What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

I posted this beauty on the EDC thread yesterday! Went to an Ace hardware on Friday to get some extra keys made and I walked out with the keys I needed and a knife that I didn't need 🤣
It's a Case XX Trapper in Worn old red bone corn cob. 4.13"

full

full

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
My 505 Buck that I have carried since 1983 turned up missing last week. I looked in all the places where I usually find it and nothing. To top it off Buck discontinued the 505 two years ago.

Not all is lost however, as Buck has a Custom order page and for $75 I couldn't resist. A bargain compared to the price I paid for the original one while visiting at Lake Arrowhead with my first wife was $27 some forty years ago.
Buck 505 knife.jpg

6-8 weeks lead time... I'll probably make a trip to my local Ace and pick up a Case while I wait.

~doug~

My 505 Buck that I have carried since 1983 turned up missing last week. I looked in all the places where I usually find it and nothing. To top it off Buck discontinued the 505 two years ago.

Not all is lost however, as Buck has a Custom order page and for $75 I couldn't resist. A bargain compared to the price I paid for the original one while visiting at Lake Arrowhead with my first wife was $27 some forty years ago.
View attachment 1581243
6-8 weeks lead time... I'll probably make a trip to my local Ace and pick up a Case while I wait.

~doug~
What a fantastic option! Bucks are excellent!
At least you could have yours made. That's awesome!
In case your interested, I just picked up a small Case on Amazon yesterday. They have it on sale for $39!
I used some reward points I had and paid like $25. Great deal!
Main blade is 2.10"

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
What a fantastic option! Bucks are excellent!
At least you could have yours made. That's awesome!
In case your interested, I just picked up a small Case on Amazon yesterday. They have it on sale for $39!
I used some reward points I had and paid like $25. Great deal!
Main blade is 2.10"

I just ordered one of these from Amazon

Case 14311 Ford Mini Blackhorn​

Free with my reward points!

~doug~

My last order from Europe finally arrived today!
The Greencult 1.1 in black. Beautiful finish in that color. Pictures do it no justice. It's prettier than my silver one. It's actually not black, it's more of a dark charcoal color. I also received a new Captain's Choice bowl. I love mine and decided to get another one as a backup in a different color. I bought it using Pasteur's 25% off coupon so it was a great deal:

full

full

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Larry, I haven't seen any new posts here for a week or so... thought I'd check in to make sure everything is OK. I did see your comments on the X1 blade selection thread the other day, so I'm guessing everything is fine.

Larry, I haven't seen any new posts here for a week or so... thought I'd check in to make sure everything is OK. I did see your comments on the X1 blade selection thread the other day, so I'm guessing everything is fine.
Hey Kim! Thanks for checking!
All good. It's just been a busy week focusing on other stuff (work). And nothing new on my end. I was gonna write yesterday and got caught up with other things. 👍

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was about the shave yesterday and was cleaning up the kitchen a bit.... the water wasn't near as hot as usual so I went into the garage to take a look.. the hot water tank was leaking out the bottom... it's 29 years.. it doesn't owe us a thing.... but replacing it these days is a small fortune. It makes buying razors seem unbelievably cheap by comparison. ;)

All's well here too..... RAD under control. Just two more to replace what I'm selling or trying to sell at the moment. I've covered the cost of the two razors I'm planning on buying: a second Athena so I have two to pass down to our sons; a Wolfman WR2 .95 with stand in basic brass. With what I've sold so far and the small amount left in my shaving slush fund, I'll be fine.

I can't tell you how nice it is to stop all the trials and get back to enjoying the shaving. My second Green Cult 2.0 arrived and even with extra padding in the box, the 3D printed insert still broke. The razor just breaks them when it snaps in, I think. At least, the razor wasn't rattling around in the box. I only have one thing in the mail... a top cap for my second Blutt BR-1 base plate so I'll have a mild and less mild two Blutt complete razors setup. It's moving fast. It already cleared customs and is in Phillipsburg, NJ. I'll bet it shows up here before the weekend is out.

Then the wait for the email from Tara telling me, my name came up at Wolfman and my 019-2023 Athena to be available in early April or so.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
the hot water tank was leaking out the bottom

Been there, seen that, horrified by that. :eek:

Hard water deposits are tough on hot water tanks. And water just in general, likes to rust out the tanks. I still remember when the original hot water tank to this house, literally blew the hot water line, completely off of the entire vessel, and water was shooting out like a fire hydrant full force, soaking the entire floor in the process. It was due to the fact that the 10-year old tank had rusted so bad, that there was nothing left to hold the water line in.

And since the hot water tank was located in the closet of my bedroom, I am sure you can imagine the fun I tried to have, sleeping out in the living room, because the carpeting needed that special floor blower fan, which makes a ton of noise, to dry out the floor and carpeting, not fun. Replaced the tank of course, and got only 8-years out of it, it simply just stopped heating all together! Then I got the 3rd hot water tank for the house, and you guessed it, it also only lasted 8-years, but this time with a twist!

The 3rd hot water tank, did not rust out, and it did not stop heating. The electrics started smoking! Everytime I turn the breaker for the hot water tank on, after it runs for awhile, there will be blue smoke in my bedroom. I am not made of money, and after 3 hot water tank replacements, and a loss of a financial income source, I made the decision to no longer have running hot water in the house. That 3rd tank is still hooked up otherwise, but I never power it up.

