What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

Been there, seen that, horrified by that. :eek:

Hard water deposits are tough on hot water tanks. And water just in general, likes to rust out the tanks. I still remember when the original hot water tank to this house, literally blew the hot water line, completely off of the entire vessel, and water was shooting out like a fire hydrant full force, soaking the entire floor in the process. It was due to the fact that the 10-year old tank had rusted so bad, that there was nothing left to hold the water line in.

And since the hot water tank was located in the closet of my bedroom, I am sure you can imagine the fun I tried to have, sleeping out in the living room, because the carpeting needed that special floor blower fan, which makes a ton of noise, to dry out the floor and carpeting, not fun. Replaced the tank of course, and got only 8-years out of it, it simply just stopped heating all together! Then I got the 3rd hot water tank for the house, and you guessed it, it also only lasted 8-years, but this time with a twist!

The 3rd hot water tank, did not rust out, and it did not stop heating. The electrics started smoking! Everytime I turn the breaker for the hot water tank on, after it runs for awhile, there will be blue smoke in my bedroom. I am not made of money, and after 3 hot water tank replacements, and a loss of a financial income source, I made the decision to no longer have running hot water in the house. That 3rd tank is still hooked up otherwise, but I never power it up.

Instead, I do it the pioneer way folks, I heat up water on the stove like our great grandparents did it, you'd be amazed how successful you can be just heating up water in a pot on the stove. And yes, before you ask, yes, you can even bath with a pot of water. Once you recognize you don't need 50-gallons of water to shower, you learn water conservation techniques, and you do more with less, and achieve success lol.

Are you sure? 🤔

If you ever seen the depiction of Athena the goddess, I'd love for her to be passed down to me as well. 😝

Well, I'll be damned, you got yourself a Wolfman razor WOOHOO! Celebration party time excellent! 🎉Congratulations!
Chris, 8 years seems like a decent lifetime for a heater. I think the warranties on them are less than that. Looks like you need an electrician to look at everything!
Also, many people forget that you need to maintain the tank for longetivity. I drain mine once a year to remove the sediment that sits on the bottom of the tank. Glad you resolve with heating it up old school but I don't think that's ideal for everyone. If I were to do that in my house, everyone would flip out, Lol!!
I'm for water conservation as it's set up (my house has everything regulated). But I'm glad it works for you though!

Let me put it this way.. I've sold 4 razors so far... have a bunch more up for sale. That's why I said I have RAD under control... this doesn't mean I'll never buy another razor, but the buying frenzy is over for both brushes and razors. I've changed my philosophy, if you will.... I'll end up with 7 razors I love and that includes just buying a top cap for the Blutt BR-1 ,86 base plate sitting in a little plastic zip lock bag. I already have a handle sitting around, waiting for it. ;)

If some of the razors don't sell.. I'll post them again in the late fall for the Christmas rush. No biggie. I might even try the 37C or the R41. Who knows?

In two weeks, I'll post some of my brushes on BST. They might not sell this time of year either. BST is a bit fickle.

On a happy note: the plumber is installing the new water tank now.
I'm gonna follow your lead and take inventory this week and sell what won't be used to the fullest. Again I see no reason to stock up on stuff just for the sake of having it.

lasta

Blade Biter
Couple of things to write about from this week!
First off, I've been using my Stando Chors a lot lately. I think I've used it enough already to give it a ranking.
It's joined my top 5!
I don't know exactly what it is about it but I love shaving with it. Smooth, close, balanced, mid-aggressive, etc.. It checks every box! I always overlooked these until I finally found one on YourShaving that had a nice handle. I'm glad I found it and especially for the reduced price that they sell them for.
My top 5 has no order. I love them all equally!
Here they are:
Stando Chors
Tatara Nodachi
ATT X1 Slant
GreenCult 1.1
GreenCult 2.0
I'm not saying I'll never buy anything else but with these, I really have what I need!

