What's new

Luecke2326's True Shave Journal

Thank you guys, he was the best birthday present I could think to ask for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, very cute baby boy! (Must take after mom). Congratulations.

If you are at all interested, I made some of my special "no more monkey butt" salve. I can send you a nice tin full and maybe some soaps (shave not baby). I learned to make this stuff when I worked at the hospital NICU...treats and prevents the dreaded monkey butt.

Wow, very cute baby boy! (Must take after mom). Congratulations.

If you are at all interested, I made some of my special "no more monkey butt" salve. I can send you a nice tin full and maybe some soaps (shave not baby). I learned to make this stuff when I worked at the hospital NICU...treats and prevents the dreaded monkey butt.

What a generous offer, we are always looking for some more natural alternatives/ home made! I'll pm you. Thank you [emoji4]

Razor: SSA 5/8 Full Hollow
Shaving Soap: @CBLindsay Lavender Chill
Shaving Brush: SOC Boar
Aftershave: Lilac Vegetal
Balm: Nivea Cooling

We had some friends coming in from out of town to meet our son for the first time, so I wanted to look refreshed. I've been helping my wife out at night with our little guy and working long hours at work, so I haven't shaved in 4 days! I tried out my new Translucent Arkansas hone for the first time, and it was a nice improvement over my 15K Welsh Slate. I didn't use honing oil, only water, but I have some oil on the way. I was using the CrOx pasted side of my strop after the Welsh Slate(I still need more practice with these) and was achieving shave worthy, but slightly harsh edges. This edge was very smooth and keen, it was the best edge I've personally produced. I'm excited to see how the Surgical Black Arkansas affects my edges, I should have it later this next week.
The shave soap Mr. Lindsay sent me a few weeks back is an amazing performer! I loaded my SOC for over a minute and slowly face lathered. The lavender scent and slight cooling effect was very nice especially with Pandora's Relaxation Radio playing in the background. The shave went really great except that the edge was so smooth and comfortable that my technique lapsed for a split second during the WTG pass and the SSA's lethal Swedish point took a slice out of my left cheek(@Polarbeard you know what I'm talking about)..... I doctored myself up with my old friend DR. Stempic Pencil and finished up the shave XTG, & ATG. Even with the cut to my cheek, I'd still give the shave a BBS- rating. The Alum burned only where I cut myself which was expected. I finished up with a generous splash of The VEG followed by a little Nivea Cooling. Have a great evening everyone!

proxy.php

To me it's obvious that what Winston Churchill meant with "Blood sweat toil and tears" were the tribulations of the brotherhood of straight razor shavers.

To me it's obvious that what Winston Churchill meant with "Blood sweat toil and tears" were the tribulations of the brotherhood of straight razor shavers.

Definitely! If I told most friends of mine, "man I had a great shave with my freshly honed straight razor last night, even though I cut myself...." I'm almost absolutely certain the response of, "why don't you just go buy a Mach 3 and you won't cut yourself, stop making things so complicated." Where as I post my shave results to B&B and great folks like you Arne offer support even when failure is present. One must fail first to learn.

Definitely! If I told most friends of mine, "man I had a great shave with my freshly honed straight razor last night, even though I cut myself...." I'm almost absolutely certain the response of, "why don't you just go buy a Mach 3 and you won't cut yourself, stop making things so complicated." Where as I post my shave results to B&B and great folks like you Arne offer support even when failure is present. One must fail first to learn.

I'm not supportive. I'm just your next door sadist.:a6:

Congratulations to you Matt! Добро пожаловать Nathan! Очень приятно :)

As for your Trans Ark- I have found arks are hard to manage on water. A water soluble "oil" like Smith's or Ballistol works well and not too messy. If you do use oil just wash the stone off (and our razor) thoroughly the oil will not penetrate the stone as it is very dense.

Dear Matt I wish to express my sincere apologies. I didn't read the earlier posts so I didn't know that you just had become demoted to being the second most important person in your life. I only got one child a son. He is the light in my life and has been since the day he was born. His mother felt the same for him until the day she passed away. I send my heartfelt congratulations to you and your wife. I can't imagine anything better than being a parent happening in a person's life.

Dear Matt I wish to express my sincere apologies. I didn't read the earlier posts so I didn't know that you just had become demoted to being the second most important person in your life. I only got one child a son. He is the light in my life and has been since the day he was born. His mother felt the same for him until the day she passed away. I send my heartfelt congratulations to you and your wife. I can't imagine anything better than being a parent happening in a person's life.

Thank you so much from Iryna & myself, blessings to you my friend!

Congratulations to you Matt! Добро пожаловать Nathan! Очень приятно :)

As for your Trans Ark- I have found arks are hard to manage on water. A water soluble "oil" like Smith's or Ballistol works well and not too messy. If you do use oil just wash the stone off (and our razor) thoroughly the oil will not penetrate the stone as it is very dense.

Thanks so much he's been awesome!

Well, I've been busy and a bit stressed out with the new baby, so I had not shaven for 6 days straight... I rectified my mistake yesterday! Thankfully the little guy is letting us sleep a little more these last few days.

For me, anything over 2 days growth is an absolutely flawless slam dunk shave. My skin typically doesn't approve of daily shaves, so I'm an every other day guy. Though the occasion arises that I do need to shave daily such as at this moment I'm looking to change careers. I'm going to switch from being a beer salesman to hopefully a commercial or industrial sales position. I've decided it would be good to attempt daily shaves, it would be better to be on a more regular schedule even though most things in life currently are very irregular. Iryna and I are hoping I'll find something local that won't require us to uproot, especially with a newborn baby. Pray for me friends, that I'll find a nice job that will support my family and provide us much needed benefits.

Well yesterday's shave:

Razor: C.V. Heljestrand MK #31
Strop: Red Imp
Brush : M&F Blonde Badger 22mm
Soap: Tabac (For Tabactober)
Aftershave: Vintage Old Spice (ship captain)
Alum: RazoRock
Balm: Nivea Cooling
Talc: Vintage Old Spice
Cologne: Vintage Old Spice (My late Grandfather's)

I touched up my MK31 on my newly acquired Trans Ark, water only. I lathered up the Tabac into its usual ultra smooth and slick consistency. I actually made a video of this shave, but I managed to give myself a nick on my chin on the WTG pass which required the use of the stempic pencil, so I decided not to post it to YouTube out of embarrassment.... Really though the shave was pretty great overall. I nicked a bump on my chin and lost a little blood, but other than that it was a great shave. The XTG pass was smooth and easy with nothing to report. I did a a little clean up on my jaw line and cheeks near my ears. Overall it was a BBS- due to the nick on my chin! Best wishes for a nice end to the weekend!
proxy.php

Top Bottom