What's new

Lucky Scent's Recommendations For Me

I've grown a little bored with the scents I have sitting on my shelf. I also ran into the issue that I just don't seem to have a good scent for everyday wear in the Spring or Summer. Going to the local shops (Sephora, Nordstroms, Macy's, etc.) becomes too overwhelming at times, and I don't like feeling pressured by the people behind the counter. I heard good things about Lucky Scent's fragrance fittings. You give them some of the scents you enjoy and what you are looking for, and they'll customize five 5 mL samples.

My feedback during the checkout was that I enjoy many of the classic scents that get mentioned around here a lot - Creed Aventus, Terre d'Hermes, Eau De Baux, Spice Bomb, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather and Creed Green Irish Tweed. I'm interested if any of you gentlemen have any experience with these scents. I'll list the scents they provided, based on the direction I provided.

Creed Aventus - Bleu Satin by MDCI. (This fragrance bears some resemblance to Creed Aventus, but takes its own, unique identity. Pure sophistication)

Tuscan Leather - Godolphin by Parfums de Marly (Like Tuscan Leather with a twist. It's interesting to compare the two scents)

No baseline provided - Layton by Parfums de Marly (a niche, masculine classic)

No baseline provided - Soleil d'Italie by Mancera (A new release. Clean, fresh, masculine)

Terre d'Hermes - French Affair by Ex Nihilo (Has some of the DNA of Terre d'Hermes at first, but then develops into something even more complex and sophisticated)

Bonus Sample - Frank 2 (An easy-to-wear [almost soapy] clean masculine scent with some spice)

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the scents that they picked out. I can't say I dislike any of them, and wouldn't mind having a bottle of everything they sent. Part of my feedback to them was that I didn't want department store scents; something unique and intriguing that, when people smell, it wouldn't be something they probably have ever sniffed before. However, most of these samples are all around the $200-$300 price range. May be a while before I pull the trigger on any of them.

Dang, I've never heard of any of their recommendations. Are they like ultra high end or something??

I need to expand my horizons.

The biggest problems that I found with Luckscent's samples is that they're too small and wand applicator just doesn't cut it. You really need a bit more juice, sprayed, to get a true sampling of the fragrance.

The biggest problems that I found with Luckscent's samples is that they're too small and wand applicator just doesn't cut it. You really need a bit more juice, sprayed, to get a true sampling of the fragrance.
Indeed. That is the biggest complaint I have in all of this. To get an adequate amount out and onto my body to really get a feel for the scent I need to dump it out. By doing so I'd probably only get 2-3 uses out of each sample.

While I don't have experience with all of the scents you mentioned I have tried and own several of them. To avoid the department store scents you've ventured into the niche segment. What you'll get here is less synthetic smelling fragrances that'll usually have a bit more staying power with quite a bit more going on. Yes, they definitely cost more but depending on the maker they don't always have to. Look for colognes at places like fragrancenet, fragrancex and maxaroma for some pretty decent discounts that can make many of these scents affordable. Often times you'll use less of these as well since they are stronger.

So back to it.

Creed Aventus - A really nice aquatic citrus scent that is appealing to most that try it. I won't buy this one myself for the sole reason that there are several really well done clones. I don't want to spend $400 for a fragrance and smell extremely similar to someone that spent $50. For example, the Zara Vibrant Leather is an excellent one. I know that the name doesn't sound anything like it would be an aquatic but it's an excellent match in the $50 range. Maybe the best one I've found. Another really well done one is Armaf Club De Nuit Intense Man EDT at an even lower price point. I usually wear this one to work as it's well liked, not a department store scent and it's not offensive. I have had Aventus and smelled and worn these side by side. Aventus is better but not anywhere close to $350 better.

Terre d'Hermes - This is an excellent woody citrus scent and a must have. This a a classic and a must have. You can try it by walking into any Sephora store and asking for a sample. Their policy is that they will give you three samples a day. Then if you like it buy it online at a much cheaper price. That being said I do purchase other things from Sephora that my wife needs to offset the free samples they give me. They are very kind about it though.

Eau De Baux - This is a L'Occitane store scent. A 3.4 ounce bottle is $50 making it an excellent value. The scent is exceptionally well done and very affordable. If you've ever smelled the PannaCrema Nuavia Blue soap it's in that wheelhouse. Hard to describe but it's definitely worth purchasing. Not sure how to get a sample of this one but you can try it at the local L'Occitane that can usually be found in the nicer malls.

Spice Bomb - See Sephora for this as one of your three samples. Nice, but I never bought it as it's a department store cologne. So back to the I want to smell a bit more unique thing. It does smell really great though.

Tom Ford Tuscan Leather - I wasn't a huge fan of this one. I like their Oud Wood better but it doesn't last on my skin. The Tom Ford everyone seems to like it the Tobacco Vanille but I prefer the Frank Boclet Tobacco over it as it's a warmer more vanilla forward offering that to me is amazing.

Creed Green Irish Tweed - This one is well liked but it gives me a headache whenever I smell it. So it's not for me.

MDCI Bleu Satin - I have a sample of this one that I'm working through. I really like it as it smells great, bright,crisp and fresh but not cheap or synthetic. The problem it that it doesn't really have any staying power. If it did I would likely buy a bottle. MDCI has an outstanding sample program where you pick five of their scents that they send you 12ml sample bottles of for something like $90 delivered. Then if you want to buy a full bottle they'll apply the price you paid for the samples toward that purchase. A really nice way to get to try them. Their L’homme aux gants is one I'm quite fond of as a woody vanilla type of offering.

Parfums de Marly - they make some decent scents but I haven't really spent any time with them. I have a sample of one and it's ok. Maybe I chose the wrong one but it didn't wow me.

Mancera - I have one called Cedrat Boise from Mancera which is a very nice citrus scent. The cologne has some nice staying power and I really like this one in the summertime. I would be willing to try some of their other offerings as well. They can be very affordable if you know where to find them and the scent lasts really well on my skin.

Top Bottom