What's new

Lupo stainless?

@GlazedBoker -- I wonder if the difference was REALLY due to the different checkering on the two barber pole handles!
:001_tt2:

All joking aside -- great review that confirms why I have been so eagerly awaiting the .72OC.

I noticed that too but, I was not going to let some knurling be an obstacle. Sometimes you have to roll the dice.. Hehehe. :letterk1:

• Cheers
Reactions: OB1
Ok, I couldn’t wait. So, to be on the up and up because you know how everyone is critical and a skeptic, I kept everything equal on both razors. Same Bic Chrome Platinum on both (new) and identical RR Barber Pole handles. You never know, poop kickers like to point out every discrepancy on why and what. The nerve. :001_tt2:

Yes, one is a .72 & .95. Just in case there were any doubts or the question of “Hey, he could be tricking us here” reard its head.

View attachment 1576934

I’m not going to drag out and write down every single stroke & pass (it’s Christmas Eve, much to do). Here is the skinny. On the first pass, .72 on the right, .95 on the left it was very apparent that the .95 OC was the more aggressive feeling shaver from the word go. It cut down the whiskers on the right side to skin level with ease and relative comfort. On the left with the .72 it was basically the same feel with solid removal of whiskers down to skin level with nearly the same ease just not as aggressive feeling. First pass though and both felt about equal on whisker feel for the 2nd pass. Did the same with pass 2 and on the ATG pass I really employ skin stretching techniques to get the most out of clearing out the whiskers in a controlled but efficient manner. The .95 with it’s higher gap and aggressive nature just really excels in this pass for me. Skin stretch and an easy upward stroke. I never need to repeat a stroke with the .95 OC in the same spot, that’s how efficient it performs. Cleared out the left side with ease and no issues of yet. Went to the right side with the .72 OC with the same skin stretching technique and it cut cleanly and effectively but, it felt easier and smoother to work vs the .95 OC. Not by a substantial margin but, noticeable. Once they were both cleared and I rinsed to do a face feel check, both sides felt great yet the .72 side (right) had some very minut spots or patches that were still not cleared. Very subtle but, noticeable once I put my hands on that side and put some light pressure to the skin. Conversely, on the .95 side (left) felt supremely smoother without any spots or patches that survived the 2nd ATG pass. The extra gap really does come to play here really well if one looks for fewer passes for the same desired results. Admittedly, there were a couple of stragglers around Sir Adam but, that is the case with nearly every razor for me. But, the rest of the left side was flawless from burns to the neck. Disclosure here, I do not shave the stache area as I maintain one. No news for you gents there. I relathered and just took the .95 to the Adam’s Apple are to clean up those stragglers and it was done. BBS finish with 2 passes with a slight clean up on Sir Adam with the .95 OC. Not a single issue concerning weepers, nics nor the dreaded irritation gremlins. Grabbed the .72 OC and employing a ATG/XTG hybrid pass, I finished the right side with a light third pass to catch those patches and the whiskers around Sir Adam on that side. Once completed I did a final cold water rinse and alum pass. Nothing across the board. My face felt great with a nice smoothness and a BBS finish on both sides. The splash confirmed it all and the shave was done.

Conclusion for me? The .95 OC is the more aggressive & efficient performer. With a lighter touch and a more precise manner of use, this razor will give one an extremely close and comfy shave. Deviate from that norm and one can pay the price. Yet, I don’t consider the .95 OC overly aggressive just more efficiently tenacious if that makes sense. The .72 OC gives just as good a shave but, requires in my experience just a bit more work and it’s not much that’s needed. Still, the .72 OC gave an excellent performance in almost 3 passes. For the gap size, that’s pretty impressive and it is ultimately easier and smoother to use.

Basically, it depends on what a shaver wants. Quick, less work and be done potentially in 2 passes? The Lupo .95 OC can do that quite well perhaps only the toughest of beards requiring a third pass. Want something still almost as efficient feeling but, is easier to use and more gentle on the skin, the .72 OC might do it for you. They both do it well whenever I want a particular feel in a shave. They satisfy both sides of the spectrum without saying oops, I’m sorry. Figure out what you want and both will do it to near perfection.

