the hair had just fallen out on its own. That was surprising. For all of the efficiency of this razor it is surprisingly gentle. The only trade-off is a bit more blade feel than other razors. This razor really is something different.

I will use it a bit more, but I was expecting a sting in the post shave due to the efficiency and blade feel, but there was nothing, just no beard and no sting.

Nice review FloppyJoe ! I'm still tracking my SS Lupo .72 with Bamboo handle, ordered from IB on Tuesday 2/23,
and shipped out to me on Wednesday 2/24. The package left the "Usorda, USA" customs station, and is now in the
"regular" Chicago post office, on its way to my mailbox .... expected delivery next Tuesday. I'm pretty excited about
getting it, after reading all the glowing reviews on this thread.

316L & olive wood ...
Tilted backwards and
a bit to the side !
Because !

For the same reason I always cut a sandwich not quite on a perfect diagonal and the same reason Frank Sinatra always wore his head tilted at a slightly rakish angle.

Love the stand!

Another superb shave
with the Lupo .95 !

•Officina Artigiana Milano
Stay Traditional
•Omega EVO
•Razorock Lupo .95
•Gillette Nacet
•Post Shave Bliss serum
•Lavish Care Exotic Spices asl
•Natura Siberica Yak & Yeti asb

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Nice review FloppyJoe ! I'm still tracking my SS Lupo .72 with Bamboo handle, ordered from IB on Tuesday 2/23,
and shipped out to me on Wednesday 2/24. The package left the "Usorda, USA" customs station, and is now in the
"regular" Chicago post office, on its way to my mailbox .... expected delivery next Tuesday. I'm pretty excited about
getting it, after reading all the glowing reviews on this thread.
My last few purchases from IB I've been opting for the UPS $6.99 option to try and avoid the recent USPS problems. Well worth the extra few dollars to help my stress levels. 😁

Top Bottom