What's new

Lucky husband here! Warning: long read!

I agree you are a lucky husband lol your wife hooked you up pretty well!

I just started myself and I can say the biggest improvement in my technical that helps my shave work better is learning to get the lathering right. I haven't had any irritation but every day my lather gets better and my shave get better. Of course starting out with MWF didn't make learning to lather easy on me lol.

I think many people worry about the shaving technique, I find keeping the razor at about 30 degrees going with the grain and not putting much pressure on the head works perfect. I haven't had any nicks, cuts, or irritations yet.

Some things I've read that might help you beside a good balm are try to not use hot water. Shaving after you finish a shower should soften up your face plenty. I think you can use warm water not hot to prep your soap and brush and try cold-ish water on your face before and after you shave. I'm pretty sure the hot water will open your pores up making your face less smooth and letting anything that can irritate you in.

With the shaving only go with the grain of your beard. When you just have a bit of beard growth map your face by rubbing two fingers around your jaw, chin & neck. Shave in the directions that are smooth not rough since it changes in a few places on your face.

To find the right cutting angle I read somewhere to lay the head of the razor flat against your face above your beard with the handle pointing strait out and slowly bring the handle down as your shave down your face, when you feel the blades cutting you hair look at the angle the handle is from your face, that is most likely a good angle to start with.

The last thing is to put on plenty of lather and make sure it's nice and rich. Don't worry about taking off your beard in one pass, it's perfectly fine to add more lather and do a second or even third finish pass if you need to. It will irritate you a heck of a lot less than pushing down or shaving over where you just shaved off lather.

I'd say give those a try and then the improvement might be enough that you can even shave every day and use aftershaves ;)

"I still need the soothing relief that only alcohol seems to provide"

Me too! Oh, you probably mean after shaving... never mind.

Your wife sounds like a really great person. As mentioned by Elder Scrolls, she went to a lot of trouble making sure your kit passed muster. We all told her you'd be thrilled just that she made the effort but she certainly succeeded in putting together a top drawer kit for you. Enjoy!

You are one lucky guy! I've read your wife's postings, and it's clear she is a very good person. I noticed your statement that you are going to attend Oklahoma State. If you should find yourself in Oklahoma City, there's a brick and mortar shaving shop you should visit. It is called Carwin's Shave Shop, and it is located adjacent to the North Woods home furnishings store near the south end of the Shops at Classen Curve, on North Classen, just west of Western, and a couple of blocks south of the Whole Foods store. Welcome to both of you for joining Badger & Blade. This is an excellent resource, and a fun place to visit and to post.

It's much better to _avoid_ razor burn, than to _treat_ razor burn. Suggestions (pick either of 1 or 2, not both):

2. Put some hair conditioner -- "silky" or "smooth", not "extra body" -- on your beard a few minutes before lathering. Astroglide or silicone-based personal lubricant also works.

I always use some hair shampoo on my beard when showering. Lather up my hair then rub some on my face and let it stay there while I shower, washing it off last. This seems to be the best way to hydrate my beard if I am going to shave right after showering (which I always do). If you use a conditioner after your shampoo substitute that for straight shampoo.

On days where I shave later or earlier than I shower I will wash my face (twice in a row) using a glycerine based soap such as Pear or Nutragena. This is not as good as the hair shampoo on the face during a shower method but better than just splashing water on and having at it :001_smile

proxy.php
proxy.php

Oh that wasn't too long of a read. Welcome to Badger and Blade! I think you'll come to love wetshaving.

I second the recommendation for using glycerin in your lather. I started with the same kit as you, and while the soap is a good one (VDH Luxury my favorite soap so far, out of about 6 that I've tried) I really like adding some glycerin USP in my lather. I put in a few milliliters and it makes the lather nice and thick! You can pick some up at Wal-mart near the supplements. It comes in a clear, viscous syrup reminiscent of a transparent, watery honey. :drool:

Also, when you get razor burn, (I got it really bad for my first few shaves) witch hazel is a great alcohol-free astringent, and it feels surprisingly soothing! I'm not sure what brand I use, but Thayers is great.

I got the acne-like bumps on my neck when I used cartridge razors, but my complexion is much more clear since I started! It seems like you're starting almost the exact same way that I did. The "no pressure" concept is pretty tough to grasp, really. It took me a few months before I really "got it" but once you do, your first no-weeper shave is like a milestone.

If you're anything like me, in a few weeks, every day will be your best shave ever, because they keep getting better! I picked up a shavette (disposable blade straight razor) for ten bucks at Sally Beauty Supply, and shaving with that thing twice improved my safety razor technique truckloads! Your mileage may vary, of course. :thumbup:

This is a little off-topic, but I like how your wife wrote, "Love, Your wife" at the end of her message inside the cover of "Gourmet Shaving." I love when my wife writes that. It always makes me feel so happy about being with her. I hope you two have a wonderful, fruitful marriage! My wife still says that kinda stuff after three years and I love it!
:biggrin1:

Welcome! I'm only a month or so into this myself, but am just now starting to get the hang of things. Good luck, and ask a lot of questions. Everyone here has so far proven to be helpful, encouraging, and kind.

Top Bottom