What's new

LRod's Acquisition and everything else Thread!

I guess at some point, if the blade has enough exposure to pick up all the hairs then no more exposure is necessary.
This is what I figure too!
On the GC 2.0, the level II exposure is 1.0, level III is 1.5 and level IV is 2.0.
That's a big jump from level II to IV but I see no difference in efficiency. But I do see a difference in smoothness (more exposure on level IV = a rougher shave). So yes, what you say makes sense!
On my Tatara Nodachi, the exposure is 0.13 which is half way between the GC Level II and level III. And that's my other most efficient & smooth DE razor. Comparable!
Bottom line: Level II on the GC is the one for me where I get the best balance of efficiency & smoothness!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Level two worked so well for me, I don't even plan to try Level three. After I finish this Lupo trial... or maybe before, I plan to use the CG 2.0 L2 back to back with the Blutt 1.20... compare the two shaves. Based on memory alone, which, at my age isn't all that wise, I think the shaves will be similar. That's a huge plus since the Blutt is twice as expensive, give or take a few dollars.

I didn't wake myself up at the 10 hour mark, but based on face feel this morning, the Lupo 72OC gave me a ten hour shave. Not horrible but not quite up to my top 5 razors. Again, I will need to refresh my memory but the GC L2 is a bit more smooth, I think. That's why I've concluded... my top 5 all give me the smoothest, yet closest shaves I've had. I've had a good razor testing year and ended up with so many nice razors that will continue to work for me the rest of my life, I trust. All 5 give me a 12 hour shave. YMMV... I guess we are almost required to include that and of course, the Rocnel Elite just didn't work for Larry but works incredibly well for me. It's still odd to me that it works like that since we have a few razors in common that we both love.

@Mr. Shavington gets smooth, long lasting shaves from the Overlander and we have 5 razors in common that we both like, yet the Blutt BR-1 with the .86 base plate does for me what the Overlander does for so many other people...gives me a auto pilot shave that lasts over 10 hours. I'm sure the new owner of my gold plated Overlander will just love it.

I didn't wake myself up at the 10 hour mark, but based on face feel this morning, the Lupo 72OC gave me a ten hour shave. Not horrible but not quite up to my top 5 razors.
I had the Lupo aluminum and the stainless 72 a while back! Neither was that great for me. They shaved OK but nowhere near the other razors you've mentioned.
The aluminum RR Hawk SE that I have shaves much better than the Lupo's!

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I do see a difference in smoothness (more exposure on level IV = a rougher shave).

Similar observations have been made and the Yates 921-H and 921-EH by @gdawg55 and the RazoRock BBS-A and BBS-AS by @Iridian

Also, thank you for the observation, so I can get the savings from Spain instead of pay the big bucks from Austria via Etsy on either the 1.1 or 2.0 level II should when I have and get one.

Happy New Year!

lasta

Blade Biter
I have a long running theory that the blade provides most of the shave efficiency and blade exposure provides a more even shave, how much is necessary depends on how one's hairs grow. I guess at some point, if the blade has enough exposure to pick up all the hairs then no more exposure is necessary. I suppose one could force a closer shave, but I am holding my razor right on the edge of dropping it, it's barely skimming the surface so the actual exposure doesn't completely matter, but I have a pretty high minimum that works for me because otherwise the blade skips instead of catching the hairs. My Blackbird is probably around a plate III, but I have no reference what something with nearly twice the exposure is like. Maybe it's just an unnecessary risk that could bite if you get the angle wrong? Sounds fun anyway!
Absolutely agree!

Technically Tech's have positive blade exposure, so if one finds and maintains the right angle, there is no reason why it can't give BBS shaves. Anything more than a Tech is just an equally "effective" blade holder.

I judge razors on how shiny and sleek they look!

lasta

Blade Biter
I had hope…
Haha,

Sorry. I didn't mean to jab at your technique. YOU are the best shaver of your face!! Shaving is not the Olympics!

I'll re-quote: Anything above a Tech are equally effective tools, but more blade forward razors have a bigger window for cutting angle and are easier to use! How much window you need and how far you are willing to trade ease of use and potential irritation is YMMV!

Absolutely agree!

Technically Tech's have positive blade exposure, so if one finds and maintains the right angle, there is no reason why it can't give BBS shaves. Anything more than a Tech is just an equally "effective" blade holder.

