What's new

Lubricating an Electric Rotary Shaver

I was wondering what fellow electric shaver users use to lubricate their rotary (or foil) shavers to promote longevity of the blades. I have a norelco that has the SmartClean base that cleans and lubricates the shaver, but I also have a Remington rotary razor that I keep in my truck for an "emergency" shave and I'm not sure what I should use. Any suggestions?

I don't use electrics anymore but when I did I would always use either the Andis or the Wahl clipper care sprays. They simultaneously: flush out hair, clean grime, and lube the blades in a few seconds with just a few sprays while your clippers or razor is running. If you spray a little toomuch, just wipe off the residue. They both are mineral oil base I believe.

After rinsing and air drying I put a drop of mineral oil on each shaver head with the shaver running.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Braun recommends occasionally putting a drop of light machine oil on the cutter screens and the trimmer if you use the shaver wet or rinse out it with water. However, it’s not necessary to use oil if you use the shaver dry. I have been shaving with electric shavers dry since the early 1960s and never had a reason to lubricate them. I owned both rotary and screen types. My Panasonic ES8103 shaver lasted nearly five years without lubricant and I rinsed it clean with running water and hand soap weekly.

Using natural face oil (tm). Never heard about electric shavers needing oil and I got good life out of all the Philips shavers I have. But maybe this oiling will prolong life even further. The SmartClean system had to leave the house as it was so gargantuan in our small bathroom.

I agree with you. If you are using water to shave or clean the shaver I can see using a little oil to prevent corrosion. However, keeping it dry and the shaver should last until the battery gives out. Hopefully, it will last five years.

Using natural face oil (tm). Never heard about electric shavers needing oil and I got good life out of all the Philips shavers I have. But maybe this oiling will prolong life even further. The SmartClean system had to leave the house as it was so gargantuan in our small bathroom.
A preshave like Williams Lectric Shave will lubricate your shaver when dry shaving.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I never thought to use a preshave lotion as a lubricant for the shaver. However, I never thought a shaver needs to be lubriated if used dry. My new Braun 7893s cutter/screen cassette should last 18 months before replacement according to the owner’s manual. The shaver has a cassette change warning indicator light. When the light illuminates I will determine if it needs replacement by the condition of the screens and the quality of the shaves. If it wears out early, then I will lubricant the new cassette head to see if it makes a positive difference.

I agree with you. If you are using water to shave or clean the shaver I can see using a little oil to prevent corrosion. However, keeping it dry and the shaver should last until the battery gives out. Hopefully, it will last five years.
It should last more than five years. I've had Norelco's go over ten before I changed out the batteries. Had a Braun Syncro that went over eight before the batteries and circuit board needed changing.

Clayton

I've never lubed mine, but like @Chevyguy states, the Willams, which I also use with any electric will lubricate each time.
There are also aerosol spray cleaners like Remington Shaversaver that will lube your razor and keep it running in top shape.

Clayton

It should last more than five years. I've had Norelco's go over ten before I changed out the batteries. Had a Braun Syncro that went over eight before the batteries and circuit board needed changing.

Clayton

When I used corded shavers, before batteries, they lasted many years without lubricants of any kind. I used to use a preshave powder in a stack that helped dry my face wnd cieaned out the shaver with the brush. My Panasonic ES8103 still works and will be five years old next month. The battery on it won’t hold a charge for an entire week so I have repacked it. I never lubricated it and it runs fine.

The shaver will last just as long whether you lubricate it or not. However, the blades won't - at least they won't stay sharp as long. If you haven't changed out the blades in the decade you've been using your electric, do yourself a favor and put in new blades - you'll have a new shaver. Almost any light oil will do, or one of the available and convenient spray lubricants like Remington's. A set of combs/cutters or foil/blades should last a year or two and still cut efficiently if well maintained.

Good thought about the blades. The Panasonic ES8103 gave me great shaves until the last couple of months considering it still had the original cutters and screens. If the Braun’s shaves begin to deteriorate before the 18 month recommended replacement interval, I will replace the cutter/screen cassette and begin using a lubricant.

Top Bottom