What's new

Lunar Eclipse

strop

Now half as wise
OK, all you real photographers out there. Any advice/tips on how to photograph tomorrow night's eclipse.

this is from last year's eclipse, April 2014.
D4, 600mm + 2X, f/8, ISO 6400, 1/4 sec, tripod.
cropped from about 1/4 of the frame.
it's virtually impossible to get a truly sharp image during totality without a motorized tracker.

proxy.php

strop

Now half as wise
Thanks!. That's the kind of starting point I was looking for. It may be a moot point, though, because of the cloud cover. The longest lens I have is a 300mm for my K200, but I want to give it a try if the clouds clear.

google looney 11 rule for shooting the moon. I'm going to try a couple different things tonight one zoom and one very wide angle for multiple captures

Thanks!. That's the kind of starting point I was looking for. It may be a moot point, though, because of the cloud cover. The longest lens I have is a 300mm for my K200, but I want to give it a try if the clouds clear.

in that case, look for interesting foreground subject, like top of a tall building or tower.
in eastern time zone, moon will be about 30-40 deg above horizon, so do the math on foreground item height and distance.
i use the lens wide open or third of a stop down and a remote release or timer.

google looney 11 rule for shooting the moon. I'm going to try a couple different things tonight one zoom and one very wide angle for multiple captures

lunar f/11 works with sunlit moon.
multiple captures are fun, too.
the arc may not be much more than 50 degrees, so medium-wide lens might work.

i use the lens wide open or third of a stop down.../QUOTE]

for a lens that is nominally 300/f5.6, then f/5.6 is the widest aperture.
'one third of a stop down' means one click smaller opening, which would probably be f/6.3.
from f/5.6, a full stop down is f/8.

A better explanation is here.

going down a bit from wide open can provice a sharper image. you definitely want to spot meter if you are not going full manual. I have found it helpful to shoot brackets as well.

strop

Now half as wise
I really appreciate you guys dealing with my beginner questions. I understand the basic concepts, but the terminology isn't all there yet!

Unfortunately we have dense cloud cover and it has just started to rain:angry::cursing::crying::thumbdown

it rained here, then clouds cleared enough to watch it.
lots of moisture and haze, however.
will post a couple pics shortly.
cheers.

ok, here is best i could do with the haze we have down here.
progression, from about 35%, to 90%, to approx 98%.
it's still dark now, actually, but the haze was getting thicker, the light dimmer and the bugs more annoying, so I came in.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom