What's new

Lupo .95 vs Gamechanger .84

I have extensively researched the very same question. A large majority of reviewers say that the new Lupo .95 is more efficient than his GC cousin. I haven't tried either. I am being pulled more towards the new generation of SS Lupo. I will try them when more baseplates are back in stock at ItalianBarber.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have extensively researched the very same question. A large majority of reviewers say that the new Lupo .95 is more efficient than his GC cousin. I haven't tried either. I am being pulled more towards the new generation of SS Lupo. I will try them when more baseplates are back in stock at ItalianBarber.

I have the Lupo 0.95-SB on tap for today. :)

In terms of least to most efficient, my personal ranking is Lupo 0.72-SB -> GC84-SB -> Lupo 0.95-SB.

All three of these razors will provide very good results.

The Lupo 0.72-SB is a great daily driver that is still efficient enough to provide very smooth and irritation free results.

The GC84-SB and Lupo 0.72-SB are close in efficiency. The GC84-SB has a slightly different face feel.

The 0.95-SB steps up the efficiency a bit more. Trades a small amount of smoothness for the extra efficiency.

Just my opinion and YMMV. 😎

Last edited:
I have the Lupo 0.95-SB on tap for today. :)
Thanks David! I'm very eager to know what your impression of the Lupo .95 SB will be. Also very interested in the final comparison after Friday's shave when you'd hopefully compare Blackbird and Lupo .95.

Someone on the other forum mentioned a very good point that 'efficiency' and 'smoothness' are two contradictory concepts or qualities when it comes to razors. You can have the most efficient tool but that could well cause bloodshed. For me, it is about finding the right balance between these two attributes. I heard that Blackbird is very efficient but requires 'respect', 'time', 'attention', 'practice' to ensure an irritation-free shave. So we'll see what you have to say in the next couple of days!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thanks David! I'm very eager to know what your impression of the Lupo .95 SB will be. Also very interested in the final comparison after Friday's shave when you'd hopefully compare Blackbird and Lupo .95.

Someone on the other forum mentioned a very good point that 'efficiency' and 'smoothness' are two contradictory concepts or qualities when it comes to razors. You can have the most efficient tool but that could well cause bloodshed. For me, it is about finding the right balance between these two attributes. I heard that Blackbird is very efficient but requires 'respect', 'time', 'attention', 'practice' to ensure an irritation-free shave. So we'll see what you have to say in the next couple of days!
Smooth is good.
Aggressive can be challenging, and painful.

Efficient, to me, is a matter of a 'more or less' scale. A razor can be efficient and still be smooth.

I consider the Blackbird to be efficient and smooth.

Hope this helps. :)

The chart on the official website shows that the intensity of lupo72 is greater than that of gc84. If lupo72 is less efficient than gc84, then its design is not successful.

Does anyone know what is the gap on the Aluminum Lupo. This is the one I have. I really like it in terms of efficiency and smoothness. However, it is too light in weight. I would like to get the stainless steel version, but I am confused on what to get. Which one is closer in terms of shave to the Aluminum one, the Lupo .95 or the .72?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Does anyone know what is the gap on the Aluminum Lupo. This is the one I have. I really like it in terms of efficiency and smoothness. However, it is too light in weight. I would like to get the stainless steel version, but I am confused on what to get. Which one is closer in terms of shave to the Aluminum one, the Lupo .95 or the .72?

Razorock 2nd Generation Lupo .72 is the one that is closer to the Aluminum Lupo 1st generation lupos. I have one and I'm very happy to of bought it.

I have the alluminum lupo abs love it...my lupo .95 arrives tomorrow.
Was thinking it might be too aggressive but from reading these posts, it looks like it may be a winner... i like the GC .84 but still prefer the blackbird and most of all the D plate on my Karve

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The chart on the official website shows that the intensity of lupo72 is greater than that of gc84. If lupo72 is less efficient than gc84, then its design is not successful.
I‘m a longtime fan of the GC84, but I find the Lupo 72 to be noticeably more efficient than the GC84.

