What's new

Low grit hone favorite

Hello Im a sucker for a chosera 600 when I need it. I also have the 400. Now the 400 IMO cuts very fast BUT glazes quickly so I dont find I use it that often. And when I do its always with slurry. Ive used a norton 220 which i find dishes WAY too fast to be useful as well as having used a shapton 500( not sure which though) and that cut fast and nicely as well. So my 600 is my favorite for when I need it. I have used it on almost every factory edge razor Ive gotten in and find it cuts FAAAAST and the scratch pattern is very easily managed by the 1k chosera to follow. WHat are some of your favorites? Im not looking to buy one but maybe for the sake of the newer guys, its a great tool to have on the bench for when you need it. Obviously dmts and atomas are in there as well. I personally find the dmts wear kind of quick and my chosera stones cut faster after a very short time. So IMO for $20 more(chosera 600 is about $70 and dmts are about $50) the stones outperform the plates after a short amount of time.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I enjoy the Beston 500 for knife work, but I would hesitate to use it on a razor.

Low grit? I use my DMT's exclusively for razors.

Depending on the knife, I'll use coarse Crystolon, India, Washita, or one of my two mystery stones (yellow and blue, maybe dalmores). I use DMT's on occasion, but prefer stones on most knives.

If we're extending coarse to anything that's not a finisher, it'd be hard to decide between washita's and tam o's. A good washita/tam has such a remarkably easy feel to read under a knife that no synth I've found can substitute.

Top Bottom