Second thing:
Shave Nation refunded me for the Razorine Flatboy after they received it. I guess they opted for that instead of an exchange. That was OK by me but it ended up being a loss. I had ordered it along with one of their alum sticks that look like a deodorant stick (it's great by the way!). And they had the alum stick on special for like 15% off so it seemed like a good time to try it out. Anyways, I paid a little over $9 shipping for both but they only refunded me the price of the Flatboy. Bottom line is that I ended up paying like $19 for the alum stick with the shipping. If I would have ordered it alone at regular price it would have been like $14 with the shipping. But whatever, it is what it is!
So now I'm the owner of an overpriced alum stick, LOL!!
Think of it this way, an alum stick will last you years. Value purchase really.

Think of it this way, an alum stick will last you years. Value purchase really.
I guess that's one way of seeing it!
Doubt it'll last years though.
For some reason, I go through consumables very quickly.
No big deal though!

Do you use them every shave?
Yep!
Last I bought was the stick one that Razorock sells. I guess I bought it like 8 months ago. The stick is already half way gone! The RR one is 60g. This new one from Shave Nation is wide (like a deodorant) and it's 70g. So it should last longer! But yes I use it daily and go through it pretty fast.

Last edited:
Never used alum. I’ve used styptic plenty, but always the old fashioned pencil. Anybody know if this is any good?

Infalab Nick Relief Styptic Powder, 3 Count https://a.co/d/h0Cb6CJ

95284FFD-6D27-4784-8DDD-8D24B98BCE42.png

Never used alum. I’ve used styptic plenty, but always the old fashioned pencil. Anybody know if this is any good?

Infalab Nick Relief Styptic Powder, 3 Count https://a.co/d/h0Cb6CJ

View attachment 1586719
The styptic is to close a bleeding nick. That powder you're looking at is the same as the stick but in powder form. Some people like it better. The Alum will do the same (will close a nick) but at the same time it heals your whole face after a shave. You shave, rinse, rub the alum all over your face while wet, leave it on for a bit (I do 30 seconds), rinse it off, dry your face and use after shave or balm. Your face feels good after using it as part of your routine!

Hello everyone,
it's been a couple months since I've written anything. First off, all is well!
Seems like when I'm buying & trying, I have lots to talk about, LOL!! But I've been on a shaving buying break!
I think for now I've reached a point of acquisitions that has made me happy and has made me focus on what
I own. I've only bought one razor lately which I will mention down on #2 of my top 5. I, like many have other interests as well so money gets involved on those things too. It's actually a good thing because you balance what you buy between different things and not go crazy with one singular interest. I'm into drums & cymbals as well and also collect knives (I post some of my knives on the "What is your EDC knife" thread every few days).
All expensive hobbies!
But I'm pretty complete in terms of drums now so that's taken a halt. Knives are a different story because I'm usually
looking for something interesting in the knife world. But even that has been under control!
Anyways, how my shaving has been:
I've gotten to spend plenty of time with all my razors. This has led me to a couple of interesting findings and has shifted my favorites and even ownership of a couple razors. I've really been able to comprehensively pinpoint which ones I like most. Bottom line is that all this quality and repeated shave time has made me realize a few things:
1. I really liked aggressive razors which generally equated to really good efficiency. I've now found that semi-aggressive and smooth is king which gives me very satisfactory results and makes my skin feel better.
2. I actually like long handles better than short handles.
3. Expensive & top shelf razors are pretty and nice to own but they don't necessarily do anything better than something cheaper i.e., Zamak head vs. stainless! (I focused on price, materials, the hype etc.. and have found
remarkable results in less costly razors as well)

Here is my current list (Top 5):

1. Greencult 1.1
2. Merkur 37C Slant (for now! I ordered a 39C which is the long handle version that should arrive this coming week)
3. Tatara Nodachi
4. Stando Chors
5. Greencult 2.0 level II

Why?
I realized that the Greencult 1.1 shaves identical to the 2.0 level II since they are the same specs. But the 1.1
has a long handle which is fantastic. And the build quality is just as good as the 2.0. It might not have the finish because of the machine marks but the build quality is definitely equal. And guess what? It's like $50!

