What's new

Lucite Ever Ready

Greetings gentlemen. I am looking to restore this brush.

My plan is to use SpartanFan's method: "The handle gets hand sanded with sand paper through 1500 grit then a rubbing compound polish, then a polishing compound polish, the Maas polish, then Flitz polish."

Does anyone know of any issues or problems with applying any of these steps to the clear lucite material? I haven't seen a lot of these types brush restorations in my searches through the threads.

Thanks Gents!

I started my 1st restore on a brush similar to that and I made a mistake.

The brush was an octagonal amber base and I really liked it.

It had a few marks, small gouges and scuff so I figured I would sand them away with a fine grit wet-or-dry.
I did that quite well, but it left the handle lopsided. One side of the octagon would be a lot shorter than its 2 adjoining sides.

Live and learn.

So my advice would be to pay close attention so that you don't take too much off and ruin the dimensions.

Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.
Brushes are works of art.

If you are talking lucite I would start at 1500 grit and go up through 4k before any polishing. This may not apply to brushes so I may be way off, but thats the general rule of polishing plastics.

Keeping them cool and wet are keys to sanding plastics as well, once it starts to warm or gum your finished.

Lucite is tricky, it is soft and everything shows. Decide whether you really want all the imperfections out or just a nice polish with some nicks to show off its pedigree. I use buffing wheels and compound on lucite, will sand with a progression of grits if necessary, but with restraint.

What you describe will work fine if you are careful, but the design, with those concave sides, will be easy to make lopsided if you take off too much plastic.

I love the lucite handles, good luck and enjoy.

Thanks guys. I think I may just lightly buff and polish and see how it comes out. I certainly don't want to damage it.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to post progress pics this weekend. :thumbup1:

surprisingly good performance from this Ever Ready N-500 fine nylon split tip bristle brush I leaving it stock it cleaned up real nice!View attachment 146989 - Blade Boy

Nice! :thumbup1: I haven't tried nylon bristles. I just recently tried boar hair with another Ever-ready I picked up, and my lather was terrible. :thumbdown Different techniques for different brush materials I guess. So far I have had the most lathering success with Pure Badger, believe it or not.

Top Bottom