What's new

Lupo stainless?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am 7 - 10 months away from being contacted by James to finalize mine. Meanwhile, most suggestions tend to be in favour of Blackland than Lupo. Thanks for the extra assurance for the Wolfie ;))

Both the Blackland Blackbird (Stainless & Brass, SB & OC) and the Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB (plus my other Top Tier Razors) are in what I call my 'Big Dog' rotation. 😎

Of course, you need both. ;)

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
As much as it mentally pains me to say, I've gotten better results with the GC .68 OC than I have with Wolfman WR1s (in 2 different blade gaps), the Charcoal Goods Level 2 (SB and OC) or Level 3, Yates M921, Rockwell S6, or Rex Envoy. I think those are all of the "higher end" SS razors I've tried over the past 8 years. I have the DC version of the Lupo on the way because I just tend to have better results with open combs, and I think the Lupo OC would have potential to be a new favorite. I will report back here once I've had a chance to compare all 3 versions.

If you get the best results for you using the RR GC68, that's wonderful. :)

We all have different faces and beards. ;)

I took today off. I'll do my new blade comparison tomorrow: Blackbird OC vs Lupo DC (I think I'll skip the .72OC and first compare the .95SB). Thus far I have achieved closer shaves with my LupoDC than with my Blackbird OC.

I previously owned one of the DLC Lupos as well as the aluminum version. I haven't gotten along with any of the aluminum RR razors I've tried so I think they are just too light weight for my beard. The DLC Lupo worked well enough but I found the coating to make it feel like it had drag, and didn't care terribly for the rounded blade tab covers.

A couple weeks ago I got the new SS Lupo with both .72 and .95 plates. Both shave better than the DLC version as far as I can remember. After a handful of shave with both plates, I think I still have a preference for the GC .68 OC (I've tried every single GC version as well) which feels smoother and gives just as close of a shave with slightly more comfort for me. FWIW I shave daily for work M-F and do a 3 pass shave. I find the Lupo to be better going against the grain than the GC line, probably has to do with the way the design holds the blade so stiff.

As much as it mentally pains me to say, I've gotten better results with the GC .68 OC than I have with Wolfman WR1s (in 2 different blade gaps), the Charcoal Goods Level 2 (SB and OC) or Level 3, Yates M921, Rockwell S6, or Rex Envoy. I think those are all of the "higher end" SS razors I've tried over the past 8 years. I have the DC version of the Lupo on the way because I just tend to have better results with open combs, and I think the Lupo OC would have potential to be a new favorite. I will report back here once I've had a chance to compare all 3 versions.
I only use 68oc and 84sb now, and I also wanted to buy lupo72. There is not much difference between lupo72 and 84sb. What do you think of 84oc relative to 68oc and 84sb?

I only use 68oc and 84sb now, and I also wanted to buy lupo72. There is not much difference between lupo72 and 84sb. What do you think of 84oc relative to 68oc and 84sb?

The SB versions of the GC have been my least favorite of the entire lineup. SB razors in general just don’t work great on my neck and under the jawline because my hair grows in flat against the skin. The .84 OC is more efficient and gets closer than the .68 OC, and it can be just as comfortable but takes a bit more concentration. As someone who shaves every day early in the morning I just prefer the effortlessness of the .68 OC. I would probably go with the .84 OC if I shaved less often.

I didn’t notice a huge difference in comfort or closeness between the .68 OC and .68 Jaws, but the wider gapping of teeth on the Jaws did make it a little more prone to biting around lips and nose and stuff. Same goes for the .84 Jaws, but I noticed the shaves with that one lasted quite a bit longer than the regular OC.

Reactions: Gao
Loaded up a brand new Astra in both my Blackbird OC and my Lupo DC, and did half my face with each (.95SB side only on the Lupo). I really am still on the fence about which I prefer. The 'Bird is easier for me and my face/technique to get a DFS+ with no weepers. However I get to BBS easier with the Lupo, albeit usually a weeper or two on my neck (I think I'm still missing the best angle for this one, whereas with the Blackbird I can shave at pretty much any angle where the handle itself isn't touching my face).

proxy.php

proxy.php

However I get to BBS easier with the Lupo, albeit usually a weeper or two on my neck (I think I'm still missing the best angle for this one, whereas with the Blackbird I can shave at pretty much any angle where the handle itself isn't touching my face).

proxy.php

proxy.php

@Officers Match, great photos! I have kind of made up my mind to pick one between these two. If you were forced to pick only one, which one would you have picked? Thanks!

@Officers Match, great photos! I have kind of made up my mind to pick one between these two. If you were forced to pick only one, which one would you have picked? Thanks!
I know I'm not the guy you asked, but I also have both and an opinion so here it is! I love the blackbird, matter of fact, I have two of them. I have only used the 0.95 for a few shaves, it's very new to me. The major difference between the two is blade feel, the blackbird has more of it, and it is more efficient as a result. Therefore, when I use the blackbird I have to pay a lot of attention, if I do I am rewarded with a marvelously close and comfortable shave. With the lupo, I can err a bit I will still end up with a very close (not as close as the bb) very comfortable shave. If you're a fan of efficient razors the blackbird beats it hand down. If you prefer a bit milder razors the 0.95 is your razor.

I know I'm not the guy you asked, but I also have both and an opinion so here it is! I love the blackbird, matter of fact, I have two of them. I have only used the 0.95 for a few shaves, it's very new to me. The major difference between the two is blade feel, the blackbird has more of it, and it is more efficient as a result. Therefore, when I use the blackbird I have to pay a lot of attention, if I do I am rewarded with a marvelously close and comfortable shave. With the lupo, I can err a bit I will still end up with a very close (not as close as the bb) very comfortable shave. If you're a fan of efficient razors the blackbird beats it hand down. If you prefer a bit milder razors the 0.95 is your razor.
Amazing how much YMMV-factor can occur. I have a hard time drawing blood from my Blackbird OC - really have to have an oops moment. OTOH, I have yet to shave with the Lupo .95SB without a weeper or two.

Amazing how much YMMV-factor can occur. I have a hard time drawing blood from my Blackbird OC - really have to have an oops moment. OTOH, I have yet to shave with the Lupo .95SB without a weeper or two.
It's very surprising how different razors can be perceived by their users. All (3) shaves with my lupo have been blood free, the blackbird takes some attention. Though I haven't had much irritation with the blackbird, just a weeper or two and my face feels very comfortable an hour or two afterwards. I think I will like the lupo even better when I dig out a titanium handle for it tonight.

I know I'm not the guy you asked, but I also have both and an opinion so here it is!
@Sinnbad11, very much appreciate that you took your time to offer insights. It helps a lot because no matter which one I'd end up getting, I know how to treat it on my face to avoid disappointment.

On a side note, I bought blindly several soaps whose scents were total write-off for me when I took the first sniff. I blamed myself for getting them to begin with. With a razor purchase, I wish to avoid regret and heartbreak even if it wouldn't work for me knowing that I did my own due diligence. I brought up the little soap story to tell you how much I appreciate your opinion and that of several other helpful members (David and @Hannah's Dad specially).

Razorock marketing strategy is causing me a headache. The lupo with a bulldog handle goes for 70$, but if you try to buy the head alone, you have buy the baceplate and the top cap separatly and they will cost you 65$. I've noticed the same thing with the game changer. They are intentionally forcing people to buy the whole razor. If one buys the head only and doesn't like it, he has to sell it a lot cheaper than someone else who's selling the whole razor even though the difference is just a few dollars. I'm sure the razor is fantastic and the quality is great, but i'm not a fan of having only two options and both of which are getting the short end of the stick.

Top Bottom