I judge razors on how shiny and sleek they look!
But how much blade exposure do they have?
I never felt it when I used my Tech's and never got the efficiency I seeked. And I tried different angles. I sold all my Tech's!
I think gap & head geometry plays a role too.
None of my vintage razors match my best modern ones. At least those have been my results!
My Star 100 which is essentially a Tech clone by looks is probably the best one. Looks like a Tech but shaves nothing like it. It's really efficient. And my Schick Krona would have to be the other one that's really good. Other than those, the prize goes to my modern machines!

lasta

Blade Biter
But how much blade exposure do they have?
I never felt it when I used my Tech's and never got the efficiency I seeked. And I tried different angles. I sold all my Tech's!
I think gap & head geometry plays a role too.
None of my vintage razors match my best modern ones. At least those have been my results!
My Star 100 which is essentially a Tech clone by looks is probably the best one. Looks like a Tech but shaves nothing like it. It's really efficient. And my Schick Krona would have to be the other one that's really good. Other than those, the prize goes to my modern machines!

Geek out time haha: +0.09mm at 24.95 degrees!

Although I suspect there are variations between models.

lasta

Blade Biter
If you want to dig deeper, I believe I've read on some patent filings saying the optimal angle of cutting vs minimal skin damage is ~22 degree vs the growth angle of the actual hair follicles.

Because hair grows at an angle, ideally the perfect razor should shave >22 degrees WTG and <22 degrees ATG. This is not the best article I've read, but if you have time to dig, I'm sure you can find better ones:

The Tech can accommodate shaving between 21.36 and 28.17 degrees, so could be optimal for WTG, but not shallow enough for perfect ATG.

For a razor that can accommodate anything from 10-30 degrees, it will probably be way too much to still be called a "safety razor".

Maybe it's time to give straight razors a try!

lasta

Blade Biter
But then again, hair grows at different angles even on what we perceive to be "WTG" passes, technically every stroke is WTG and ATG at the same time!

So, don't bother reading too much into it. There cannot be a perfect razor!

Buy it if you like the way it looks!

I like mine shiny! Shiny razors shave me better!

Since this is my everything thread, I might as well start adding my knife purchases as well.
Just received this one today. It's a Marttiini MFK Rosewood folding knife. 3.15" Japanese stainless blade. This is the first Marttiini that I've owned. I have another model on the way too. My interest in Marttiini is that they are Made in Finland and the quality is supposed to be stellar. And from seeing and handling mine today, I can tell you that it is. It's solid, smooth and beautiful. And the amazing thing is that this knife sells for less than $40!

full

full

full

Last edited:
Level two worked so well for me, I don't even plan to try Level three. After I finish this Lupo trial... or maybe before, I plan to use the CG 2.0 L2 back to back with the Blutt 1.20... compare the two shaves. Based on memory alone, which, at my age isn't all that wise, I think the shaves will be similar. That's a huge plus since the Blutt is twice as expensive, give or take a few dollars.

I didn't wake myself up at the 10 hour mark, but based on face feel this morning, the Lupo 72OC gave me a ten hour shave. Not horrible but not quite up to my top 5 razors. Again, I will need to refresh my memory but the GC L2 is a bit more smooth, I think. That's why I've concluded... my top 5 all give me the smoothest, yet closest shaves I've had. I've had a good razor testing year and ended up with so many nice razors that will continue to work for me the rest of my life, I trust. All 5 give me a 12 hour shave. YMMV... I guess we are almost required to include that and of course, the Rocnel Elite just didn't work for Larry but works incredibly well for me. It's still odd to me that it works like that since we have a few razors in common that we both love.

@Mr. Shavington gets smooth, long lasting shaves from the Overlander and we have 5 razors in common that we both like, yet the Blutt BR-1 with the .86 base plate does for me what the Overlander does for so many other people...gives me a auto pilot shave that lasts over 10 hours. I'm sure the new owner of my gold plated Overlander will just love it.
I shaved with the level II a little while ago. I wanted to go back to it after using level IV.
I can confirm (at least for me) that level II gives the same efficiency as level IV and is very very smooth. Definitely no need for the IV!
Less blade feel but enough to make me happy.
I'm pretty sure I'll be getting rid of the level IV plate and keeping the II & III. I feel the III on par. With the II so I might as well keep it. Since I have the second backup 2.0, I'll leave the III in that one.

Anyways, Happy New Year to everyone!
Stay safe,
LRod

Top Bottom