What's new

Luc shaving journal

Congrats, Luc. I'm half a year into the straights, had to start over with the prep and technique when it became evident that I had some bad habits that needed to be replaced with the proper way of doing it. I posted here and on the other forums and received a wide variety of EXCELLENT advice from some guys who know what they are talking about, and have already "been there and done that". Straight shaving requires some thought processes that aren't particularly needed when shaving with a DE (which I still do as often as not, and love it, too).

A question for the newbies only, as I am one too- do you use your non-dominant hand to shave that side of your face? I've tried both ways, and still haven't decided on which road to go down. If you do switch hands, do you also do the neck with it, or only the cheek?

Mike

I'd really like to hear input on this question too. I just did my first partial-shave with a straight. I loved the result, but I was really just testing my honing efforts and didn't go any further. But I know I'm going to. It was such a different experience than a DE. And I love my SuperSpeed, but the feeling of actually using a straight was pretty hypnotic. I'm just leary of trying it on my neck and on the off-hand side (I'm a rightie).

By the way, my right cheek, shaved with the straight, is way smoother than anywhere else.

I use both hands, in both grip styles (proper scales up, fingers around shank and tang etc, and scales at 180° to the blade--for shaving up the neck). I was worried about using my left hand at first as well, but I found it is much more capable at the fine tuned control that's needed than I was expecting. So for now, I have no preference any which way, and just switch grips for whatever gives me the best fine control (angle, pressure), access, reach, and viewing angle (what good is a proper grip if you can't see whether or not you're about to slice your nose or ear?).

ATG up the chin I hold the blade with both hands (one at each end), and very carefully, very gently push it upwards. I find this helps alot with the skipping due to my lack of skill with adjusting the angle around the curvature of my chin and under my lips.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
A question for the newbies only, as I am one too- do you use your non-dominant hand to shave that side of your face? I've tried both ways, and still haven't decided on which road to go down. If you do switch hands, do you also do the neck with it, or only the cheek?

Mike

I tried both and using both hands is better for me. It's easier to get the angle right. I do half (cheek+neck) with one hand than switch. Either way works!

Luc

Staff member
I just completed another straight shave this morning. This was a a good one. Still no cuts, which is good. I am still working on the technique as the shave is not as close as a DE. However, as previously stated, I'm getting there. I should post some pictures of the beast!

I found my profund left handedness (is that a real word?) was a real hurdle and I am still working through it. I decided after two or three shaves that I needed to learn with my right for the right hand side of my face. There was just no way to get the angle right without blocking my own view and it just felt clumbsy and awkward.

I have only been shaving on the weekends with the straight and I can just about do a complete one pass with the grain using the left for the left and right for the right. My right habd side is still lagging and I need to keep working at it till my right habd side catches up before I move onto ATG.

When I do get it right it is very rewarding, when I do not it can be frustrating but patience ie key. Everyone has their own pace and I would recommend you try resist the natural urge to wirry if someone who start out at the same time seems to move forward quicker.

I do enjoy the straight razor experience. I am not off DE'syet and don't think I ever will but I am slowly opening my eyes to how something so sharp can be so gentle on your face.

Well done Luc we started out about the same time and you are way ahead, please slow down :lol:

Seriously though, nice work. glad to hear it is coming together for you. I am still on a single razor but I do find myself looking at straights more often.

Luc

Staff member
fixed that for you :biggrin:

Fine, you're twisting my arm! That blade is as sharp as the devil himself!

John Watts - Sheffield 11/16

B4*Any

Luc

Staff member
I found my profund left handedness (is that a real word?) was a real hurdle and I am still working through it. I decided after two or three shaves that I needed to learn with my right for the right hand side of my face. There was just no way to get the angle right without blocking my own view and it just felt clumbsy and awkward.

I have only been shaving on the weekends with the straight and I can just about do a complete one pass with the grain using the left for the left and right for the right. My right habd side is still lagging and I need to keep working at it till my right habd side catches up before I move onto ATG.

When I do get it right it is very rewarding, when I do not it can be frustrating but patience ie key. Everyone has their own pace and I would recommend you try resist the natural urge to wirry if someone who start out at the same time seems to move forward quicker.