Instead, I do it the pioneer way folks, I heat up water on the stove like our great grandparents did it, you'd be amazed how successful you can be just heating up water in a pot on the stove. And yes, before you ask, yes, you can even bath with a pot of water. Once you recognize you don't need 50-gallons of water to shower, you learn water conservation techniques, and you do more with less, and achieve success lol.

RAD under control.

Are you sure? 🤔

Athena so I have two to pass down to our sons

If you ever seen the depiction of Athena the goddess, I'd love for her to be passed down to me as well. 😝

Then the wait for the email from Tara telling me, my name came up at Wolfman and my 019-2023 Athena to be available in early April or so.

Well, I'll be damned, you got yourself a Wolfman razor WOOHOO! Celebration party time excellent! 🎉Congratulations!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
…….um…..”her”?

It was common for sailors to give names to their ships, the names were always of the female variety. Since then, the art of naming things she, has been passed down to other things, weapons, tools, fishing gear, cars, you name it. And now we get the privilege, of considering our razors, as our very own beloveds. We just have to be careful, not to make our wives think were cheating on them for the love of a razor. :letterk1:

…….um…..”her”?
What he said:
It was common for sailors to give names to their ships, the names were always of the female variety. Since then, the art of naming things she, has been passed down to other things, weapons, tools, fishing gear, cars, you name it. And now we get the privilege, of considering our razors, as our very own beloveds. We just have to be careful, not to make our wives think were cheating on them for the love of a razor. :letterk1:
Cheers,

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Let me put it this way.. I've sold 4 razors so far... have a bunch more up for sale. That's why I said I have RAD under control... this doesn't mean I'll never buy another razor, but the buying frenzy is over for both brushes and razors. I've changed my philosophy, if you will.... I'll end up with 7 razors I love and that includes just buying a top cap for the Blutt BR-1 ,86 base plate sitting in a little plastic zip lock bag. I already have a handle sitting around, waiting for it. ;)

If some of the razors don't sell.. I'll post them again in the late fall for the Christmas rush. No biggie. I might even try the 37C or the R41. Who knows?

In two weeks, I'll post some of my brushes on BST. They might not sell this time of year either. BST is a bit fickle.

On a happy note: the plumber is installing the new water tank now.

Couple of things to write about from this week!
First off, I've been using my Stando Chors a lot lately. I think I've used it enough already to give it a ranking.
It's joined my top 5!
I don't know exactly what it is about it but I love shaving with it. Smooth, close, balanced, mid-aggressive, etc.. It checks every box! I always overlooked these until I finally found one on YourShaving that had a nice handle. I'm glad I found it and especially for the reduced price that they sell them for.
My top 5 has no order. I love them all equally!
Here they are:
Stando Chors
Tatara Nodachi
ATT X1 Slant
GreenCult 1.1
GreenCult 2.0
I'm not saying I'll never buy anything else but with these, I really have what I need!

Second thing:
Shave Nation refunded me for the Razorine Flatboy after they received it. I guess they opted for that instead of an exchange. That was OK by me but it ended up being a loss. I had ordered it along with one of their alum sticks that look like a deodorant stick (it's great by the way!). And they had the alum stick on special for like 15% off so it seemed like a good time to try it out. Anyways, I paid a little over $9 shipping for both but they only refunded me the price of the Flatboy. Bottom line is that I ended up paying like $19 for the alum stick with the shipping. If I would have ordered it alone at regular price it would have been like $14 with the shipping. But whatever, it is what it is!
So now I'm the owner of an overpriced alum stick, LOL!!

I was about the shave yesterday and was cleaning up the kitchen a bit.... the water wasn't near as hot as usual so I went into the garage to take a look.. the hot water tank was leaking out the bottom... it's 29 years.. it doesn't owe us a thing.... but replacing it these days is a small fortune. It makes buying razors seem unbelievably cheap by comparison. ;)

All's well here too..... RAD under control. Just two more to replace what I'm selling or trying to sell at the moment. I've covered the cost of the two razors I'm planning on buying: a second Athena so I have two to pass down to our sons; a Wolfman WR2 .95 with stand in basic brass. With what I've sold so far and the small amount left in my shaving slush fund, I'll be fine.

I can't tell you how nice it is to stop all the trials and get back to enjoying the shaving. My second Green Cult 2.0 arrived and even with extra padding in the box, the 3D printed insert still broke. The razor just breaks them when it snaps in, I think. At least, the razor wasn't rattling around in the box. I only have one thing in the mail... a top cap for my second Blutt BR-1 base plate so I'll have a mild and less mild two Blutt complete razors setup. It's moving fast. It already cleared customs and is in Phillipsburg, NJ. I'll bet it shows up here before the weekend is out.

It's liberating (at least for now) to enjoy the shave as you say. Buying and trying is fun though but it's gotta have a limit. I'm loving what I have now and will focus on those. Hopefully you got the water heater issue fixed. I have a hybrid system and dreaded thinking about the the day it might break. They're very expensive!
One good option I found is a home warranty plan. I pay something like $800 a year and it covers everything (including the AC unit). $100 deductible per claim and they will either fix or replace. We just had the first test last month. Half the stove stopped working and the over the stove microwave croaked. Paid $200 deductible for both and the tech came out. The microwave was toast so they opted to replace. I've installed the new one last week. And the stove will be fixed but waiting on parts. It's a good deal!
Looking forward to your turn with Wolfman!

Top Bottom