What's new

Low/no scent aftershaves for respiratory issues?

I've been battling post-nasal drip for the past three weeks, and irritation to lungs and stomach have forced me to be more selective in what I wear. It's inspired me to do a review of aftershaves that someone with asthma or respiratory issues might use.
Currently I'm considering: Witch Hazel, low/no sent mentholated splashes like Sta-Cool and Osage Rub.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a scent preference if it is light? A lot of things in the "Colonia" scent family like 4711 are short lived.

Do you have a scent preference if it is light? A lot of things in the "Colonia" scent family like 4711 are short lived.

I think those options would be worth exploring. I'd also like to see about aftershaves/splashes where there is little or no fragrance. I'm open to any suggestions.

I think those options would be worth exploring. I'd also like to see about aftershaves/splashes where there is little or no fragrance. I'm open to any suggestions.
I thought B&M had a splash, but it is a balm. What I do is go to Maggards and go to pre/post tab and you can narrow down to aftershaves and then unscented. You do want menthol and you do want alcohol correct?

Ethos is pricy, but it is my top aftershave. You can get unscented, but you may not need to. They have custom scents too, like Rose. You need to order the menthol drops though.

Lea has a proper Sensitive Lotion that is also alcohol free.
54A93949-C881-4F93-B302-DA80C56343D1.jpeg

Lucido aftershave from Japan only has a slight alcohol scent when first applied and zero scent afterward. This used to be readily available at a reasonable price but has gotten harder to find.

1638661938470.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Witch hazel regular has 14% alcohol and that should be all that you need or another alternative is Alum block and apply wet after done shaving for 30-60 seconds and rinse with cold water is what I have been doing for 4 years when used. The reason to rinse is to remove the potassium salt residue from the skin. Alum is used in a lot of products and your drinking water from town would be treated with type of alum to remove suspended solids by congealing them and dropping out to the bottom of the tank to be removed when water treatment plant is making potable water safe for public consumption.
I prefer regular witch hazel because it is gentle to the skin (Dickenson's) and use it to also dilute strong scented aftershaves. Witch hazel has a mild quick pungent scent that dissipates quickly and is healthy for skin issues from my limited research.

lasta

Blade Biter
Lucido aftershave from Japan only has a slight alcohol scent when first applied and zero scent afterward. This used to be readily available at a reasonable price but has gotten harder to find.

View attachment 1373039
Lucido is OK. But the alcohol smell is pretty strong/obnoxious.

See if you can find Gatsby After Shave Water from the same company. Very light citrus that's gone as soon as it's dry.

Witch Hazel. I like Dickinson's the best because it's the purest. They do not dilute with water. Very soothing and the witch hazel aroma goes away rather quickly.
If you have real sensitive skin you could try Thayer's. Water is the first ingredient, witch hazel is the third. Does not smell like witch hazel, really has no aroma.

Pinaud Eau de Portugal has a very slight dry orange scent that lasts a minute or two. Spectacular splash. Very affordable.

Top Bottom