I do enjoy the straight razor experience. I am not off DE'syet and don't think I ever will but I am slowly opening my eyes to how something so sharp can be so gentle on your face.

Well done Luc we started out about the same time and you are way ahead, please slow down :lol:

Seriously though, nice work. glad to hear it is coming together for you. I am still on a single razor but I do find myself looking at straights more often.

Thanks mate, please also post your journey. I think it's getting better everytime I shave.

I was a bit scarded of the sharpness of the blade but I guess, like a DE, as long as you're careful, it will be all right.

Luc

Staff member
And the shave quest continues...

Good shave this morning. Small nick on the chin. Still no BBS but that's all right. I am still getting the angle right and working on how to make my passes in the right direction.

Luc

Staff member
All right, straight shave yesterday and this morning. Funny thing that I noticed today.

1-When I strop, my strop change colour depending if I'm going up or down So, something is happening for sure!

2-I do not always get the same 'noise' out of stropping. My guess is when I get a different noise, I'm not doing it properly. It's making me think that I should take it slow.

3-How funny it is that I did not do my passes as when I use a DE? I decided to do that yesterday. Much better shave. It was a bit rough yesterday but today, funny thing, just like butter. It's almost like the first time I go in that direction it's dragging and skipping. I do it once, and now it's fine. Funny how it works.

Now, I'm having problems with a part of my neck. Below the ear it grows SW-NE and SW-NW. That would be from the bottom of my neck going toward my ear with a slight slide toward the back of my head (if that makes sense).

I tried holding the razor in various positions and I can't get the right angle to shave, see something and make sure I don't cut myself. How would you hold the razor?

I'm guessing the handle would be up and blade down.

Now, I'm having problems with a part of my neck. Below the ear it grows SW-NE and SW-NW. That would be from the bottom of my neck going toward my ear with a slight slide toward the back of my head (if that makes sense).

I tried holding the razor in various positions and I can't get the right angle to shave, see something and make sure I don't cut myself. How would you hold the razor?

I'm guessing the handle would be up and blade down.

I have the same hair growth. When I shave the right side of my face I hold the razor in my right hand and shave from my ear along my jaw line towards my chin. I hold the razor so the edge is pointing towards my chin and the handle is pointing behind me. I stretch my skin and contort my face, open my mouth wide all in an effort to get this part of my neck. I am usually able to move the skin around so that I can shave it. If you were watching me it might look like I am shaving the same part of my face over and over again, but I'm pulling the skin up and shaving a new part of my face. Good luck!

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Shawn, I think I will try that.

I forgot to mention, very smooth shave this morning. Not BBS but getting close, very close.

Luc

Staff member
I will call it 14 as I think I'm on 14 now...

Patches, yes. Small nick this morning on the jaw line. I had the electric shock feeling followed by a burning sensation. I must have a 3mm cut, nothing serious but enough to make me go. :eek:

A bit of irritation on the neck as I tried to force it a bit and I shouldn't.

Thanks again everyone for all the advices. I'm trying to incorporate them slowly into the technique/routine.

Luc

Staff member
Yes, I tried Kapo shaving cream this morning instead of my mighty Palmolive... Great job. I still have a few patches but nothing serious. No cuts today!

I did 20 extra laps on the strop this morning, I could feel the difference. I can't wait to try a different razor.

Luc

Staff member
mmm, I skipped 16-17. I did shave but didn't post.

Back to 18!

Getting there. Tried another razor this morning. Honed by Buckler. The Practical. Huge blade compared to John Watts. Awesome razor. It sliced the whiskers like butter!

No BBS yet but nice shave!

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Jose!

Well, shave #18 this morning. I used the Vost by Sheffield.

Now I know, I see a pink pirate elephant coming 100 km/h saying that if I don't have pictures, it's not there. Here we go below.

The Pratical that I used yesterday
The Vost, today
Reul by Sollingen will be used next Saturday.

The shave. It's interesting how I get closer to a BBS shave but I'm not quite there yet. It's like every shave I get 1mm closer than the previous. I remember my first shave and how my chin was so picky. Now, a couple of patches but almost BBS.

I like the big blades (Pratical/Vost). The John Watts is great and I'm curious to see how I will go with the Reul now that I'm getting close to that BBS shave!

Top Bottom