What's new

Luc shaving journal

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
yay, pics :biggrin:

Youre getting quite a collection of straights together - any favourites?

I think I prefer a 6/8 blade. I still want to play with my other 5/8 and 11/16...

The Pratical is my top one so far!

Hey, is this where all the newbies are? I just did my first shave last night. Not bad, only one nick under my nose. overall pretty smooth once I got the angle right. I only did with the grade since I get ingrown hairs easily but for a first shave I would say it was a good one! Good luck to the rest of the newbies. I haven't stropped with newspaper, I do the canvas and leather and do about 40 passes on each side.

Hey, is this where all the newbies are? I just did my first shave last night. Not bad, only one nick under my nose. overall pretty smooth once I got the angle right. I only did with the grade since I get ingrown hairs easily but for a first shave I would say it was a good one! Good luck to the rest of the newbies. I haven't stropped with newspaper, I do the canvas and leather and do about 40 passes on each side.

Hi, Neodad. Congrats on the first shave, and welcome to the B&B. We're looking forward to more from you, as your learning curve continues.

Luc

Staff member

Congrats on your straight shave mate! You could include newspaper stropping in your routine but canvas/leather is enough!

Congrats on your straight shave mate! You could include newspaper stropping in your routine but canvas/leather is enough!

yeah, newspaper is just a stop-gap solution until leather arrives, its not nearly as good

Luc

Staff member
Yup, 19 this morning.

I used a straight that Ambrose restored! Small blade but large. I still need to work my angle but everything went well. I'm starting to get used to do my ATG pass (SW to NE and SE to NW).

I will use Ambrose's picture but I shall take some this week-end

attachment.php

Luc

Staff member
I used my Paul Reul this morning as I need to play more with the angle (keep it right!).

attachment.php

I realised that my other razors that I used, expect the John Watts, are 1/4 also... They don't sound like the Ceerucerrauh (Yesterday) when I shave. That's even more interesting.

I guess I will need to push the Ceerucerrauh back on the first spot in my rotation... :biggrin:

This morning shave (20), great. I'm starting to have bigger BBS patches. My throat needs work by my cheeks are getting very very smooth. Almost stubble free!

My chin is BBS except two lines where the jawline is. I will work more over there. This morning shave took around 45 minutes. As I am still getting this right, I'm not too worried. Hopefully, I will be able to take it down to 20-25 minutes one day. I will then be able to switch from a DE to a straight!

That straight was the last straight honed by Buckler and he did a great job. Ninja sharp!:a14::shuriken:

Luc

Staff member
I like having my razors ready to be used. I understand that a freshly stropped razor is better but I'll give it a go and see if I like it better...

I did all my razors, checking the blade while stropping and you can really feel the edge getting sharper. 2 laps can change a lot!

Ambrose
image.php
sent me a very intresting razor... The Ceerucerrauh sounds different when stropping but that blade is also ninja sharp! I can't wait for next Saturday to try it again...

Luc

Staff member
No, it was not shave 21 this morning, I used my DE but I did an experiment.

I tried to shave the same way I shave with my straight. My passes with a DE vs. a straight are a bit different has I can't get the right angle all the time with the straight. I thought, instead of adjusting the straight (which is getting closer anyways) what if, I was still able to get a bbs with my adjusted passes using a DE?

If I can get a BBS with the DE that way, I know the BBS will be possible with the straight. Passes where simple N-S, E-W/W-E, S-N.

Result, no BBS but DFS. I will work on those passes as I can push my angle a bit with the straight/DE so it might get better!

Luc

Staff member
Well, Saturday again. I got the Ceerucerrauh out of the box and used her.

Time: 30 minutes (Shower/Prep/Shave/Post-shave routine)
Ceerucerrauh 5/8 - 1/4 straight
Omega shaving cream
Muhle Silvertip
Bravas (Japanese A/S)
Kyle's Prep (of course)

I usually take between 20 and 25 minutes with a DE so I'm getting very close of switching to a straight during the week. As I like to do this progressively, it will probably be one weekday at the time! I won't throw the DE out... yet!

Now, the shave. Last week I noticed a different sound while stropping and shaving. Still there. My technique wasn't that good or I wasn't confident enough as I did 3 passes and I barely removed any stubble. I was trying to play with the angle a bit to get her to sing!

This week, no more play! I got a much closer shave. She sounds more like Aretha Franklin than Marilyn Monroe. My technique is still not perfect, I need to work on my passes now. The big issue that I have is my pass XTG. I have problems twisting my wrists to shave from bottom to top towards my ears.

I think I'm going to do a different set of passes with the DE to see how I can get a BBS without a reverse Gillette Slide. If I can get a BBS with the DE, than I can get one with the straight.

Back to the shave. I tried to stick to my DE passes, I was able to for most of the shave. Surprisingly, the chin is getting there quicker than my throat.

I will try a different set of passes tomorrow, it might be easier.

Fantastic!! sounds like you are making progress. That heavy lady wont sing very loud for you friend. I am always experimenting on different directions of passes to achieve even better shaves than the last. Every straight shave I get only gets better than the last. The trick is to use it :biggrin:

Luc

Staff member
So might not sing loudly but she got guts!

Luc

Staff member
A little step backward. I don't know what happened this morning. It took around 75 minutes to do the shower/prep/shave. I guess I took it very slowly.

I used the John Watts this morning.

Face lathering with my supermixed soap and Muhle Silvertip. Bravas AS

I got a great shave. A couple of patches still, I think I should work on those passes a bit more. I will give it a go with the DE this week.

I watched the videos by Jockey's yesterday and he has an interesting 'Straight Gillette Slide'. I don't think I'm there yet...

Today will be stropping day!

Luc

Staff member
I tried those new passes this morning. I can get something that's very close with the DE but nothing as close as BBS.

I'm having problems doing a different angle than up or down at the base of my neck under the ears. I tried using my left on the right side, right on the right, nah, doesn't feel natural and easy.

I used 'The Pratical' this morning. I have a BBS shave on the cheeks, chin and under the nose but not the neck. It looks all right but I will still need to work on it or maybe do a 4th pass on the neck only...

I will think about it on how I could do my passes on the neck...

Overall, from shave 1 to 23, it's been a great journey. Thanks again for all the knowledge Gents!

I tried those new passes this morning. I can get something that's very close with the DE but nothing as close as BBS.

I'm having problems doing a different angle than up or down at the base of my neck under the ears. I tried using my left on the right side, right on the right, nah, doesn't feel natural and easy.

I used 'The Pratical' this morning. I have a BBS shave on the cheeks, chin and under the nose but not the neck. It looks all right but I will still need to work on it or maybe do a 4th pass on the neck only...

I will think about it on how I could do my passes on the neck...

Overall, from shave 1 to 23, it's been a great journey. Thanks again for all the knowledge Gents!

I have similar difficulties with the neck often.

For me, I usually end up using the tip of the razor to detail the jawline area in an ATG/XTG fashion. But it's pretty close to the up/down you describe...with all that curvature, I have a hard time thinking of a different way to do it?:confused:

Luc

Staff member
I still have trouble with my neck as well, the best thing for me so far is a japanese style grip for my S-N pass.

That's what I usually do but I would need to do a pass XTG...

Shave 24 this morning. I used the Max Raul Solingen.

I'm working on my XTG passes. It's not so bad, I noticed an improvement since yesterday on my neck. My angle might get better.

I tried to do shorter strokes instead of doing a few long one. It ended up with a closer shave. No nicks or cuts. Zero irritation!

Top Bottom