The Merkur 37C, really? Yes!
I could care less that it's got a Zamak top cap. If it ever goes bad I'll simply order another one since it's relatively cheap. I had the vintage Hoffritz version which I sold a while back. It was beautiful but it had alignment problems. No issues with the 37C!
I've been using it a week straight and can't let go of it. Smooth, efficient, wonderful!

Tatara Nodachi, very efficient, very smooth and very balanced. Incredible build quality!
The only problem is that I have the black version and the finish starts coming off if you accidentally rub it on any surface. Known issue with the black version! Mine already has a couple of minor marks!

The Stando Chors: A surprise since I knew nothing about it. Wonderful in every way! Love it!

Greencult 2.0: I've spoken a lot about this one. Excellent is an understatement but it got the #5 spot because like I mentioned, I now find the longer handles to be better for me. The 1.1 has it beat!

So how 'bout the Above the Tie X1 slant and the Executive Shaving Outlaw?
They've been sold!
As smooth as the X1 was, in the end, it didn't reach the level of the others. And the Outlaw was efficient but slightly rough and it seemed to require buffing after every shave.
For me they ended up being money left on the table so someone else will get to enjoy them now.
I also sold the extra new Greencult 2.0 that I had bought as an extra. No need to have it!
I have two 1.1's in different finishes and will keep those forever.

I still have all my other razors which don't get much use. Some vintage (Gillette slim, Schick Krona, Star 100 etc..)
And some other modern ones (ATT mixed metal, Ikon Tek, RR Hawk, Fatip OC etc..)

So that's all for now. I'll follow up with my testing of the Merkur 39C when it arrives next week.
Have a great weekend,
Larry

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hello everyone,
Seems like when I'm buying & trying, I have lots to talk about, LOL!! But I've been on a shaving buying break!
I think for now I've reached a point of acquisitions that has made me happy and has made me focus on what
I own. I've only bought one razor lately which I will mention down on #2 of my top 5. I, like many have other interests as well so money gets involved on those things too. It's actually a good thing because you balance what you buy between different things and not go crazy with one singular interest. I'm into drums & cymbals as well and also collect knives (I post some of my knives on the "What is your EDC knife" thread every few days).
All expensive hobbies!
But I'm pretty complete in terms of drums now so that's taken a halt. Knives are a different story because I'm usually
looking for something interesting in the knife world. But even that has been under control!
I've gotten to spend plenty of time with all my razors. This has led me to a couple of interesting findings and has shifted my favorites and even ownership of a couple razors. I've really been able to comprehensively pinpoint which ones I like most. Bottom line is that all this quality and repeated shave time has made me realize a few things:
1. I really liked aggressive razors which generally equated to really good efficiency. I've now found that semi-aggressive and smooth is king which gives me very satisfactory results and makes my skin feel better.
3. Expensive & top shelf razors are pretty and nice to own but they don't necessarily do anything better than something cheaper i.e., Zamak head vs. stainless! (I focused on price, materials, the hype etc.. and have found

1. Greencult 1.1
2. Merkur 37C Slant (for now! I ordered a 39C which is the long handle version that should arrive this coming week)
3. Tatara Nodachi
4. Stando Chors

Why?
I realized that the Greencult 1.1 shaves identical to the 2.0 level II since they are the same specs. But the 1.1
has a long handle which is fantastic. And the build quality is just as good as the 2.0. It might not have the finish because of the machine marks but the build quality is definitely equal. And guess what? It's like $50!

I could care less that it's got a Zamak top cap. If it ever goes bad I'll simply order another one since it's relatively cheap. I had the vintage Hoffritz version which I sold a while back. It was beautiful but it had alignment problems. No issues with the 37C!
I've been using it a week straight and can't let go of it. Smooth, efficient, wonderful!

Tatara Nodachi, very efficient, very smooth and very balanced. Incredible build quality!
The only problem is that I have the black version and the finish starts coming off if you accidentally rub it on any surface. Known issue with the black version! Mine already has a couple of minor marks!

The Stando Chors: A surprise since I knew nothing about it. Wonderful in every way! Love it!

