Staff member
Razor: RazoRock Lupo 0.72-SB
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (4)
20210125_195239~2.jpg

Nice shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm giving some serious thought to this DC. On the .95SB side my shaves are lasting longer than my Blackbird OC, at least on the Voskhod blade's I have in both.
YMMV.....

My beard is thick, directionally chaotic and fast growing.

The Lupo 0.95-SB is an excellent razor, especially for the modest cost but, in my opinion, it does not best the Blackbird (SB and, especially, OC), the Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB, the Ikon B1 Standard or the Karve SB-F & OC-F plates in efficiency nor in the elapsed time between shaves.

At least not on my face and beard using Feather, Wizamet, Silver Star and Perma-Sharp blades.

Again, just my opinion and YMMV. 😎

Lupo DC first full shave

> @Rosseforp Ti handle - perfect match, YMMV
>Feather (1)
>BOSC Special Reserve CLW - a top performer made by @aboulton1989
> @GAW9576 olivewood handle knotted super scrubby boar by yours truly

E1C80822-2F8B-4E8F-BC03-C64407227C7E.jpeg

BBS, very little irritation, in spite of too much fooling around with shave 1.
Efficiency - very effective, but no more than my Karve OC-D or my Wunderbars. The OC and SB sides are tied. If I wanted an easy, close 1-pass shave, this razor would be a top choice.
Comfort - OC is better than my GC-84OC or GC-JAWS, similar to the Karve OC-C, or my Gillette Short Comb re-plated in smooth rhodium. SB is at a similar level, but I can't make many useful comparisons.
Aggression - neither side seems to want to bite. I did some sensitive detailing on difficult spots on my neck. No problem!

YMMV.....

My beard is thick, directionally chaotic and fast growing.

The Lupo 0.95-SB is an excellent razor, especially for the modest cost but, in my opinion, it does not best the Blackbird (SB and, especially, OC), the Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB, the Ikon B1 Standard or the Karve SB-F & OC-F plates in efficiency nor in the elapsed time between shaves.

At least not on my face and beard using Feather, Wizamet, Silver Star and Perma-Sharp blades.

Again, just my opinion and YMMV. 😎
Admittedly my comparisons this week had the Bird at a 2 shave disadvantage on the blade (Voskhod). I may put a fresh Astra in each tomorrow morning and compare again.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Admittedly my comparisons this week had the Bird at a 2 shave disadvantage on the blade (Voskhod). I may put a fresh Astra in each tomorrow morning and compare again.

Razor: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (5 and retired)
20210126_213533~2.jpg

The Wizamet Super Iridium blade ameliorated a slight 'roughness' I was feeling with the Lupo 0.95-SB and resulted in a very nice balance of smoothness and efficiency.

If you have any Wizamet Super Iridium to try in the Lupo, your feedback would be appreciated. 😎

Completed 3 shaves each from 72 and 95 versions. Initial impressions (very personal...YMMV):-
1. Smoothness - 72 trumps 95 hands down. More exposure and feedback from 95.
Does 72 trump over Timeless 95, H&S 75 and Karve C and D plates? Probably not. But pretty close. Impressions may change over time.
2. Efficiency - 95 trumps over 72...only by a margin.
How does it (95 and 72) compare with Timeless, H&S and Karve...its almost there. Timeless and Karve D would take a slight edge.
3. Construction - Cap and plate of Lupo is decent enough. However, I find handle of all other 3 to be better constructed and more balanced. But then you are shelling out more for that. Lupo with a timeless handle seems to be a good combination (cant remember the exact handle type of Timeless) for me.

Is Lupo here to stay in my den...yes for now. Lets see how the story evolves.

Stay safe!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Wed, Jan 27th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd generation Lupo SS.72- MFG 2021, excellent mid range, carefree shave, glad I bought it!
Blade: Gillette Silver blue(1) excellent blade, Sharp & Smoooth with with reasonable longevity. My Top 5 Tier blades.
Soap: Tabac, mild flowery scent with excellent lather qualities & nice post shave feel of hydration!
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26 mm knot- excellent lather genertator, cloud like soft tips with good back bone & good scrub + lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on my cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cols water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice light tobaco smoke scent + a dollop of Nivea balm. (-20C humidity low 41)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my RR 2nd gen Lupo .72 with a Gillette GSB.

SOTD, Wed, Jan 27th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a good razor. Would be interested to hear how the Lupo compares to an actual Wolfman.

From my 1/21 shave with the RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB, edited to include my latest Lupo impressions using a Wizamet Super Iridium:

Comparison of the RR Lupo 0.95-SB with the Blackbird and the Wolfman:

Several B&B members have posed the question: How does the 0.95-SB compare to razors priced well above its modest cost (like the Blackbird and the Wolfman)? To answer the question, I shaved with the following rotation from 1/13 - 1/21:

20210127: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB (Wizamet Super Iridium)
20210121: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
20210120: Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB
20210119: Blackland Razors Blackbird OC (Stainless)
20210118: Blackland Razors Blackbird SB (Brass)
20210117: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
20210116: RazoRock Lupo 0.95-SB
20210115: RazoRock GC84-SB
20210114: RazoRock Lupo 0.72-SB
20210113: Wolfman WR2 1.25-SB

Think of two cars, a high-end Mercedes and an mid or better level Kia or Chevy. Both cars have engines, transmissions, doors, etc. and get you from point A to point B. The Mercedes gets you there with a degree of elegance, power and authority that the mid level or better Kia or Chevy may approach, but not quite attain.

