What's new

Lupo stainless?

Went back to a Karve Brass OC Plate B this morning...good shave...but not what the Lupo can do. After I was done with the feel around...I knew right away...the Lupo, for me, is on a different level.

Hmmm?? That’s interesting. Not that I doubt what you’re saying but, the Karve Brass is a very fine shaver as well. Intriguing. I might have to do a shave throw down between those two capable razors. To be continued.......

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
After yesterday's shave with the Karve Brass OC, I'm hard pressed this morning to pick up something other than my Lupo. Have to though...need to know. Thinking of using the Karve Brass SB Plate C with a Kai SS in it.

1st use Wilkinson in my Lupo DC today, stayed on the 95 side. Shave went beautifully, comfortably. 10 minutes later I glanced at a mirror and found 3 weepers - two on my neck and one between my chin and lower lip - that I had no indication during the shave had happened. Barely a trickle, but there.

1st use Wilkinson in my Lupo DC today, stayed on the 95 side. Shave went beautifully, comfortably. 10 minutes later I glanced at a mirror and found 3 weepers - two on my neck and one between my chin and lower lip - that I had no indication during the shave had happened. Barely a trickle, but there.

Sounds like the weepers I received with the 72. They showed up, but I never felt a cut or discomfort at the time they were caused.

~Kai

Went back to a Karve Brass OC Plate B this morning...good shave...but not what the Lupo can do. After I was done with the feel around...I knew right away...the Lupo, for me, is on a different level.

I have a Karve with plates from A to F in solid bar. After using this razor with all the plates at various times over the past 3 years, I will submit that a Karve with a B plate is not a fair comparison with a Lupo 95. You would have to get at least to a D plate. As much as I can enjoy using a B plate, it cannot ever compare with a shave I've finished with a D, E, or F plate. I've tried. I just end up with razor burn/irritation from so many passes trying to chase that type of shave.

Not to take anything away from a Lupo. I really want to try one, but there is no return policy and there's just so many razors I would like to "try out". I'm not totally married to my Karve by any means. If you're thrilled with your Lupo and get a close, comfortable shave, I would just stick with it and forget the Karve or save it for a quick, mild shave. That's just me, though. I'm just saying that I don't think you will know which razor you prefer for the quality of shave you're getting with your Lupo until you compare it with the Karve fitted with a D or E plate. JMO, YMMV, etc.

First shave today with the 72 baseplate I traded with @Kai for my 95. I was very pleasantly surprised with the performance. Such a smooth shaving razor for me. I waited a few hours since my shave since the 95 would have me feeling stubble by now. Nope, no stubble yet! Glad we made the trade because Kai posted that he loves the 95 baseplate.
I don't know why or how the 95 had my stubble growing quicker, but it always did.
Another great example of YMMV in the shaving world.

First shave today with the 72 baseplate I traded with @Kai for my 95. I was very pleasantly surprised with the performance. Such a smooth shaving razor for me. I waited a few hours since my shave since the 95 would have me feeling stubble by now. Nope, no stubble yet! Glad we made the trade because Kai posted that he loves the 95 baseplate.
I don't know why or how the 95 had my stubble growing quicker, but it always did.

Some things in life just defy convention. It doesn't make any sense to me either, but I'm OK with that. Glad the 72 worked out out for you. Thanks again for proposing the trade.

~Kai

I usually get no weepers with the R41, I almost never irritated my skin with it. I have a theory: because it forces you to concentrate 100% of the time, if you don't want to slice up your face :D, your technique will be the your best -> no weepers. When I switch to a milder razor (=anything else), right at the first use I usually get some microweepers, because I might get sloppy, because of the lack of constant reminder from the razor :)

Wilkinson... which Flavor? Germany, India (Gillette) or England (vintage). Just curious, I have some of each incoming to compare.

Wúnderbar!

Some things in life just defy convention. It doesn't make any sense to me either, but I'm OK with that. Glad the 72 worked out out for you. Thanks again for proposing the trade.

~Kai

Chuffed to hear things might be sorting out for the both of you.
🤜💥🤛

I was intrigued by the mentioning ( I believe @JCarr mentioned it a few posts back) of the Lupo vs. the Karve and if they were more similar or different. So, I decided to give them both a go tonight. But, I wanted the comparison of the two to be as close as possible between the Lupo .95 and the Karve. The closest plate that compares to the RR Lupo .95 for the Karve is the “D” plate at .98.