Greencult 2.0: I've spoken a lot about this one. Excellent is an understatement but it got the #5 spot because like I mentioned, I now find the longer handles to be better for me. The 1.1 has it beat!

They've been sold!
As smooth as the X1 was, in the end, it didn't reach the level of the others. And the Outlaw was efficient but slightly rough and it seemed to require buffing after every shave.
For me they ended up being money left on the table so someone else will get to enjoy them now.
I also sold the extra new Greencult 2.0 that I had bought as an extra. No need to have it!

I still have all my other razors which don't get much use. Some vintage (Gillette slim, Schick Krona, Star 100 etc..)

So that's all for now. I'll follow up with my testing of the Merkur 39C when it arrives next week.
Have a great weekend,
Larry
Always glad to see you around.

I really need to fit my 37c in somewhere for trial. And I was sort of sorry to see your X1 go...mine is still giving me great shaves, though you often like your razors just a half a step more efficient than I do. We still have the very fine Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 in common which is interesting in its own right. ;)

My other expensive hobby is about to kick in soon.... photography... I think a camera for which I've been waiting will be released sometime 2nd quarter next year. I usually wait 6 months after a new release so the bugs are worked out, the post processing software is out as well as some accessories that take several months to manufacture.

Since your last post in January, I sold off 11 razors and a couple brushes to fund a Bronze Wolfman and two handles. It's lovely... and meets all my own shaving expectations too, always a plus. I have 6 razors I just love and still use a 7th, the ESC Claymore Evo around my nose. That's why I haven't gotten around to the 37c.... I'm having so much fun shaving with the top 6, the motivation for experimentation has diminished quite a bit.

Larry! Thanks for the update and great to read you are doing well. Congrats on the restraint and finding your top 5. I can agree to most of them even without having them except the GC2.

I have a lot dialled in. I might get one or two extra razors but that’s about it. I know there is a GC1 waiting for me that a fellow brother secured for me.

Enjoy your shave!

Guido

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My other expensive hobby is about to kick in soon.... photography... I think a camera for which I've been waiting will be released sometime 2nd quarter next year. I usually wait 6 months after a new release so the bugs are worked out, the post processing software is out as well as some accessories that take several months to manufacture.
Just wait until I get the 'stang home if you want to talk expensive hobbies. :ouch1:

Q: How do you make a small fortune racing cars?
A: Start with a large fortune!:punk:
smokin.gif
~doug~

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hello everyone,
All expensive hobbies!

1. Greencult 1.1
3. Tatara Nodachi
4. Stando Chors

Why?

They've been sold!

Have a great weekend,
Larry

Glad to see you back, Larry. Your comments are interesting and insightful and helpful, as always.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm doing something similar to Larry. He's been an inspiration in that regard since we first met. I'll be using my top 6 razors... making notes to make sure I'm enjoying each one. I don't plan on any of them falling off the list but I'm open to that. I will probably sell off the extra Green Cult 2.0 Level 2 and the extra Level 3 plate I have. I have two complete Blutt BR-1s set up... I bought an extra top cap from them a while ago so I both the 0.86 and 1.20 razors set up and ready to go.. I might find out, I seldom reach for the 0.86 and could pass that one on as well.

I'll be passing on most of my scented soaps when we get back from Bali... You'll see them show up in various threads when the B&B member gets them. I'm a bit concerned I'll overwhelm him but I have confidence he'll be fine. ;)They were all carefully selected so the soaps are great. My face? not so much.

I've settled in to just a handful of amazing unscented soaps these days. My wife just loves the Captain's Choice unscented Scott found for me a few months back. Scott found the unscented soap just wasn't selling like their scented soaps so he took it off their regularly listed products.