To bring it all together:

The Lupo 0.95-SB is a great razor, a very good value and it produces wonderful results.

The Blackbirds and the Wolfman are superb razors, produce excellent results and do so with elegance and authority - at several times the cost of the Lupo.

If you decide to spend the bucks, the Blackbird and the Wolfman will not disappoint. I personally consider both to be worth the expenditure.

If not, the Lupo 0.95-SB will certainly provide you with wonderful shaves at a reasonable cost.

Just my opinion and YMMV. :cool:

Thank you for the comparison David!

In the standoff between Blackbird and Lupo 0.95 SB, would you go so far as to say that the Bird provides a more comfortable shave overall? By 'comfortable' I mean less irritation, tingling, redness, perhaps smoother glide (that slick buttery feeling people rave about) for the lack of better words that evade my mind.

Is your face softer, fresher, silkier, healthier, more rejuvenated after the shave when you use Blackbird?

I'm trying to translate the analogy of 'power and elegance' of the Mercedes into the actual "face feel" when you use Blackbird. It is an extremely difficult task to attempt answering these question, I admit. It is as if I asked David to tell me what a bunch of roses smell like. I have to try the two contenders on my own face to feel the difference.

For Wolfman, it is a different story. When people remain on a waiting list for months and pay over $500 for a razor, it tells me that there is something extraordinary behind it.

It really does come down to personal likes. I put off buying a blackbird forever but recently got a Ti one. The blackbird has more blade feel than the .95 Lupo. More audible feedback as well. I like blade feel, and I like hearing where the whiskers are cutting. It works great with little pressure. It doesn’t give me irritation. When I started wet shaving 3 years ago the pressure aspect was hard to get down. I always got irritation on my neck. Then I got a R41 and thing just clicked for me. I like blade exposure a lot. It just works for me. Without it I have a hard time with pressure and knowing if hairs are being cut after the first pass. Dunno if this helped you at all but Blackland offers a 30 day return. Best way to find out if you like a razor is try it out really

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

In the standoff between Blackbird and Lupo 0.95 SB, would you go so far as to say that the Bird provides a more comfortable shave overall? By 'comfortable' I mean less irritation, tingling, redness, perhaps smoother glide (that slick buttery feeling people rave about) for the lack of better words that evade my mind.

Is your face softer, fresher, silkier, healthier, more rejuvenated after the shave when you use Blackbird?

I'm trying to translate the analogy of 'power and elegance' of the Mercedes into the actual "face feel" when you use Blackbird. It is an extremely difficult task to attempt answering these question, I admit. It is as if I asked David to tell me what a bunch of roses smell like. I have to try the two contenders on my own face to feel the difference.

For Wolfman, it is a different story. When people remain on a waiting list for months and pay over $500 for a razor, it tells me that there is something extraordinary behind it.
A ‘basic’ polish Wolfman will cost around $300 USD. To me, it’s worth every cent.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

In my opinion, the Blackbird and Wolfman razors stand with the very best razors out there. They are worth every dollar spent.

I use a steep angle with minimal pressure and get shaves that are efficient, smooth, effortless and irritation free.

The Blackbird and Wolfman razors glide through my barbed wire whiskers with ease, although credit is shared with the quality of the lather - the razor can't do it alone.

Same with post-shave feel. The razor + technique fall into the "first do no harm" category with, again, the soap/cream playing a huge role in the ultimate result.

Hope this helps. :)

I previously owned one of the DLC Lupos as well as the aluminum version. I haven't gotten along with any of the aluminum RR razors I've tried so I think they are just too light weight for my beard. The DLC Lupo worked well enough but I found the coating to make it feel like it had drag, and didn't care terribly for the rounded blade tab covers.

A couple weeks ago I got the new SS Lupo with both .72 and .95 plates. Both shave better than the DLC version as far as I can remember. After a handful of shave with both plates, I think I still have a preference for the GC .68 OC (I've tried every single GC version as well) which feels smoother and gives just as close of a shave with slightly more comfort for me. FWIW I shave daily for work M-F and do a 3 pass shave. I find the Lupo to be better going against the grain than the GC line, probably has to do with the way the design holds the blade so stiff.

As much as it mentally pains me to say, I've gotten better results with the GC .68 OC than I have with Wolfman WR1s (in 2 different blade gaps), the Charcoal Goods Level 2 (SB and OC) or Level 3, Yates M921, Rockwell S6, or Rex Envoy. I think those are all of the "higher end" SS razors I've tried over the past 8 years. I have the DC version of the Lupo on the way because I just tend to have better results with open combs, and I think the Lupo OC would have potential to be a new favorite. I will report back here once I've had a chance to compare all 3 versions.

Top Bottom