Long story short, it was a darn good shave. And a lot closer than I anticipated as I thought the Lupo would actually run away but, that was not the case. The Lupo felt great but, the Karve with the D plate stood right with it. Both sides ended up with a BBS finish. Won’t tell how good actually until further along but, I’m enjoying the results at the moment.

Great shaves to all....

D4B58812-825F-46D2-8405-8D6C6B61F8EA.jpeg

I went to the Karve D from C and it works amazing, but not with the Feather blade, which worked great in the C. I threw a med prep in the D and wow what a difference. If the Lupo 95 is better than that I’m intrigued
I was intrigued by the mentioning ( I believe @JCarr mentioned it a few posts back) of the Lupo vs. the Karve and if they were more similar or different. So, I decided to give them both a go tonight. But, I wanted the comparison of the two to be as close as possible between the Lupo .95 and the Karve. The closest plate that compares to the RR Lupo .95 for the Karve is the “D” plate at .98.

Long story short, it was a darn good shave. And a lot closer than I anticipated as I thought the Lupo would actually run away but, that was not the case. The Lupo felt great but, the Karve with the D plate stood right with it. Both sides ended up with a BBS finish. Won’t tell how good actually until further along but, I’m enjoying the results at the moment.

Great shaves to all....

View attachment 1252570

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Great shaves to all....

View attachment 1252570

Nice comparison review. :thumbup:

Great shaves to all....

View attachment 1252570

An update to the shave throw-down between these two excellently made razors. The quality of shave was excellent as both got me to a BBS finale but, long term shave feel I would give the edge to the RR Lupo as both sides had a bit of stubble this morning but, there was a bit more growth on the Karve side and it started showing a bit earlier compared to the Lupo side. Still, I had the shave at about 8:30pm last night and woke up at 5:30 this morning & started to get the slightest of feel on the Karve end at about 7 am with the Lupo following about an hour later. Either way, you’re looking at the minimum of 10+hours of smooth skin feel from two well made tools.

Ultimately, the Lupo .95 gave me a bit more feedback during the shave with what it was doing especially audibly vs. the Karve D. They are both tremendously smooth razors with great balance but, in that area I give the slight nod as well to the Lupo. In fitment & craftsmanship they are nearly identical with the Karve exhibiting one of the smoothest actions between thread coupling and handle that I’ve experienced. Silky smooth honestly. Blade tabs covered vs. blade tabs exposed is a wash for me as it makes no difference but, for those that weigh that into their decision making process the Lupo is the safer and easier razor to work with along the jawline heading towards the ear lobes.

I can’t reiterate enough that both razors are excellent additions to any man’s or woman’s shave den arsenal and are more than capable of delivering the goods in spades. Splitting hairs here but, if you said only one for me to keep, it’s the RR Lupo .95 with a tear rolling down my check for the Karve D sb‘s departure to shave razor oblivion.

Happy shaves, Gents..... :shaving:

It’s the brass.
Threads made of copper and it’s
alloys exhibit very low friction when
sliding and zero galling issues .

“Galling is a common problem in most applications where metals slide while in contact with other metals. This can happen regardless of whether the metals are the same or of different kinds. Alloys such as brass and bronzeare often chosen for bearings, bushings, and other sliding applications because of their resistance to galling, as well as other forms of mechanical abrasion.”

Me keeps only one razor and that
is a Lupo 95 .Wife has the RR BBS
,son will get the RR GC 0.84-P sb & oc ,kept to be given to him as his first
DE razors and myself I solely use
the Lupo 95 .And have one more
Lupo 95 ,as “just in case of...” spare .
For my taste and needs ,
is the perfect razor,in every aspect .
I have nothing more to ask from
a DE razor .
This chapter is closed .

PS :
It might be just my imagination ,
but I think there’s a special “bond”,
If I may say ,something peculiar,
between a man and his only single
razor.
I’m rather unable to describe it
exactly. It’s there every time phrases
like “That’s dad’s razor” ,”granpa’s razor” ,”Dad had this razor for all his life” and such are being spoken ,
usually with the original user to
be absent from this cruel but wonderful world.
Owning and using just a single razor ,
breeds a special legacy around it .

One can inherit a large collection of
razors from granpa ,dad or uncle ,or
even brother.But may never find that
single favorite one ,if there was one as such whatsoever.

Maybe it’s just me being paranoid.

Top Bottom