New acquisition!
As I had previously posted, the Merkur 37C slant has become one of my favorites. Today the 39C "Sledgehammer" arrived which is the bigger & heavier version of the 37C. Same head with a different barber pole handle that's longer. It has a 3.75" handle vs. 3.0" for the 37C. It feels heavier in the hand but I believe that it will be better balanced for my taste.
It will be up for a first shave tomorrow morning and I'll post some results:

full

full

full

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The 3" handle of the 37C does feel a bit shorter than I prefer. I've sort of settled on 90mm ~ 3.5" when I have a choice. I plan to try the 37C a few weeks after we get back in country. I might end up opting for the 39C if I like the way the 37C shaves. I think I'd rather have 1/4" longer than 1/2" shorter but that's just a guess at this point.

The 3" handle of the 37C does feel a bit shorter than I prefer. I've sort of settled on 90mm ~ 3.5" when I have a choice. I plan to try the 37C a few weeks after we get back in country. I might end up opting for the 39C if I like the way the 37C shaves. I think I'd rather have 1/4" longer than 1/2" shorter but that's just a guess at this point.
I shaved with it this morning.
2 pass WTG/XTG using a Personna Lab blue blade.
It was fantastic!
The longer handle makes all the difference. I find it better balanced and the added weight means that
the razors weight does all the work. Same smooth and close result. Very very smooth!
My sweet spot on handle size is 3.5" - 3.75".
I really like it!
It's worth the upgrade for me and it's relatively cheap.
I got it from Pasteur Shaving with one of their coupons. I think I paid like$40!

Something different for this evenings shave!
This:

full

Why?
The backstory:
When I travel, I usually take a single edge disposable and my Norelco electric trimmer. It's easier for me because I can throw them in my carry-on without having to check anything in. Typically I've used the Bic Sensitive (yellow pack).
For some reason I always thought that these were the same as Bic Metal. While browsing on Amazon I discovered that they aren't the same (I'm sure most of you who use these already knew this, LOL!).
I thought they were the same thing with different packaging!
Anyways, I ordered a 5 pack a couple days ago to try them out and they arrived today. I had to try them today before any upcoming trip.
The "metal" in the name is because it has a miniature metal safety bar. That's all the metal since it's a totally plastic razor as is any other disposable.
I've been left very surprised!
I did a two pass shave that was very smooth and ended up with an extremely close shave.
Was it fun? No
Does it feel natural? No
Would I ever use something like this other than on a trip? No
I could find a lot of other No's but hey, They're disposable!
It's ridiculously light, feels like a stick and the head is miniature.
But the point is that it's a better performer than the usual Bic Sensitive in the yellow pack.
And for a couple days of use it beats using overpriced and underperforming cartridge razors.
At least this gives somewhat of the same satisfaction as what we normally use since it's got a single blade.
Last but not least, they're Made in Greece just like the Bic Chrome Platinum blades. They're probably using
the same type of blade (cut in half) for these razors. And Greek Bic blades for me are in my top 3!
These will now become my go to travel razors. $5 for a 5 pack!!
Highly recommended for traveling!
LRod

Bump. How about an update, @LRod ? :thumbup:
Nothing new in the shaving world my friends!
Still rotating through the list of razors that I've accumulated and kept.
And the endless brands of blades! Plus soaps...LOL!!
As of now, leaders are:
Greencult 2.0 (level 2) and the Greencult 1.1. Tie!
Second behind those two is my Stando Polska Chors
And finally my Merkur 37C!
Last one I bought was the 39C and have used it a lot. I thought I would love that slant
with the heavier & longer handle but I don't. The short handle 37C is the winner between the two.
I took out my Fatip (non-slant) nickel open comb this week for a spin as well. A really great razor!
Used my Star model 100 for a week straight and put it away again. Good but a tad rough!
Finally, I've been staring at my "new old stock" Schick Krona every day. Wondering if I'll ever
open the factory sealed package to let it out into the world after being in there for 55 years.
I'm very tempted!! We'll see!
The only other razors that have piqued my interest lately are the French Atelier Durdan's. It's been on my radar for a few months but I haven't jumped on it yet. The "Wolfman" level pricing has me held back. Maybe some day they'll have some sort of sale. I have other interests that cost money as well so I have to spread it around amongst other things too. I'm being patient now and have been enjoying what I have.
Other than that, nothing else really going on!
Thanks for checking in,
LRod

Top Bottom