Great shaves to all & Happy Holidays….

View attachment 1576925
Perfect evaluation and write up. And great photos to boot. :) Merry Christmas.

Ok, I couldn’t wait. So, to be on the up and up because you know how everyone is critical and a skeptic, I kept everything equal on both razors. Same Bic Chrome Platinum on both (new) and identical RR Barber Pole handles. You never know, poop kickers like to point out every discrepancy on why and what. The nerve. :001_tt2:

Yes, one is a .72 & .95. Just in case there were any doubts or the question of “Hey, he could be tricking us here” reard its head.

View attachment 1576934

I’m not going to drag out and write down every single stroke & pass (it’s Christmas Eve, much to do). Here is the skinny. On the first pass, .72 on the right, .95 on the left it was very apparent that the .95 OC was the more aggressive feeling shaver from the word go. It cut down the whiskers on the right side to skin level with ease and relative comfort. On the left with the .72 it was basically the same feel with solid removal of whiskers down to skin level with nearly the same ease just not as aggressive feeling. First pass though and both felt about equal on whisker feel for the 2nd pass. Did the same with pass 2 and on the ATG pass I really employ skin stretching techniques to get the most out of clearing out the whiskers in a controlled but efficient manner. The .95 with it’s higher gap and aggressive nature just really excels in this pass for me. Skin stretch and an easy upward stroke. I never need to repeat a stroke with the .95 OC in the same spot, that’s how efficient it performs. Cleared out the left side with ease and no issues of yet. Went to the right side with the .72 OC with the same skin stretching technique and it cut cleanly and effectively but, it felt easier and smoother to work vs the .95 OC. Not by a substantial margin but, noticeable. Once they were both cleared and I rinsed to do a face feel check, both sides felt great yet the .72 side (right) had some very minut spots or patches that were still not cleared. Very subtle but, noticeable once I put my hands on that side and put some light pressure to the skin. Conversely, on the .95 side (left) felt supremely smoother without any spots or patches that survived the 2nd ATG pass. The extra gap really does come to play here really well if one looks for fewer passes for the same desired results. Admittedly, there were a couple of stragglers around Sir Adam but, that is the case with nearly every razor for me. But, the rest of the left side was flawless from burns to the neck. Disclosure here, I do not shave the stache area as I maintain one. No news for you gents there. I relathered and just took the .95 to the Adam’s Apple are to clean up those stragglers and it was done. BBS finish with 2 passes with a slight clean up on Sir Adam with the .95 OC. Not a single issue concerning weepers, nics nor the dreaded irritation gremlins. Grabbed the .72 OC and employing a ATG/XTG hybrid pass, I finished the right side with a light third pass to catch those patches and the whiskers around Sir Adam on that side. Once completed I did a final cold water rinse and alum pass. Nothing across the board. My face felt great with a nice smoothness and a BBS finish on both sides. The splash confirmed it all and the shave was done.

Conclusion for me? The .95 OC is the more aggressive & efficient performer. With a lighter touch and a more precise manner of use, this razor will give one an extremely close and comfy shave. Deviate from that norm and one can pay the price. Yet, I don’t consider the .95 OC overly aggressive just more efficiently tenacious if that makes sense. The .72 OC gives just as good a shave but, requires in my experience just a bit more work and it’s not much that’s needed. Still, the .72 OC gave an excellent performance in almost 3 passes. For the gap size, that’s pretty impressive and it is ultimately easier and smoother to use.

Basically, it depends on what a shaver wants. Quick, less work and be done potentially in 2 passes? The Lupo .95 OC can do that quite well perhaps only the toughest of beards requiring a third pass. Want something still almost as efficient feeling but, is easier to use and more gentle on the skin, the .72 OC might do it for you. They both do it well whenever I want a particular feel in a shave. They satisfy both sides of the spectrum without saying oops, I’m sorry. Figure out what you want and both will do it to near perfection.

Great shaves to all & Happy Holidays….

View attachment 1576925
Wow...
Another detailed and highly instructive review! Thank you very much, my friend! 😀

🌲 ... and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and your family! 🌲

Happy New Year!