To my face, the GC84-SB and the Lupo 0.72-SB were close to each other in efficiency.

YMMV :)

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have the alluminum lupo abs love it...my lupo .95 arrives tomorrow.
Was thinking it might be too aggressive but from reading these posts, it looks like it may be a winner... i like the GC .84 but still prefer the blackbird and most of all the D plate on my Karve

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
You will enjoy it more possibly more than Aluminum model because it is built better with the stainless steel, it will have less audio feedback also because of the stainless is more dense a metal also the 2nd generation Lupo has excellent blade clamp design. After a few shaves you will have dialed it in and it is a carefree, easy going shave is what I'm experiencing with the Lupo .72, I almost bought a new Gold Aluminum model because I like audio feedback but I wanted the Stainless model and was surprized of the upgrades in the Lupo .72 model.
Razorock Lupo .72, 2021 #2.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times.

I’m a big fan of the GC84. I have found both the L72 and L95 to be more efficient than the GC84, but unfortunately the efficiency comes at the expense of comfort, for me. I get much more blade feel from the L72/L95, and I also experienced something with the L95 in particular that I haven’t experienced in some time....weepers! I also felt some slight soreness post-shave from the L95 that even made my next shave (24 hours later, with a different razor) less comfortable than normal.

I thought this might be a fluke, or perhaps a blade issue, but I’ve now used the L95 three times and my experience continues to be the same, unfortunately. I switched back to one of my go-to razors this morning, the Timeless Ti .95 SB, and was reminded what an ideal combination of efficiency AND smoothness feels like from a superb shaver. My WR2 1.15 & 1.25 also reliably deliver that ideal smoothness/efficiency combo for me on a regular basis. The GC84, while not quite as efficient as the Timeless or WR’s, also works well for me. I will probably stick with the L72 for a few more shaves to see if it could have a place in my rotation, but I’ve concluded that the L95 is not a fit for me. I suspect that the excessive blade feel is the main issue.

You will enjoy it more possibly more than Aluminum model because it is built better with the stainless steel, it will have less audio feedback also because of the stainless is more dense a metal also the 2nd generation Lupo has excellent blade clamp design. After a few shaves you will have dialed it in and it is a carefree, easy going shave is what I'm experiencing with the Lupo .72, I almost bought a new Gold Aluminum model because I like audio feedback but I wanted the Stainless model and was surprized of the upgrades in the Lupo .72 model.
View attachment 1211615
Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times.
Thanks so much. I can't wait for the Lupo ss to be available and place the order. Thanks for your message.

I’m a big fan of the GC84. I have found both the L72 and L95 to be more efficient than the GC84, but unfortunately the efficiency comes at the expense of comfort, for me. I get much more blade feel from the L72/L95, and I also experienced something with the L95 in particular that I haven’t experienced in some time....weepers! I also felt some slight soreness post-shave from the L95 that even made my next shave (24 hours later, with a different razor) less comfortable than normal.

I thought this might be a fluke, or perhaps a blade issue, but I’ve now used the L95 three times and my experience continues to be the same, unfortunately. I switched back to one of my go-to razors this morning, the Timeless Ti .95 SB, and was reminded what an ideal combination of efficiency AND smoothness feels like from a superb shaver. My WR2 1.15 & 1.25 also reliably deliver that ideal smoothness/efficiency combo for me on a regular basis. The GC84, while not quite as efficient as the Timeless or WR’s, also works well for me. I will probably stick with the L72 for a few more shaves to see if it could have a place in my rotation, but I’ve concluded that the L95 is not a fit for me. I suspect that the excessive blade feel is the main issue.

I concur with you. I have a Ti blackbird which has much more blade feel than the .95 but for whatever reason, I’m 3 shaves in with the .95 Lupo and keep getting weepers and the irritation you talk about. I’ll be selling my .95 DC plate and keeping the .72.

Top Bottom