What's new

Lupo. 58 or Alpha Outlaw. 56

Anyone who has both or either of these and is willing to comment?
I'm looking to explore more mild shaving machines, that are capable of delivering an efficient daily shave.

I have used a Lupo. 72 and found it a bit too much for everyday use. Have a ds cosmetics s9 that I can use daily and delivers great results... But I feel like I enjoy the shave of my Rocket HD more. It's easy going, I won't cut myself but it could be juuuust a bit more efficient.

Which of the two razors would best be suited for that?

I've also been eyeing the Henson medium but... Mmm mmm, not sure about the locked angle.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
I have a Lupo 58.
It's nice and mild, feels for me smooth but required a learning curve for me.
On my face it feels similar to a merkur 34c or a Yaqi Adjustable concerning smoothness.
They all deliver similar results.
I had the medium henson but i didn't like, didn't feel smooth for me.
I personally prefer the merkur and the Yaqi over the Razorock but they are close.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Milder??
Shocked Patrick Stewart GIF

Haha, I knew you would be dissapointed. I do apologise. I haven't bought any yet, quickly - bribe me with a Timeless. 95.

I don't know man, but I really do enjoy my Rocket. It's insanely comfy.

PS. I've been seeing lots of likes and feedback from you in Henson topics. Not the most aggressive razor, am I right? Thats right,I am staking you. 🤪 (I have even read your posts on the Australian b&b counterpart - there's no hiding from me 😁)

P.S. We should be together too
Sincerely yours, Stan. 🎵🎵

The Henson medium is very mild IMO but for me definitely not efficient. If you are OK with aluminum, the aluminum Lupo is pretty good and IIRC has very similar geometry to the stainless Lupo .58. FWIW I prefer the aluminum Lupo to the Henson medium as it's definitely more efficient for me. (I had an aluminum Lupo but sold it on the BST as I seem to prefer more "aggressive" razors.)

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I don't know man, but I really do enjoy my Rocket. It's insanely comfy.
No problem, I would love to make you a suggestion, but as you know I really don't know jack in the mild range of razor.
I recently fiddled around with this Yaqi Sentinel Wolfman clone, it seriously made me think about getting a Wolfman WR2.
This weird razor has a huge gap, potential for injury is there, but ... you don't injure yourself, it's quite mild. It's not hyper-efficient, though.
Stando has mild razors, the Lambda Athena... there are options for sure. Some harder to get than others.

Ah well. Guess people can suggest you some fitting vintage design you can get for 10 bucks or so on a flea market or eBay.
I will closely monitor this, mild but still efficient isn't that easy to combine.

@ClumsyBull might have an idea, maybe the Athena is just what you are looking for! :)

Lambda Athena
The Athena is on my watchlist. But 190's a bit much for me to be honest.
The overlander, which is cheaper option than the Athena is also of interest.

The Lupo and outlaw in turn are a bit more affordable. Then again if a Merkur 34 is similar in feel and efficiency, perhaps 40 euro's is all I need to spend. It also happens to be the favorite razor of Kensurfs, the most suave youtube shaving reviewer I've subscribed to.

I am starting to think I have too much time on my hands.

Let me add the Merkur requires less learning than the Lupo.
And by the way the 34 in Gold looks stunning. I forgot the Mühle R89 also is similar but a bit milder. (just used it today and received a perfect bbs++ shave)..

FWIW, I'm fairly new at DE shaving (I only started in Feb 2022), but I have found that I tend to prefer what many refer to as more "aggressive" razors. The key to this for me was learning proper technique: No pressure and short strokes (particularly on my neck). Once I got this down, I found I enjoy more "aggressive" razors because they require fewer passes and buffing to get a really good result. For me, milder razor designs are more picky about the proper shave angle and might actually lead to irritation from multiple passes. (The one exception to this general rule for me is the [sadly discontinued] Winning razor, which manages somehow to be efficient despite being mild.)

FWIW, I'm fairly new at DE shaving (I only started in Feb 2022), but I have found that I tend to prefer what many refer to as more "aggressive" razors. The key to this for me was learning proper technique: No pressure and short strokes (particularly on my neck). Once I got this down, I found I enjoy more "aggressive" razors because they require fewer passes and buffing to get a really good result. For me, milder razor designs are more picky about the proper shave angle and might actually lead to irritation from multiple passes. (The one exception to this general rule for me is the [sadly discontinued] Winning razor, which manages somehow to be efficient despite being mild.)
Good to know what ypur skin wants and what not. I'm the opposite. My skin doesn't care about multiple passes but reacts quickly to more aggressive razors with little nicks, especially at the end of moustache area and around. My Adams apple.

Hi there @Shaun asleep if you enjoy the S9 and wish for a hint more efficiency without any increase in aggression, why don't you give the GameChanger .84 Open Comb a go? It has the exact shave profile of the .84 SB which is the "inspiration" for the S9, but has a very slight hint more blade and a couple of notches more efficiency? The LUPO is configured with a flattish base plate, meaning that you get more blade feel than a similarly gapped and exposed razor. At least that's my experience so far..

GameChanger .84 Open Comb
Mmm, I actually have a ds cosmetics x2 with a. 68 gap and for the life of me, I can't stand the feeling of the teeth. They're too pointy, I prefer the softer open comb of a fatip or a new improved. Not sure if Razorock's are equally sharp, but they dont look rounded and bent inwards like the two oc razors I do like.
I gave up on an IKON ocd because of too pointy teeth as well.

Perhaps I should just try a fatip oc. Have tried FOCS and though it was comfy the slant didn't really win me over.

I did get another great shave with the s9 this morning. Can't use any (push down) force though or it'll bite me.

Perhaps patience is required. I'm waiting on that gibbs replica...
But I hate waiting. 😁

Actually, I found the RR OC to be far smoother than the FATIP despite the way it looks. @Iridian can probably share his thoughts with you on it. In fact, RR has probably the best OC in the market in terms of comfort. Just don't use the JAWS.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Actually, I found the RR OC to be far smoother than the FATIP despite the way it looks. @Iridian can probably share his thoughts with you on it. In fact, RR has probably the best OC in the market in terms of comfort. Just don't use the JAWS.
I think Shaun will have no problem with the teeth being bitey, but the added blade feel of the .84 OC is significant. It is also noticeably more efficient, but if the DS9/GC84SB isn't entirely worry free shaving, the .84 OC definitely isn't milder.

Gibbs? Gibbs isn't even in NCIS anymore. Make of that what you want! :)

I just ordered a Rockwell 6c, just to counter my boredom and bridge the Gibbs replica arrival. I also did it because @Iridian absolutely hates it. 🤪🤪🤪

I read alot of great reviews (Errol's amongst them) and I'll have the option of adjusting the aggression level. Choose Zamak because I'm not sure I'll like it and this way I won't loose too much €€ if it's a dud. If I dont like it I'll move it on to my brother in law.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
@Shaun asleep , would using your Rocket HD with a slightly sharper blade or slightly thinner lather give you that bump in efficiency your daily shave needs?

I mean, yes, obviously you need a pantheon of Lambda safety razors, a Merkur 34G, a thieves’ den of Alpha Outlaws, and get yourself titanium Tatara Masamune and Muramasa (just use on low settings) before their price hike on the 30th of September, and maybe whisper to Saint Nicholas about a good American who’s not quite good enough to deserve a Merkur 37G…, but maybe a thinner lather for your Rocket HD shaves first?

Why aren’t we suggesting a gold-plated Gillette Aristocrat or a Blackland Era SB Level 4?

Top Bottom