1st shave of the year, and what a shave it was! Lupo 95 SB, Gillette 365 (1), PAA Amber Aerolite, Nordic Shaving Company Citrus & Ginger, Speick blue splash, Alverde balm.

All well known to me, except the blade, the very first use ever. A nice surprise, worked well with the SB, I'm going to test it with the OC too.

The Lupo .72 OC is a winner for me. I'm enjoying using this easy, efficient razor.
Me too JCarr:
0F404A1A-53D7-4EFC-8942-A0A3FBF661E0.jpeg

Did a little comparison shave, after taking a couple days off shaving. Lupo .95OC on my right side, Lupo DC (.72OC/.95SB) on my left. The experiment was to use a brand new blade in both, with the .95OC getting a Feather and the DC getting a Kai.

Shave went fantastic with both, and I must say the Kai brought the efficiency right up the the .95OC level for my face. I honestly could not say which I liked more - both were just stellar. I did my final cleanups on both sides with the .95SB side of the DC, albeit with a very light touch and dead-neutral angle. That was almost too much fun, and I will be switching sides and repeating that experiment.

SOTD: Lupo 95 SB, Gillette 365 (2), Semogue SOC 2band, Nordic Shaving Company Citrus & Ginger, Speick splash

The first shave with this blade was with the 95 OC. I have more miles with SB, but I still like it better. The OC is not as smooth, and that little gain in efficiency is not worth the lost smoothness for me. I will take out the R41 to see how it feels vs the OC.
I'm starting to see a pattern, I thought I like OCs, but it seems I only like the R41, my other favorites are all SBs.

received a lupo 58 a few days ago and i'm really satisfied since it shaves very similar compared to the al version just like i was hoping for, maybe a tiny tad milder but just as efficient. one thing i have noticed with the ss series though, is that the finish is really bad. when i have first read on the razorock homepage that the finish is not jewelry but tool-finish like i thought, alright, they don't shine like a wolfman but they will look perfectly acceptable.. i was wrong. luckily, it is a rather simple task to add a better finish to it within 30 minutes, all that is needed is some basic steel-polish and a microfiber-cloth.

received a lupo 58 a few days ago and i'm really satisfied since it shaves very similar compared to the al version just like i was hoping for, maybe a tiny tad milder but just as efficient. one thing i have noticed with the ss series though, is that the finish is really bad. when i have first read on the razorock homepage that the finish is not jewelry but tool-finish like i thought, alright, they don't shine like a wolfman but they will look perfectly acceptable.. i was wrong. luckily, it is a rather simple task to add a better finish to it within 30 minutes, all that is needed is some basic steel-polish and a microfiber-cloth.
I am not sure "bad" is a good word for it, it is tool-like, as they said it would be. it is after all just that (a tool).
There are no machining marks or dings on them, so for me they are ok. I have seen photos of the first iteration of the GreenCult razor, those had visible machining marks all around.

offtopic, but I just shaved with the R41. it is pointless to compare it with any Lupo. Different design, different feel. The only common thing is that they both take a DE blade.
The R41 has one property that no other DE that I tried has, it gives you a marble/glass like finish like no other.

take a look at the downside of the topcap which i did not polished. one could argue that this, is indeed a very bad finish.. i also see some machining marks. however, as stated above, i have managed to polish the topside of the topcap and the baseplate to a "mühle-like" finish pretty easily.
20230113_120723.jpg

hmm, I don't often look at the bottom of the top cap, but I shall check mine. iirc, mine isn't so scratched.
bought it brand-new from rasoigoodfellas a few days ago. i doubt the downside of my topcap is the only one that looks like that. the rest of the razor looks really nice though and is without any machining marks.

I have checked mine (got 2). When you don't look at them up close, it isn't noticeable. Took two photos, one with flash, one without. When you flash it, it looks similar to yours. Perhaps take a photo at natural light?
Anyway, there are small machining marks around the post, just like yours, and this is the least refined part of the razor. The baseplate and the top of the cap look much better. I don't think it is an issue, especially for the US price.

Top Bottom